General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

WIndows 2003 server pop3 smtp email in Outlook in and out of the office

by nblake ·

I am trying to figure something out and I am not sure which way to go. Thanks to several people posting back to me here I have got a lot farther then I thought on my server project. Basically I have a small office with 3 people setup on server 2003 running AD, DSN, DHCP, and now a pop3/smtp. I have a full copy of Exchange, however since the office is so small, I couldn’t see the reasoning for loading it.
    The email and website are actually hosted by webhosting company.
    My dilema or problem is that 1 of my users is using Outlook 2003 and wanting to be able to get his emails, sent items, contacts, calendar, etc not only while he is in the office, but also when he travels to hotels etc. He wants to be able to open his outlook on his laptop and boom, everything is there.
    He has a desktop in the office with outlook and he has a laptop with outlook he takes with him when he travels. He basically wants both outlooks to be synched up.
    How do I do this
    I have the pop3 service installed and running on the 2003 server and have him setup with a mailbox. I tested it, and he can receive just fine, but can’t send. He is getting a relay error. I have a few things to try for that, but not sure how to handle the above.

Thanks in advance.
    Nicole

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

WebEX PC Now

by jshakal ·

In reply to WIndows 2003 server pop3 smtp email in Outlook in and out of the office

Have you considered WebEx PC Now? He would actually be logging into his PC whereever he travels. There is a free trial period if you wish to test it.

https://pcnow.webex.com/MyWebExWeb/MyWebexPortal.portal?_nfpb=true&LOGOUT=TRUE

RPC over HTTP

by mrstu_g ·

In reply to WebEX PC Now

Do some research on RPC over HTTP (HTTPS). This is what you want.

pop email

by sumant ·

In reply to WebEX PC Now

you need remote access.
        use himachi software. this access from anywhere remote computer also data.
        http://www.logmein.com
        there is instant vpn
        download and install both sides
        its free for lifetime vpn

mail server

by sumant ·

In reply to WIndows 2003 server pop3 smtp email in Outlook in and out of the office

Open Computer Management
      Expand Services and Applications, expand Internet Information Service
      Right click Default SMTP Virtual Server and click Properties
      Click the Access tab
      Click the Authentication button and make sure Anonymous Access and Integrated Windows Authentication is enabled.
      Click the Relay button and make sure Allow all computers which successfully… is enabled and Only the list below is selected.

Try this out

by admin ·

In reply to mail server

in your users outlook go to TOOLS>EMAIL ACCOUNTS. Click on there work e-mail and click change. Click on Click on more settings then click the advanced tab, under delivery option check the box that says leave a copy of mail on the server. By doing this any account that has not been updated with all changes to the mail box will get the mail.

Viewing 1 reply thread