Discussions

Windows 7 printer driver for HpLaserjet 1010

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Windows 7 printer driver for HpLaserjet 1010

lrtedesco
I cannot find a printer driver for Hplaserjet 1010 compatible with windows7 since I upgraded from XP. HP website does not offer a driver for windows7, neither does DELL or LENOVO.. Various sources suggested using Windows Vista drivers - these do not work properly on my computer. I am using a networked Dell E520 Dimension and a Lenovo Think Centre M57P with Windows7 installed on both. Any ideas please?
  • +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Try reposting this in the 'Q&A' forum. The 'Discussion' forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution. The 'Water Cooler' is for non-technical discussions. You can submit a question to 'Q&A' here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you'll find more of those members in 'Q&A' than in 'Discussions' or 'Water Cooler'.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a '+' does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won't need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as "The Answer".

However You need a New Printer as neither HP nor Microsoft provide drivers for older hardware and you'll need to replace the printer with one that has Win 7 drivers. This is a very common thing when you upgrade OS's without checking with the Windows Upgrade Advisor which will tell you what will and what will not work with a different OS.

You may be able to get 7 to install a Generic Printer Driver from it's Driver Base by using the Devices & Printer Windows and then just clicking on Install Printer and work your way through the setup procedure and manually put in HP whatever so it may partially work but it's just as likely not to work.

If you really want to retain this printer you need to write a Suitable Driver yourself or pay someone to write a suitable Win 7 Driver. Though you need to know that the Win 7 32 & 64 Bit Drivers are different and one will not work on the other system so youll have to get one written for your specific system. Sometimes the Vista Drivers do work with 7 and sometimes they do not but like 7 you need to load the correct driver for your OS so if it's a 32 Bit OS you need the 32 Bit Vista Drivers and if it's a 64 Bit OS you need the Vista 64 Bit Driver.

As Canon make the Print Engines for HP you might like to try the Canon Web Site but I'm not sure which model Printer the Canon is that is the equivalent for the 1010 HP and even they it's possible that the Cannon Driver will not provide all the functions of the HP Driver.

If you have a high enough version of 7 you could try XP Mode or Comparability Mode but that would require 7 Professional or higher in either 32 or 64 Bit and may very easily not work all that well if at all.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    nralfe

Recently I purchased an Ultrabook with Windows 7 installed. I had been using a desktop PC with Windows XP SP3 and found that my HP LaserJet 1020 printer would not work on my Ultrabook. I found the solution on the HP website. A driver released on 23 July 2012 did the trick! I installed the driver and printed a page. So it works.

For the 1010 printer I'm sure you will find it on www.hp.com.

Good luck!

• +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Try reposting this in the 'Q&A' forum. The 'Discussion' forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution. The 'Water Cooler' is for non-technical discussions. You can submit a question to 'Q&A' here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you'll find more of those members in 'Q&A' than in 'Discussions' or 'Water Cooler'.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a '+' does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won't need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as "The Answer".

However You need a New Printer as neither HP nor Microsoft provide drivers for older hardware and you'll need to replace the printer with one that has Win 7 drivers. This is a very common thing when you upgrade OS's without checking with the Windows Upgrade Advisor which will tell you what will and what will not work with a different OS.

You may be able to get 7 to install a Generic Printer Driver from it's Driver Base by using the Devices & Printer Windows and then just clicking on Install Printer and work your way through the setup procedure and manually put in HP whatever so it may partially work but it's just as likely not to work.

If you really want to retain this printer you need to write a Suitable Driver yourself or pay someone to write a suitable Win 7 Driver. Though you need to know that the Win 7 32 & 64 Bit Drivers are different and one will not work on the other system so youll have to get one written for your specific system. Sometimes the Vista Drivers do work with 7 and sometimes they do not but like 7 you need to load the correct driver for your OS so if it's a 32 Bit OS you need the 32 Bit Vista Drivers and if it's a 64 Bit OS you need the Vista 64 Bit Driver.

As Canon make the Print Engines for HP you might like to try the Canon Web Site but I'm not sure which model Printer the Canon is that is the equivalent for the 1010 HP and even they it's possible that the Cannon Driver will not provide all the functions of the HP Driver.

If you have a high enough version of 7 you could try XP Mode or Comparability Mode but that would require 7 Professional or higher in either 32 or 64 Bit and may very easily not work all that well if at all.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    nralfe

Recently I purchased an Ultrabook with Windows 7 installed. I had been using a desktop PC with Windows XP SP3 and found that my HP LaserJet 1020 printer would not work on my Ultrabook. I found the solution on the HP website. A driver released on 23 July 2012 did the trick! I installed the driver and printed a page. So it works.

For the 1010 printer I'm sure you will find it on www.hp.com.

Good luck!