General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Windows based program to edit garageband files?

by fuzz1303 ·

I am curious if there is a program available that is window based but will edit a garageband file? I am forced to use garageband for a music class at school which is fine, but I am unable to meet the deadlines for projects in the allotted class time, and am unable to use the lab outside of class due to work. I don’t want to export the file to a .mov or similar file that is mixed down to a single file, as i need to be able to edit it still. Any suggestions?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

How to Transfer GarageBand files to Windows for Editing

by mrblasto ·

In reply to Windows based program to edit garageband files?

Using the Mac’s finder, go to the location where the GarageBand project folder is located. On my mac that’s /username/Music/GarageBand, where ‘username’ is the user whose account you’re running under. Right click (or control click if you’re using a touch pad instead of a mouse) and select “Show Package Contents”. Then open the Media folder. You should see the individual audio files that make up your project. Tracks recorded yourself are stored as .aif files. Apple loops you’ve dragged into the project are stored as .caf files. Unfortunately, I haven’t yet found where midi files are stored (you can convert them into audio if needed within GarageBand). You can then copy them to a Windows PC and use Audacity or a commercial multitrack to edit them and move them back to the GarageBand folder. Note that the GarageBand mixer settings or any effects attached to the track are not included and if you’ve added tracks to the mix on windows, these audio files will have to be imported into GarageBand. Also, I’m not aware of any windows apps that edit or convert .caf files except for libsndfile which can’t open aac encoded audio (all the loops I’ve looked at that come with GarageBand are in this format).

Viewing 0 reply threads