General discussion

Windows ME or Windows 2000

By Virgo 15 ·
What is the difference between the two? I have heard if you have Windows ME you'd be better off with Windows 2000.

Would it be expensive to change programs?

Thank you,
A.Murphy

murphyanniem@msn.com
MA

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CGI?001 In reply to Windows ME or Windows 200 ...

Win ME was the last in the series of Windows9x.
Win2k is based on Windows NT (alike WinXP)
Big advantage, Win2K has a better stability (ME is well, hmmm, it sucks, sorry for the word). Security is another BIG advantage: if you install using NTFS your better off. For example the worms registering keystrokes to obtain passwords got alot more probs to get it done. Go for the PRO version though.
Why not XP then? the registration and licensing is main reason NOT to... Secondly, XP will be stable after SP3 or SP4 will be released. Hitparade of MS OS:
On 1: Windows 2000 Pro
On 2: Windows 2000
On 3: XP pro
Sorry ME isnt considered at all here.
Pricing? 2Kpro is for sure more expensive than ME, cheaper than XP.
Hope this cmakes ya see the tree in the forest...

Collapse -

by CGI?001 In reply to Windows ME or Windows 200 ...

Q: In reference to Windows 2000, NT 4.0, Windows 98/ 98 Second Edition (SE) and Windows 95, how would you rank the stability of the Windows XP platform?

A: With reference to Windows 2000, stability has increased drastically. If you have ever used Windows 2000, you know that it was, at one point in time, Microsoft's most stable O/S. On a scale of stability 1 - 10, here is what I would rank each:

XP: 10.0
Windows 2000: 9.5
NT 4.0: 8.0
Windows 98 SE: 7.0
Windows 98: 6.5
Windows 95: 5.0
Windows ME (Millenium Edition). ranks about the same as NT 4.0 with an 8.0

This is the rating given from M$ insiders. Which implements, I do not completely agree with it.

Collapse -

by Virgo 15 In reply to Windows ME or Windows 200 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by RAMAC-9846778 In reply to Windows ME or Windows 200 ...

ME is the last of the 9x OSs and 2000 is based on an NT kernel. 2000 is more stable in most respects and far more capable in the area of security but you have to consider what the design goal of each OS is.

ME was designed to be a multimedia system and 2000 is designed to be a business OS. If you have older games or graphics software that you use then stick with ME. A lot of games will not work with 2000 unless they were specifically designed for it.

ME is very stable contrary to what most people say. I have ME on an HP (this one dual boots to ME and 2000 Pro)a COMPAQ, and a Toshiba laptop. The biggest problem with ME is that you MUST update your drivers by visiting the vendors web sites. ME glitches are usually caused by CDs, video cards etc. that do not have drivers designed to work with ME.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

I needed simple direct information, which is what I received.

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums