General discussion

Windows Server 2003 modem not answering

By dbraff ·
I have Windows Server 2003 with an external USRobotics serial modem. The modem is configured for incoming connections. I have been diagnosing a problem wherein the modem will not answer a dial-in attempt.

I found that when the modem works, the CS (Clear-to-Send) and TR (Terminal Ready) lights are on. When the modem does not answer, the TR light is off.

When I replaced the modem with another modem, the TR light did not come on. If I disable the modem via Control Panel>Device Manager>Modems>General tab, the TR light goes off (and I cannot enable it again from that display).

The only way I have found to get the modem to answer (i.e., get the TR light on) is to do a restart of the server. During the restart, I see the server query the modem. Shortly after the logon prompt window appears, the modem TR light comes on, and all is well.

I expect there is a way to reset the modem without doing a complete restart, but I have not found it yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Windows Server 2003 modem ...

so you are saying, you can go into Hyperterminal and give it the at commands to answer (ATA) and see the TR light come on?
gee. if we had a model number maybe we could help better. without more data, i would say, sounds like you are hot on the trail. lots of ways to force a reset. i would be examining the dip switches on the thing and visiting the usr website for help and manuals...

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)