General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Windows Vista Networking problem

by Anonymous ·

Hi! I recently got a Vista Premium laptop with 2GB RAM and build-in wireless. It was working fine origionally, but all of a sudden, the networking stopped working. I cant connect to my home network. I can connect to ANY other network. Just not my home network. Every other computer in my house uses the same network, and they all work just fine, its just MY laptop. Yes, I’ve contacted Toshiba Support. Yes, they told me to reset my router, or modem, or whatever, but the problem is, I use an access point thats near my house. I dont own the router, modem, or even the network. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Yes, the wireless switch IS on. And yes, I’ve restarted the computer THOUSANDS of time since it stopped working. Just to let you know…

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Not much info

by computercookie ·

In reply to Windows Vista Networking problem

Try this link and see how you go;http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/networking.mspx

If you don’t have any sucess please post a question and supply some details re hardware and OS’s.

What should you do?

by nicknielsen ·

[i]…I use an access point thats near my house. I dont own the router, modem, or even the network. [/i]

What you [u]should[/u] do is contact a local provider and get your own connection to the internet. If you already have one, spend $50-$60 and get a wireless router.

From your post, I suspect the owner of the access point has not given you permission to use his service. It’s entirely possible your neighbor has blocked your laptop’s MAC address from his AP.

Using your neighbor’s link without permission is wrong. Until you have your own wireless link, it’s not likely anyone here will help you.

Re: What should you do?

by Anonymous ·

In reply to What should you do?

1. I dont really have the money for my own connection right now, when I do, I will get one, but right now, I dont.

2. Is there some way I can change my computers MAC address?

Thanks!

Laptop

by shasca ·

In reply to Re: What should you do?

You could get another Laptop, that would change it.

Oh wait then they could just block that Mac too!!! dam!!!

Do you have TCP/IPv6 disabled?

by maxwell edison ·

Start – Network – Network and Sharing Center – Manage Network Connections – Right Click on Local Area Connection – Properties – Uncheck TCP/IPv6 – OK

By the way…

by Anonymous ·

In reply to Do you have TCP/IPv6 disabled?

Whenever I try to connect, it says “Windows cannot connect”. I click “Disgnose”, it says “Windows Wireless Assosiation Failed due to an unknown reason”.

That’s the problem, then

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to By the way…

Your neighbor either has encrypted his wireless or has blocked your laptop’s MAC address. If you cannot afford your own connection, your only recourse now is to use your laptop only in those establishments that provide free wi-fi for their customers.

Re: That’s the problem, then

by Anonymous ·

In reply to That’s the problem, then

I know they couldnt have encrypted it, because my other computer works perfectly with it. Its just my laptop. If it is the MAC address, is there some way I can change my MAC address?

Search the web

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to Re: That’s the problem, then

You will find numerous methods for doing it. Sorry, but I won’t assist you; I consider what you’re doing to be theft of service.

Well first off

by dumphrey ·

“I use an access point thats near my house. I dont own the router, modem, or even the network. What should I do?”

The fact that you can connect in other locations means your computer is fine.

Do you have permission to use the access point? If so, contact the access point owners and see if they have changed the encryption key. Also, sometimes it helps to delete the wireless network profile and recreate it, I have found the Vista wireless to be a PITA. Much less stable then XP.

If you have been using the access point with out permission (this is illegal btw) then you really have no way of reconnecting if they have changed their broadcast parameters.

Had the same issue last week

by oz_media ·

Except mine was a problem with DHCP starting but never actually being STARTED almost like it was hung up.

I rolled back the system restore clock to the last day it worked, 3 days earlier and it was up and running no prob.

Note, when you use system restore it does not delete all the files you have acquired for the last few days sinc eteh restors point, it only reverts the main system settings and registry keys to ensure evrything is back to normal.

Worth a shot, why diagnose when you can revert a few days?

Re: Had the same issue last week

by Anonymous ·

In reply to Had the same issue last week

I’m sure that a rollback wouldnt work. I’ve done a complete system restore since then, if it was an uninstalled program or missing system file, it would have brought that back.

Right

by oz_media ·

In reply to Re: Had the same issue last week

I forgot about the restore.

I assume you mean you ran a complete deletion of your C drive, reformat and restore right? Sometimes just throwing a restore disk in will only replace altered system files.

Just food for thought, missed part of your post when I threw out my reply.

If you really want help you should try posting in the Questions forum instead of Discussions. People wait there to help with this stuff.

Re: Right

by Anonymous ·

In reply to Right

Yeah. I know, I accidentally clicked the “Discussions” button instead. And didn’t notice it in time to change it. But, oh well…

Double post -NT-

by oz_media ·

NT

hi friend

by dpicollege ·

hi friend i read your text.
      actually win vista have some problem as u told.
      before you want to connect to router it’s good to restart your windows..
      close all download manager
      try to ping your router
      if u have any problem you can contact me
      dpicollege@yahoo.com

Viewing 6 reply threads