General discussion

Windows2000

By Spectre ·
Advantages and disadvantages of Windows 2000

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

19 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows2000

by csheltcomp In reply to Windows2000

Plug and Play...DVD Support over NT...USB support over NT..Stability...Excellent hardware support(better than win98, etc...)I am running now for 6 mo's and have had no crashes yet...This OS also has an extremely clever recovery console in case of crash. It also has many disk imaging options for larger networks..It is definitely a plus for the workplace.

Collapse -

Windows2000

by Spectre In reply to Windows2000

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Windows2000

by wired_777 In reply to Windows2000

The first response summed it up best with NT stability and plug-play O/S.I have been running 2000 for about 2 months now. The only problems I have had are related to drivers.
The disadvantages include many vendors do not have drivers available, like NT4.0, not all hardware is supported. Check the Hardware Compatiblilty List at the MS website.
One of the best features is a file protection system that will automatically replace system files!!! You can delete ntkern. Empty the recycle bin. Then about 30-45 seconds later watch it reappear in the winnt/system folder. REALLY COOL!
It is not designed for a multimedia use. It does have the capability, but Windows98SE currently offers more support for video/sound hardware and software.

Collapse -

Windows2000

Collapse -

Windows2000

by tim.culham In reply to Windows2000

Certainly more adv than disadv. Multimedia (sorry wired777) is a bit advantage to Win2000. Yes, check out the HCL first, but most major vendors will have drivers shortly, check their websites.

Active Directory is awesome (read technet for more info), dynamic disks (ability to move RAID from one system to another and have it autoconfig itself), supports all file systems (except HPFS, but then again, who cares?), runs faster than NT4 on decent hardware. Ability to run files as another username/password without logging out/in, most software installations do not require a reboot (windows reconfigs itself on the fly (for most)). Booting 2k with no domain controller available, it will attach to the conroller when it becomes available (no reboot), Plug & Play, support for dual processor (games will soon support this), DVD support, more stable OS, improved security, trusts are now transitive, no PDC/BDC (everything exists as a logical tree). I could go on and on. Just use it and you will be sending an email li

Collapse -

Windows2000

Collapse -

Windows2000

by btriefus In reply to Windows2000

Having just watched the launch I guess I must say Win2K is scalable and reliable. Having just done battle with trying to install it on my ( admittedly older ) equipment I have to rate it H for hard. I had to flash the bios, remove a sound card , Buya bigger Hard drive and add 64mb of ram, I suppose now it is in I may even buy the software. Yeah I guess I will.

Collapse -

Windows2000

Collapse -

Windows2000

by MCSE Lee In reply to Windows2000

For business use, the above answers sum it all up pretty nicely. For home use, it's too much system - wait for Millenium.

Collapse -

Windows2000

Back to Desktop Forum
19 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums