General discussion

WindowsXP/Windows2000 folder sharing user limit

By ogleg ·
I would like to increase the number of users that can access the shared folder in WindowsXP/Windows2000. Currently the maximum number of users is 10. Can anyone help me. Thanks. God bless.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

And the answer is....

by BFilmFan In reply to WindowsXP/Windows2000 fol ...

No. You are limited to 10 IP connections max in the desktop OSes made by Microsoft.

You will need Windows Server to overcome that issue.

Collapse -

tweak

by ogleg In reply to And the answer is....

Thanks for the reply. How about tweak on this one? Would it be possible for us to do it in registry? Thanks again. Hope to hear from you soon. God bless.

Collapse -

alternative idea

by grbeckmeyer In reply to WindowsXP/Windows2000 fol ...

How about setting up an FTP server? Not quite the same thing, but depending on what you want to do it might accomplish the same goal. I would recommend Filezilla for testing, it won't modify your system as much as Microsoft's server will.

Collapse -

real objective

by ogleg In reply to alternative idea

I really would like to share files, which is common. Like music files, they can play it in simultaneous access. Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. God bless.

Collapse -

How about Linux?

by oliver.malkin In reply to real objective

I am having the same problem. We have an IT learning suite of 12 computers and require learners to access resources on a network folder. Sadly our budget doesn't stretch to Windows Server. Maybe it is possible to install linux on the machine that shares out the Network Folder. Is it possible for more than 10 Windows XP workstations to access a Network Folder on a Linux based system(preferably open source?

Collapse -

by Retrace In reply to How about Linux?

How many machines do you have hosting the file(s)?

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)