General discussion

winlinux 2000 ???

By two570 ·
i am newbie in linux. recently, come across this linux named winlinux 2000 at,

http://www.winlinux.net/

anyone who have tried this out, pls let me your experience on this winlinux. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

winlinux 2000 ???

by rearviewmirror In reply to winlinux 2000 ???

Thanks for the pointer to WinLinux, I downloaded it and loaded it on a spare Win98 Machine...it is having trouble just like Redhat and Caldera with the Diamond Speedstar A50, but all in all it a really good product for people who want to play with Linux without wiping out there existing Windows platform. The installation of the product is amazingly simple, and it works great. I haven't experimented with the functionality yet, and it would never get used as a server, due to the fact of not needing windows below it for that reason. It is neat though, next I am going to experiment with it on an NT machine, basically to see if the two are compatible.

Collapse -

winlinux 2000 ???

by two570 In reply to winlinux 2000 ???

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

winlinux 2000 ???

by rearviewmirror In reply to winlinux 2000 ???

OK..I got the Diamond Speedstar A50 issues figured out, you have to use SiS 6326 instead of the detected diamond setting and it works great. WinLinux is one great setup, it pulls all settings in from Win95/98, so you can't differentiate between DHCP or manual, whatever Windows has the Linux config has. So once installed it takes on your current network settings. I am going to recommend this product to anyone who wants to learn Linux. Use that Get Right program that they have on the WinLinuxhome page, it really takes the stress out of downloading a 128MB file. Good Luck!!!

Collapse -

winlinux 2000 ???

Collapse -

winlinux 2000 ???

by rond In reply to winlinux 2000 ???

Great! A generic question...

This is a fairly non-denominational distribution of the Linux kernel, optimized to use Windows PnP for hardware recognition, followed by a(n) MS-DOS reboot to Linux OS.

Although somewhat lacking in terms of inclusive 'packages' -- specifically GNU applets -- downloadble executables can be configured thru RPM format from any of numerous sources, most notably www.linux.org and www.gnu.org.

These sites will provide you with the essential links to everything needed to make Linux of all flavors usable for home office/business users, rendering one productive in the workplace...

'zoid

Collapse -

winlinux 2000 ???

Collapse -

winlinux 2000 ???

by evilsteve In reply to winlinux 2000 ???

I downloaded it and attempted an installation on an NT 4.0 machine. Unfortunately, I didn't have a Windows 9x machine with enough space to install it:( Although it wasn't able to derive hardware settings from NT, it did copy the system over, and Iwas able to determine not to recommend it. It installs on an existing FAT ir FAT32 filesystem. A basic installation which would require roughly 300 meg on a native Linux ext2 file system required over 1 gig of space on a FAT partition. Also, if you install Linux on a FAT filesystem with Windows installed, you can kiss any idea of local security goodbye.

I've been using Linux for a few years now and have tried all the big name distro's and most of the offshoots. I think they're all great,however I feel WinLinux 2000 may leave a sour taste in your mouth for Linux.

The easiest real Linux to install is Caldera OpenLinux 2.3. If you can install Windows, you should have no dificulty installing Caldera. Redhat and it's offshoots like Mandrake and Independ

Collapse -

winlinux 2000 ???

Collapse -

winlinux 2000 ???

by Ronaldo In reply to winlinux 2000 ???

I've tried WinLinux2000 and I was satisfied with it.

There are some things that should be mentioned about WinLinux2000.

First of all, it isn't a REAL Linux system, once installed. The Linux-touted security isn't there (anyone can look at the files since it uses the same partition as Windows).

Secondly, the WinLinux system runs a bit slow. It doesn't seem as fast a system as a true Linux filesystem. I'm assuming that it's because it's sharing the FAT system with Windows.

Third:It wasn't meant to be a replacement for Linux. It was meant for those who don't want to mess with partitions and an installation that they may not understand. It is meant for those who may want to experiment with Linux but not to the point that they may lose their current information or OS.

True Linux afficiados won't like WinLinux, IMO, simply because it's not Linux and doesn't perform like Linux.

Let's also not forget that there are other Linux's out there that perform like WinLinux:ZipSlack is one. It

Collapse -

winlinux 2000 ???

Back to Linux Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Operating Systems Forums