General discussion

won't boot after instal Verto MX 440-SE

By jmarchetto ·
I recently purchased a PNY Verto MX 440-SE AGP video card. It was to replace a Radeon 7500 AGP that was removed for my gaming system (hey, I am on a budget). I went back to using my old Voodoo 3500 while I waited to make the purchase. The Voodoo card had no software with it, so the only thing I could uninstall was the card in the device manager, which I did, then shut down the pc.

I swapped the card out for the new one and powered up the system. It locked up during the boot up of Win XP Prof. I forced-shut down and then turned it on again. This time I chose the safe mode and it ran through the drivers loading until it got hung up (again) on "giveio.sys" in the system32 directory (not "drivers" directory like everything else loading). This is where it kept getting stuck no matter what I tried including reverting back to previous working start-up). I went to the mobo's website (Epox) and downloaded new 4-in-1 VIA drivers (suggested in manual). These drivers support AGP 3.0 (I only need 2.0) and still no luck. Way back when I originally loaded the Radeon card, it had no issues (I realize they are different cards, but roughly same specs/class). If anyone had simlar problem, a remedy, knowlege of "giveio.sys", or a suggestion(s), I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

The card specs:
64MB DDR AGP2.0 or higher

PC:
Epox 7-kxa
Athlon 750
256 SDRAM
Win XP Prof.
17" Envision Monitor (which will change to only TV once I get this problem fixed.)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to won't boot after instal V ...

Have you tried putting the VooDOO card back in?

Did you remove the VooDoo card from device manager before shutting down and swapping cards?
If you do not tell Windows that the old card is gone, it can have all kinds of problems with startup, andinstalling the drivers for the new card.

How about power?
Did you un-plug, or switch off the power supply?
In an ATX system, there is still power on the motherboard when the PC shuts down.
You MUST shut off, or unplug the power supply when changing cards, or either the card or motherboard can be damaged.

You may end up needing to boot from your XP CD, and running the recovery console to 'repair' the video driver problem.

Chas

Collapse -

by jmarchetto In reply to won't boot after instal V ...

Yes, I did uninstall teh Voodoo Cadrd in the device manager (i mentioned I did that in orignal post). I did turn off the power switch on the power supply too.

I did not try the XP CD yet.

-Jim

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to won't boot after instal V ...

Boot the computer into safe mode,then uninstall all the other video cards that are listed in Device Manager.

Once this is completed load the drivers from the cd rom that accompany with video card,it may have the correct drivers,then go to manufacturers web site and download the updated drivers

Collapse -

Unfortunatly, the driver setup program queries the system for the new card. If the new card is not installed, then the setup stops immediatly. Since I can not boot with the new card, this will not work. I am working on some remedies PNY sent me.(So far no luck.)

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)