id="info"

Question

Word 2007 Opens SLOWLY Because of External Excel Links

By mgriffith ·
I have numerous word documents that have hundreds of external links to a dynamic excel spreadsheet. Using Word 2003 and setting links to a 'manual' setting, I have been able to use this as a great process tool in my business. However, in new Word 2007 xml format, the documents take forever to load due to the external links. It doesn't matter if I choose to have the links update automatically upon open or not, it still appears that Word is interacting with the excel file no matter what. In Word 2003 I set the links to manual and it would not interact with excel until I 'forced' it to do so on an ad hoc basis. However, it does not appear that Word 2007 is working the same, whether thelinks are set to manual or not. If anyone has a workaround for this please let me know, as I can't switch to the new file format in Office until this is fixed.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Word 2007 Opens SLOWLY Because of External Excel Links

by matthew In reply to Word 2007 Opens SLOWLY Be ...

We experianced this same problem, if you open that excel file and then open your word file it will open normally. We have had to open 2 cases so far with issues. If you have Formatted Text Links(RTF) in the header and body of the document the header links are corrupted and don't update you need to manually update them with a vba script with autoopen. If you open a case for this you won't be charged since it's obviously not the behavior wanted. I don't think you could write a vba script to auto open that excel doc though, because that first updating of the links you are talking about happens before autoopen is executed. I would definately bring this up with microsoft and file a case. I mentioned it to them on my last talk with them, but didn't file a case. Write back if that fixes your issue if the excel doc is opened and then the word doc.

Collapse -

Same problem with PowerPoint as well

by pan In reply to Word 2007 Opens SLOWLY Be ...

I get this same problem as well - with PowerPoint as well as Word. Both apps will open Excel in the background no matter what update option is selected. Anyone have any info on this?

Collapse -

Same problem with PowerPoint as well

by simon.hogg In reply to Same problem with PowerPo ...

We have the same issue with PPT 2007, real problem for us so we called Microsoft.

We logged a call, reference number SRQ080522600435 and they were able to replicate this and acknowledge this as a bug.

Unfortunately, it seems MS will not do anything to fix this until more people log the call as an issue and it is deemed important enough to fix.

So, I would suggest anyone with this issue call MS and explain they also have this issue and ask to know when it will be fixed.

Collapse -

We have the exact same problem after upgrading to 2007

by ted.hansen In reply to Word 2007 Opens SLOWLY Be ...

Have you found a fix or work around for this issue? I desperately need a solution.

Collapse -

Microsoft Needs to Fix this KNOWN Bug

by lsangree In reply to We have the exact same pr ...

We have also logged it with MS and they have acknowledged it is a known bug. The workaround they suggested for now is to save all documents in the old 2003 format (.doc instead of .docx. This does speed it up but of course we cannot use any of the new functionality!

Collapse -

Any Update from Microsoft to this KNOWN Bug

by myrondabs In reply to Microsoft Needs to Fix th ...

I too have been having this problem. Has Microsoft come up with a fix. I have tried the SP2 and it did not fix the problem.

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums