Question

XP Install and a 8800GTX

By Penguin_me ·
Well, I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to sort this problem out, and I can't find anything which works yet.
The problem is this:
I've recently built a new system (Intel E8500 1333MHz FSB, 2GB DDR3 1333MHz FSB, WD 5000 500GB Drive and a 8800GTX) the XP install will get as far as the GUI part of the install, but will instantly hang there. I think it's an issue with the card support in XP (hanging at the GUI tends to suggest that...). I'm using a SP2 CD (SP2 is needed for PCI-E) and I've tried a vanilla SP2 disc, and ones slipstreamed with all the drivers I could find for my hardware, nothing works. I don't have another PCI-E card, no AGP slot, and I don't have the cash to buy another one. Has anyone come across this problem before ? Any suggestions ? I'm at the stage now where if I can't sort it soon, I'm going to have to take it to a computer shop and get them to do it. I'd rather not do that... So, any suggestions ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Can you install XP with a different card?

by seanferd In reply to XP Install and a 8800GTX

Then install the 8800 afterwards?
Edit for clarity: I mean, like borrow one temporarily.

Try older XP drivers for this?

Or, have you tried pressing F6 to try and install the drivers early in the XP install process?

Collapse -

make sure

by david.wallis In reply to XP Install and a 8800GTX

if this card needs power plugging into it, that you have plugged this in, it may be the card isnt getting enough power.

if your motherbaord has onboard VGA you can take out your 8800 and use the onboard to install windows, see if you still have issues?

Collapse -

Yep...

by Penguin_me In reply to make sure

Believe me, the NVIDIA forums are full of people having issues due to not connecting the 2 extra power cables (yes, that's right, 2 extra ones) I know that everything is plugged in, seated properly etc. those are the first things I checked.
It doesn't have onboard graphics of any type - when you spend this much on a MOBO (?167) they expect you to have a separate card.
I'm going to try and nab another card off a friend of mine soon and try that, I've only just found out he has a PCIE card, hence not trying earlier. As for drivers, I've slipstreamed various Install discs with every driver I could find for my hardware (including extra ones for G/Cards) in various combinations to no avail. I'll try the other card and let you know what happens.

Collapse -

Final Update...

by Penguin_me In reply to Yep...

Well, It's been a while since I updated this, so for anyone who comes across this thread, it wasn't a problem with the 8800. The problem eventually turned out to be "incompatible RAM" (the shop I took it to to test the parts said "we know technically it's bull, but there's nothing wrong with the RAM, it just doesn't work in your computer). So, I got some new RAM, and everything's fine.

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums