Questions

256 MB enough?

+
1 Votes

256 MB enough?

wompai
Hey, guys

I am going to make a computer out of scrap and donate it to charity, but I've got this 256MB DDR Memory chip, is this enough to run windows XP on? It is only going to be used for social-networking and surfing on the net. Its not going to be used as game-computer. To make a long story short: It's not gonna be used for heavy-duty tasks and programs.

Is 256 MB enough?

Thanks in advance

Clarifications

whiterose_umair

it depend on your work. if you want that you run games and other graphical programs it may be difficult to run. it also depend upon your system if your hard disk is less space like 10 GB or 20 GB it also work better than 40 GB hard disk with help of 256 RAM.

• +
    1 Votes
    robo_dev

As long as the clock speed is at least 2.4GHZ or so, and the hard drive is not some ancient Maxtor 40, it will run XP. Not well, but it will run. If you really tweak it (shut off services and startup programs you don't need) then it may be useable.

The issue is that the hard drive will really thrash with only 256, so if it's an old and slow hard drive, the system will crawl.

+
    0 Votes
    wompai

It's a 1.5 GHz AMD sempron and has a Maxtor 20GB HDD.

+
    1 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

but it sure wasn't pretty. 256 isn't too bad, but if you could get your hands a little more, it would run smoother.

+
    0 Votes
    Ternarybit

Because ubuntu runs best on XFS, and XFS loves the memory even more than it loves being obtuse. Between that and a virtual file system, I wouldn't run ubuntu on anything < 1gb

+
    0 Votes
    wompai

What about Xubuntu?

+
    2 Votes
    Nunob

If you have onboard video you may want to either look for an add on video card or at bare minimum go into the BIOS and make sure it is stealing as little as possible say 8MB's. If you have any extra hard drives you could toss one on a separate controller and move the pagefile to it which may help some. You can find lots of tips also for things like disabling the effects in XP that all will add up.

+
    1 Votes
    doug m.

XP, in my opinion, really should have 512 as a bare minimum. You are planning on running some sort of anti-virus, right? That alone will place a burden on the RAM.

+
    0 Votes
    pivotmac

Nuf said.

+
    0 Votes
    JamesRL

My parents had an old PC that I set up for them as a browser/email only box, running Win2K, which is less demanding than XP. They had 512MB and a 2Ghz processor.

And once you load it up with things like, antivirus, antispyware, flash, java etc, its pretty darn slow.

+
    0 Votes
    SarahC_

With 512MB, the computer can swap between a couple of applications without stuttering to a standstill.

I'd still leave all the fancy effects off Windows, and leave the desktop plane blue though.

+
    0 Votes
    Juanita Marquez

Lots of RAM covers a lot of sins, where applications are concerned. I've seen some older systems do quite well when there is RAM aplenty.

+
    0 Votes
    wompai

it's a 1.5 GHz AMD sempron... XD

But I'm hoping on adding an extra 256 plus there's a separate video-card (AGP) and HDD (for paging). I'm planning on tweaking windows and installing a stripped version of windows to remove all functions I don't need.

I want to thank you for the quick (and a lot of) replies.

• +
    1 Votes
    robo_dev

As long as the clock speed is at least 2.4GHZ or so, and the hard drive is not some ancient Maxtor 40, it will run XP. Not well, but it will run. If you really tweak it (shut off services and startup programs you don't need) then it may be useable.

The issue is that the hard drive will really thrash with only 256, so if it's an old and slow hard drive, the system will crawl.

+
    0 Votes
    wompai

It's a 1.5 GHz AMD sempron and has a Maxtor 20GB HDD.

+
    1 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

but it sure wasn't pretty. 256 isn't too bad, but if you could get your hands a little more, it would run smoother.

+
    0 Votes
    Ternarybit

Because ubuntu runs best on XFS, and XFS loves the memory even more than it loves being obtuse. Between that and a virtual file system, I wouldn't run ubuntu on anything < 1gb

+
    0 Votes
    wompai

What about Xubuntu?

+
    2 Votes
    Nunob

If you have onboard video you may want to either look for an add on video card or at bare minimum go into the BIOS and make sure it is stealing as little as possible say 8MB's. If you have any extra hard drives you could toss one on a separate controller and move the pagefile to it which may help some. You can find lots of tips also for things like disabling the effects in XP that all will add up.

+
    1 Votes
    doug m.

XP, in my opinion, really should have 512 as a bare minimum. You are planning on running some sort of anti-virus, right? That alone will place a burden on the RAM.

+
    0 Votes
    pivotmac

Nuf said.

+
    0 Votes
    JamesRL

My parents had an old PC that I set up for them as a browser/email only box, running Win2K, which is less demanding than XP. They had 512MB and a 2Ghz processor.

And once you load it up with things like, antivirus, antispyware, flash, java etc, its pretty darn slow.

+
    0 Votes
    SarahC_

With 512MB, the computer can swap between a couple of applications without stuttering to a standstill.

I'd still leave all the fancy effects off Windows, and leave the desktop plane blue though.

+
    0 Votes
    Juanita Marquez

Lots of RAM covers a lot of sins, where applications are concerned. I've seen some older systems do quite well when there is RAM aplenty.

+
    0 Votes
    wompai

it's a 1.5 GHz AMD sempron... XD

But I'm hoping on adding an extra 256 plus there's a separate video-card (AGP) and HDD (for paging). I'm planning on tweaking windows and installing a stripped version of windows to remove all functions I don't need.

I want to thank you for the quick (and a lot of) replies.