Questions

Acer 9630 Cannot get Wireless to Enable

+
0 Votes

Acer 9630 Cannot get Wireless to Enable

jaybrook
I am used to XP pro, so I am not sure if I am missing something here...

I am trying to get an Acer 9630 (Vista Ultimate) to connect to the internet Wirelessly.

1. The button for wireless internet does not work.
2. I have updated every driver I can think of (broadcom,chipset etc), all windows updates are installed.
3. It does connect via the ethernet lead.
4. Device Manager etc says all is working normally.
5. Acers Management settings say the Wireless Lan (Broadcam 802.11g) is disconnected.

Any suggestions? I need this laptop to work wirelessly as having a leading trailing around is not practicle! I am hoping the solution is starting me in the face, it is driving me batty.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.
  • +
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

If you want to ENABLE the wireless, you'll have to DISABLE the wired connection first, since you can't have both turned on at the same time.

Go to Control Panel and select Classic View. Click on the Network Communications icon and you'll (I think) find the wired and wireless sitting side by side - Disable the wired option then Enable the wireless.

Try connecting now in the way you've already tried. It should work.

:)

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

It does not make any difference wether or not the Ethernet Cable is connected/ disabled Thanks for your suggestion.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Jeez, y'know, sometimes I wonder why I bother answering some of you CLOWNS!!!

I wasn't talking about your ethernet cable!!!

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Next you'll be telling me you've got an ethernet cable plugged into your Control Panel will you?

READ SOMETHING - DON'T JUST ASSUME!!

Otherwise get down off your cross because someone else could do with the wood!

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

There is no need to be rude.

I meant wired not Ethernet, I made a typo.

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

As I have already said there is no need to be rude. I made a typo saying ethernet cable as I was explaining to someone what it was whilst I was typing.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

You have a wired form of communication (this is the Ethernet cable) which forms the Local Area Connection.

You also have a wireless form of communication, this is the Wireless Network Connection.

You should view these two forms of communication as a Y junction at the end of a single track road - which way to go is the question. You CANNOT go down both routes at the same time.

The Y junction for the laptop is LOCAL or WIRELESS - but not both. Therefore if the computer is currently set up for the wired option, you MUST DISABLE the wired option BEFORE selecting the wireless.

Otherwise it would be the computer equivalent of you trying to place one foot on each path, having your legs stretched further and further apart as the paths diverged.

Now PLEASE - read it again. :)

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

I have done all that you suggested, it does not work. I think that the hardware must be at fault. I have disabled the wired/ethernet cable then tried to connect using the wireless and it does not work. I have done this using the acer software and the device manager.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Have you witnessed whether Wireless Connection is ENABLED within Control Panel ?

I am typing this on an old ACER Aspire running XP and when I bought it back in 2005 (yes - a 4-year-old ACER !) the first thing I did was to ignore the in-built ACER software. When I came to reinstall at some later point due to a self-inflicted error, I deleted all the ACER software because although I'm perfectly happy with my little workhorse, I wouldn't use ACER software to wipe my ar$e - it's full of holes.

So, I'll ask again - have you checked inside Windows Vista Control Panel ??

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

Usaully I dont use the software that comes with the computer for the wireless etc I but as I had turned the wired off everywhere else including the control panel before enabling the wireless I thought I would give it a go.

+
    0 Votes
    lifeisfare

Hello Jay,
    From what you mentioned above, sounds like the antenna is off or not working.
    Did you check to make sure it is on?

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

It does appear to be on, there is no obvious reason for it not to work. I am begining to think the hardware may not be functioning.

Thank you for your help.

+
    0 Votes

You will have to do a search for your wireless router and then select the correct router to connect to. You will be asked for a Password to log in to do so. You might need to go into your routers web page and then select the wireless (wifi) section to make sure that it is Enabled.
    Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

Yes I have searched for the wireless router and it does not find anything. Other laptops connect to the router so I know the router is ok. Even tried making sure no else was connected to the internet, to rule out the router being too busy.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

in case this particular problem becomes filled with non-said things, and we all end up thinking differently.

You have DISABLED the LAN connection
    You have ENABLED the wireless connection

Your wireless switch (on the chassis) is ON
    Your system is reporting wireless disconnected.

It's the last point that puzzles me. Mind you, I'm not running Vista so that may be MY confusion as well as the OP. It's just that I've never witnessed a wireless system report as being 'Disconnected' mainly because that is an impossibility.

The wireless system, if ON, cannot report being disconnected - it can only ever report on the strength of received signals (ranging from Excellent down to Fair) together with 'Limited or No Connectivity'.

Maybe the 'Disconnected' report is a Vista thing, at which point I ought to exit stage left since I'm not qualified to comment.

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

Yes to;

It is baffling as I have not heard of this and thought it was impossible too. Which is why I asked for help. This is the first time a computer has ever got me stumped.

Going to see if I can find out some more history on the computer, I know there has been a lot of issues around xp when upgraded to vista etc, if it was upgraded this could have caused a problem somewhere or it could be the hardware is faulty. So will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help.

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

ipconfig.exe /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Laptop 4
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-7E-A2-90-2D
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D4-E4-79-91
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4563:49fb:e411:e279%8(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.9(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 03 May 2009 12:47:38
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 04 May 2009 12:47:38
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{0BCFE32B-D7D2-4113-B96B-ED87F422F9D8}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{65EF1A70-FDF1-40DE-AF22-876C0965B86A}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:d5c7:a2d6:40a:35e2:3f57:fff6(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::40a:35e2:3f57:fff6%9(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.home

Thought this might help.

+
    0 Votes

That is the cause right there, get hold of Windows Vista Ultimate (or nay Vista flavoures that you like) and install that, you will find your problems solved.
    Just one more thing, when you Upgraded to Vista from XP, did you add on the SP1 service pack to Vista, it just could also cure your troubles.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

+
    0 Votes

Does your laptop have "Acer eNet Management" loaded?. If so then follow these instructions:

Acer eNet Management hooks up to location-based networks intelligently

Right click on the "Empowering Technology" toolbar, then select the Help or Tutorial function.

Empowering Technology password

Before using Acer eLock Management and Acer eRecovery Management, you must initialize the Empowering Technology password. Right-click on the "Empowering Technology" toolbar and select "Password Setup" to do so. If you do not initialize the Empowering Technology password, you will be prompted to do so when running Acer eLock Management or Acer eRecovery Management for the first time.
    If you lose your password, there is no method to reset it except by reformatting your notebook or taking your notebook to an Acer Customer Service Center. Be sure to remember or write down your password.

Acer eNet Management

Acer eNet Management helps you to quickly and easily connect to both wired and wireless networks in a variety of locations. To access this utility, either click on the "Acer eNet Management" icon on your notebook, or start the program from the Start menu. You also have the option to set Acer eNet Management to start automatically when you boot up your PC.
    Acer eNet Management automatically detects the best settings for a new location, while offering you the freedom to manually adjust the settings to match your needs.

Acer eNet Management can save network settings for a location to a profile,
    and automatically switch to the appropriate profile when you move from one location to another. Settings stored include network connection settings (IP and DNS settings, wireless AP details, etc.), as well as default printer settings.

Security and safety concerns mean that Acer eNet Management does not store
    username and password information.

Acer ePower Management
    Acer ePower Management features a straightforward user interface. To launch
    it, select Acer ePower Management from the Empowering Technology interface.
    AC mode (Adapter mode)The default setting is "Maximum Performance." You can adjust CPU speed, LCD brightness and other settings, or click on buttons to turn the following
    functions on/off: Wireless LAN, Bluetooth, CardBus, FireWire(1394), Wired LAN and Optical Device if supported.

So there you are, some info for you to read on.
    As you can see (read), you will need to activate your wireless function to access your router to access the internet etc, etc.

Hope this points you in the right direction. :)

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

As far as I know the laptop came with vista on it. It does have SP 1 on it. Think will see if I have a copy of XP Pro to put on it, at least I know where I stand with that. Thank for your help.

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

Thought I would give it one more go, done a little more research and found articles saying to update;

1. Flash Bios.
    2. Acer Connection Manager.
    3. Modem Software.

I had previously done this, but, this time it worked! So, now all I have to do is get the Blue Tooth working.... :)

Thanks to everyone for thier advice.

• +
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

If you want to ENABLE the wireless, you'll have to DISABLE the wired connection first, since you can't have both turned on at the same time.

Go to Control Panel and select Classic View. Click on the Network Communications icon and you'll (I think) find the wired and wireless sitting side by side - Disable the wired option then Enable the wireless.

Try connecting now in the way you've already tried. It should work.

:)

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

It does not make any difference wether or not the Ethernet Cable is connected/ disabled Thanks for your suggestion.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Jeez, y'know, sometimes I wonder why I bother answering some of you CLOWNS!!!

I wasn't talking about your ethernet cable!!!

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Next you'll be telling me you've got an ethernet cable plugged into your Control Panel will you?

READ SOMETHING - DON'T JUST ASSUME!!

Otherwise get down off your cross because someone else could do with the wood!

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

There is no need to be rude.

I meant wired not Ethernet, I made a typo.

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

As I have already said there is no need to be rude. I made a typo saying ethernet cable as I was explaining to someone what it was whilst I was typing.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

You have a wired form of communication (this is the Ethernet cable) which forms the Local Area Connection.

You also have a wireless form of communication, this is the Wireless Network Connection.

You should view these two forms of communication as a Y junction at the end of a single track road - which way to go is the question. You CANNOT go down both routes at the same time.

The Y junction for the laptop is LOCAL or WIRELESS - but not both. Therefore if the computer is currently set up for the wired option, you MUST DISABLE the wired option BEFORE selecting the wireless.

Otherwise it would be the computer equivalent of you trying to place one foot on each path, having your legs stretched further and further apart as the paths diverged.

Now PLEASE - read it again. :)

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

I have done all that you suggested, it does not work. I think that the hardware must be at fault. I have disabled the wired/ethernet cable then tried to connect using the wireless and it does not work. I have done this using the acer software and the device manager.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Have you witnessed whether Wireless Connection is ENABLED within Control Panel ?

I am typing this on an old ACER Aspire running XP and when I bought it back in 2005 (yes - a 4-year-old ACER !) the first thing I did was to ignore the in-built ACER software. When I came to reinstall at some later point due to a self-inflicted error, I deleted all the ACER software because although I'm perfectly happy with my little workhorse, I wouldn't use ACER software to wipe my ar$e - it's full of holes.

So, I'll ask again - have you checked inside Windows Vista Control Panel ??

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

Usaully I dont use the software that comes with the computer for the wireless etc I but as I had turned the wired off everywhere else including the control panel before enabling the wireless I thought I would give it a go.

+
    0 Votes
    lifeisfare

Hello Jay,
    From what you mentioned above, sounds like the antenna is off or not working.
    Did you check to make sure it is on?

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

It does appear to be on, there is no obvious reason for it not to work. I am begining to think the hardware may not be functioning.

Thank you for your help.

+
    0 Votes

You will have to do a search for your wireless router and then select the correct router to connect to. You will be asked for a Password to log in to do so. You might need to go into your routers web page and then select the wireless (wifi) section to make sure that it is Enabled.
    Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

Yes I have searched for the wireless router and it does not find anything. Other laptops connect to the router so I know the router is ok. Even tried making sure no else was connected to the internet, to rule out the router being too busy.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

in case this particular problem becomes filled with non-said things, and we all end up thinking differently.

It's the last point that puzzles me. Mind you, I'm not running Vista so that may be MY confusion as well as the OP. It's just that I've never witnessed a wireless system report as being 'Disconnected' mainly because that is an impossibility.

The wireless system, if ON, cannot report being disconnected - it can only ever report on the strength of received signals (ranging from Excellent down to Fair) together with 'Limited or No Connectivity'.

Maybe the 'Disconnected' report is a Vista thing, at which point I ought to exit stage left since I'm not qualified to comment.

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

Yes to;

It is baffling as I have not heard of this and thought it was impossible too. Which is why I asked for help. This is the first time a computer has ever got me stumped.

Going to see if I can find out some more history on the computer, I know there has been a lot of issues around xp when upgraded to vista etc, if it was upgraded this could have caused a problem somewhere or it could be the hardware is faulty. So will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help.

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

ipconfig.exe /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Laptop 4
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-7E-A2-90-2D

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D4-E4-79-91
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4563:49fb:e411:e279%8(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.9(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 03 May 2009 12:47:38
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 04 May 2009 12:47:38
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{0BCFE32B-D7D2-4113-B96B-ED87F422F9D8}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{65EF1A70-FDF1-40DE-AF22-876C0965B86A}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:d5c7:a2d6:40a:35e2:3f57:fff6(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::40a:35e2:3f57:fff6%9(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.home

Thought this might help.

+
    0 Votes

That is the cause right there, get hold of Windows Vista Ultimate (or nay Vista flavoures that you like) and install that, you will find your problems solved.
    Just one more thing, when you Upgraded to Vista from XP, did you add on the SP1 service pack to Vista, it just could also cure your troubles.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

+
    0 Votes

Does your laptop have "Acer eNet Management" loaded?. If so then follow these instructions:

Acer eNet Management hooks up to location-based networks intelligently

Right click on the "Empowering Technology" toolbar, then select the Help or Tutorial function.

Empowering Technology password

Before using Acer eLock Management and Acer eRecovery Management, you must initialize the Empowering Technology password. Right-click on the "Empowering Technology" toolbar and select "Password Setup" to do so. If you do not initialize the Empowering Technology password, you will be prompted to do so when running Acer eLock Management or Acer eRecovery Management for the first time.
    If you lose your password, there is no method to reset it except by reformatting your notebook or taking your notebook to an Acer Customer Service Center. Be sure to remember or write down your password.

Acer eNet Management

Acer eNet Management helps you to quickly and easily connect to both wired and wireless networks in a variety of locations. To access this utility, either click on the "Acer eNet Management" icon on your notebook, or start the program from the Start menu. You also have the option to set Acer eNet Management to start automatically when you boot up your PC.
    Acer eNet Management automatically detects the best settings for a new location, while offering you the freedom to manually adjust the settings to match your needs.

Acer eNet Management can save network settings for a location to a profile,
    and automatically switch to the appropriate profile when you move from one location to another. Settings stored include network connection settings (IP and DNS settings, wireless AP details, etc.), as well as default printer settings.

Security and safety concerns mean that Acer eNet Management does not store
    username and password information.

Acer ePower Management
    Acer ePower Management features a straightforward user interface. To launch
    it, select Acer ePower Management from the Empowering Technology interface.
    AC mode (Adapter mode)The default setting is "Maximum Performance." You can adjust CPU speed, LCD brightness and other settings, or click on buttons to turn the following
    functions on/off: Wireless LAN, Bluetooth, CardBus, FireWire(1394), Wired LAN and Optical Device if supported.

So there you are, some info for you to read on.
    As you can see (read), you will need to activate your wireless function to access your router to access the internet etc, etc.

Hope this points you in the right direction. :)

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

As far as I know the laptop came with vista on it. It does have SP 1 on it. Think will see if I have a copy of XP Pro to put on it, at least I know where I stand with that. Thank for your help.

+
    0 Votes
    jaybrook

Thought I would give it one more go, done a little more research and found articles saying to update;

1. Flash Bios.
    2. Acer Connection Manager.
    3. Modem Software.

I had previously done this, but, this time it worked! So, now all I have to do is get the Blue Tooth working.... :)

Thanks to everyone for thier advice.