Questions

Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked Keyboard/TouchPad

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked Keyboard/TouchPad

homertrix.ray
Hi, hope someone here can help me. I've got an Acer Aspire 5100 and 2 nights ago i was using it and all was well. Fell asleep while watching a movie on it and it blocked 2 hours after i fell asleep more or less. Thought nothing of it, turned it off and rebooted it. Got a CMOS error that I've had a few times before so unplugged it, took battery out and plugged it back in again. When it started up, both keyboard and touchpad are dead. When i get to the windows log-in screen, sometimes the FN + F6 combination works but that's all. I've took it to a friend who is a PC Repair guy and he says all cables are firmly connected, no problem there. Anyone have this problem ever? I don't know if I need a new keyboard or what to do. I rang Acer and they want the recipt but as it was a present from my exgirlfriend, i don't have it. My mate says maybe i leaned on the keyboard while sleeping and had some keys held down for a prolongued time and the CMOS or BIOS has locked the keyboard and touchpad and that maybe resetting the CMOS/BIOS by jumper or removing the battery will unlock them... Any suggestions anyone?? Really hope i can repair it cheaply as it is the only pc i have!!
  • +
    0 Votes
    phinfan

Try using Fn + F7. It turns the touchpad on and off.
    I was having the same issue. I took apart my 5100 and everything was fine. Once I found Fn + F7 my touchpad works fine.

Hope this helps.

+
    0 Votes
    my_jet

Fn + F7 make no difference for me either.
    See this thread-
    http://www.fixya.com/support/t252499-keyboard_mouse_dead
    Fn brightness up and down works,
    but no mouse or keyboard.
    Also can't hit F2 during boot or any
    keyboard input!!!!

This is driving me nuts...
    There must be a fix for this?!?!

Any way to clear bios or something
    to get keyboard back!?!?!

Removing battery does not help either...

+
    0 Votes
    tphamiltonz

What be the reason to disable the touchpad? I fixed this issue with no problem after reading this post but it does not make any sense to me. Thanks for your help! I was about to check the connection to the motherboard!

Tomas

+
    0 Votes
    jconant

Thank you! I fat finger broke my touch pad and couldn't for the life of me get it back to work...2 seconds after reading this, I had my touch pad back.

+
    0 Votes
    nextstop2003

Hi dude,
    I've the same laptop and yesterday I came thru the same problem you said...
    as I know, the last action I remember I did was to connect my ipod by the left sided usb input and everything was messed up in few secs.
    Nobody could solve my problem so far, nor F2 at prompt neither fn+F7 routine...
    did you fix it?
    thanks
    paolo

+
    0 Votes
    dunnjed85

I have the exact same problem. I was listening to some music using iTunes, I left my room for a while and when I came back there was a weird screen that came up with white, purple, and green vertical lines and it was frozen up. So I held down the power button to turn it off and restart it and when I did, the keyboard and mouse no longer function. I tried the fn+f7 and that doesn't work. I tried the brightness keys and they worked for a while after start up and then they stopped working. I read somewhere else that this might be a motherboard problem, but I have no idea. Anybody have any idea?

+
    0 Votes
    dchung

Two notebooks Aspire 5043 and Aspire 5102 have the same keyboard/touchpad lock. F2 or whatever key combination does not work. External keyboard and mouse does not work either. Both problems started 3 weeks ago in case someone thinks this is a software update or windows update issue. I have read many other threads with people and the aspire 5000 and 5100 series having the exact same problem. Class Action Suit anyone?

+
    0 Votes
    ejulaw

Since I bought the Aspire 5100 in Dec. 2006, it has crashed 4 times. When it crashes, a weird screen comes up, and everything is frozen, so you cannot do anything but power it down. When you try to power back up, most of the time it will not boot up. Rarely, it will boot up but the keyboard and mouse are locked, so again, you can't do anything. The first time it happened was March 2007, about 90 days after I bought it. I sent it in to Acer, and they replaced the motherboard. The same exact thing happened in June 2007 and in Oct 2007. They replaced the motherboard each time. With this trend, I knew that if it happened outside the 1-year warranty, Acer would tell me I'm on my own, so I called to complain that they never fixed the problem. They did confirm that outside the 1-year warranty, I would be on my own! (Sad way to stand behind your product and to take care of your customers!) Well, it just happened again mid-February, they told me to take a hike, and I got my attorney involved. In researching this problem, I spoke to a very experienced computer repair center who confirmed they have been getting in these models with the same exact problem. He confirmed that something is causing the connections for the keyboard, the mouse, and the USB ports to **** on the motherboard, which is why Acer kept replacing the motherboards on my unit until I was out of warranty. And to compound the problem, even if I wanted to have it repaired, it seems the motherboards can't be gotten. He also pointed me to posts from Italy, from Ontario Canada, and from several other states in the U.S. with users with this Acer model outlining the exact same scenario. So, I'm stuck with a computer that doesn't work and that cannot be fixed! What Acer should have done was a recall to fix their obvious design flaw OR to make it right with customers who paid good money for a reliable laptop and instead got in essence a defective product. But that would cost Acer too much money, so I guess they figure they'll field complaints until people get tired and give up. I'm working on a legal alternative. Contact me at ejulaw@hotmail.com if you'd like to explore options. My name is Ed, and the ejulaw stands for Equal Justice Under Law, which Acer counts on us not exercising.

+
    0 Votes
    coollg01

Hi,

I am having same problem. I have given it to local vendore here. He recovered my windows and told me that its a windows problem. my acer laptop worked for 3 days and again same thing happend.

I don't know what to do. I will try to re-install a simple windows XP with out any acer software with it.

I will do it on this weekend then put the result again....

But in last 3 weeks i am really fed up to see it starting but not responding

+
    0 Votes
    ejulaw

Just sharing my saga with Acer and the faulty Aspire 5100 (read original post from 2/23/08 for background) in an effort to help. Acer replaced my defective Aspire 5100 with a different model that lists for much more than I paid for the 5100. I'm using it right now. Won't go into detail in this post, but if you're stuck with a laptop that won't work and cannot be fixed like I was while Acer has your money but won't help you and you want to do something about it, email Ed at ejulaw@hotmail.com. You will need to reside in the U.S. or Canada to explore this option.

+
    0 Votes
    mharborne

I'm in GB. Just collected my 15 month old Aspire 5101 from Comp.repair shop (unrepaired) who told me that the had heard of a number of these with the same problem. ie: wont boot up into BIOS, stops at 'Start up normaly' + options .. but Keyboard/Touch pad is locked so can't move it to 'Safe Mode' starting. Back up discs wont work either. Its loaded with Vista HomePrem. Phoneing Acer UK on Monday

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

A supposed computer repair shop that doesn't have a usb external keyboard isn't much of a repair shop.

Probably just as well they didn't do anything to it.

If I remember rightly, Acer Support are just down the road from you in Plympton, Devon. Unfortunately, petrol prices being what they now are, the round trip of 182 miles x 2 means that the cost of a courier would likely be cheaper than personal delivery and collection. :)

You would be wise to inquire when you phone them, since the laptop is more than one year old (out of warranty) if THEY have any Acer-endorsed repair sites in your immediate geographical area.

Any time I've had telephone contact with Acer Support in Devon, they have been more than helpful.

<Typos>

+
    0 Votes
    mharborne

Hi .. Shop tried USB mouse & keyboad but USB sockets not working either. F7 (or any keyboard button not working. Backup disk goes to 'Language Selection' and will not go any further as 'Next' cant be highlighted. Can get it to boot up in Windows Vista but unable to select USER and continue. As you suggest I will contact Acer tomorrow to see if the have anyone nearer to me.
    As a Govenor of a local school and about to purchase 25 machines I'm a little worried as Acer were on our 'short list' on grounds of price. Im thinking that maybe HP or Dell would be a better bet!. MJH

ACER REPLY..
    Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

This would be classed as a chargeable repair, the process would be the following.

There will be a ?53.13 charge taken from you before your machine is brought in for repair. You will then be given courier details so that you may arrange collection of your machine for shipment to our repair centre. Once received in the repair centre it will undergo assessment by one of our technicians. They will draw up a written proposal for you containing full details pertaining to your repair. This will be sent to you by post giving you ten days to respond.

Once you have received the proposal you have the option to reject it, which means the ?53.13 will cover the engineer and couriers fees, and the machine will be returned to you un-repaired.

After ten days, if your proposal is not signed and returned to us by fax or post the repair is defaulted as rejected, your machine is not repaired, and shipped back to you.

We can not give estimates of repair costs, under any circumstances, without the machine being diagnosed by an Acer technician

If you would like to book your machine in for an assessment please let us know and we will make the necessary arrangements.

Regards
    Dane

Acer Technical Support Team

Opening Times
    Mon ? Fri
    09:00 to 17:30

Tel: 0870 853 1000
    Fax: 0870 853 1004
    Email: euro_mail@acer-euro.com

Please reply with full history when responding to this e-mail.

-----mharborne@hotmail.com wrote: -----

To: euro_mail@acer-euro.com
    Date: 01/09/2008 08:48AM
    Subject: Aspire Notebook Web-Support-Request # 245-074329

SERIALNUMBER: LXAX90X0177030EE1C1601
    PARTNUMBER: (given by customer) / LX.AX90X.017 (taken from SN)
    PN-DESCRIPTION:
    PRODUCT: 1-Notebook
    UKDEALER: Other
    DAY: 10
    MONTH: 05
    YEAR: 2007
    ADVANTAGE:
    OPERATINGSYSTEM: Windows Vista Home Premium
    SERVICEPACK:
    PROBLEM: Faulty Laptop has just been returned (unrepaird) from Comp.Repair Shop with a note to say that they, and other repair centers, have had a number of these with the same fault, and that it is a design fault and to contact you. Machine will not boot up and keyboard+touchpad locks at \'Start as normal\' screen. Cannot move to \'Safe Mode\'. Back up Vista disc will not load. Returned to you for repair last year (Sept Case No. STDREG 1303949). I am dreading that the same machine that I gave my wife for last Christmas develops the same fault. .. please positivly advise my course of action .. Thanks Martin Harborne INFO LINK WITH SIMILAR DETAILS GIVEN BY THE REPAIR SHOP. http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=243038&messageID=2435487
    TROUBLESHOOTING: INFO LINK http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=243038&messageID=2435487
    FIRSTNAME: Martin
    LASTNAME: Harborne
    COMPANY:
    CUSTOMER_ID:
    PHONE: 01643 705800
    ADDRESS: 52 The Avenue
    ZIPCODE: TA24 5BB
    CITY: MINEHEAD
    REGION: United Kingdom / Ireland

+
    0 Votes
    spiralnexus

http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1724
    the above link offers exchange for the 5100 motherboard.

+
    0 Votes
    davistje

I have the same issue with mine. The problem occured almost 2 months out of warranty. What really pisses me of is I bought mine near the end of October 2007 and researching the problem tells me they knew of the obvious defect as far back as 2004. I did further research and have come to the conclusion that the problem is the VIA power management chip over heats and fails. I'm sure everyone who used their touchpad also had the left button sink down? I will never purchase ACER CRAP AGAIN! eMachine=CRAP and since Acer makes eMachines one can conclude ACER MAKES CRAP PRODUCTS.

davistje@live.com

+
    0 Votes
    rbink

I was in the process of setting this up, taking care of all of the drivers that did not load, including the bios. I hadn't gotten all of the drivers fixe when Windows Update decided that I needed SP3. After that, I cannot use the keyboard or mouse and USB keyboards and mice do not work either. The only workaround that I have found is to us a PCMCIA to USB card for the keyboard and mouse. After a re-boot, I have to unplug and re-plug the keyboard to make it work. The mouse works without unplugging. I've tried re-flashing the BIOS, but get the same results. This is NOT an OS issue as I canot hit the F2 button to get into BIOS. ARGH!!!

+
    0 Votes
    juanmdoy

I tried almost everything, I thought it was the motherboard (keyboard/mouse controller). When the Acer screen appeared, I held down [FN] key while pressing the [F6] to a blank screen, I left it on a blank screen, and I let it boot up. The Windows screen appeared with mouse/keyboard/usb function.

Ps. If you can use the [FN] key with other keys, then it is not your keyboard/mouse controller ie. motherboard.

+
    0 Votes
    indiebear

Hi, I had the same problem with my Acer Aspire 5100. I've tried to read a lot around internet for a solution and finaly I think it's a problem with Acer mainboards. There are people with a similar problem but your can fix it removing the battery but unfortunately this is not our problem.

Solution :Today I bought a pcmcia/usb and usb mouse+keyboard pack and this is the way that now I'm writing to you. That's the only way to go into windows. The usb ports in the laptop don't work, you need to use a pcmcia. They give power because I can use usb speakers, but a mouse or an external usb hard disc don't work .

As far as the best solution would be to phone to Acer support service but I bought this laptop more than two years ago. I know that It's not my fault, It's a manufacture problem but... What can I do? I'll try to get in contact with Acer. I think I'm not the first one in this situation.

Extra info: I updated BIOS with two different versions today but It doesn't work.

If an expert knows something that I can do and I haven't done before please, post here. Thanks to all and sorry for my english, I'm from Spain.

+
    0 Votes
    gcreame

I had a similar problem with the Ace Aspire 5100. So, I got a P2A 1080 PPA 1080 4 Port USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card bought in JR and Windows Vista recognized it. So, I was able to connect my wireless mouse and keyboard using the usb.

Good luck.

+
    0 Votes
    josemq2000

Ok, this worked for me, I started to Flash Bios 3.13 on my Acer 5100 and noticed that when the flash process ended the keyboard started to respond, so I canceled the auto shut down counter, but when I restart the computer the keyboard locks again, so, I do the flashing every time windows starts to enable keyboard; give a try and let me know if you can permanently enable keyboard. PD: Touch Pad still don't work.

+
    0 Votes
    Beastcat

Ive recently been working on a Aspire 3500, often the keyboard and touchpad would lock up and not respond once in windows, I found that the 'deferred procedure calls' were very high with Process Explorer - and hunted round the net for info on that.

Sounds strange but it turns out it was a Battery Issue - I removed the Battery while plugged into AC and instantly got the keyboard and touchpad back.

+
    0 Votes
    icfish19

As a school district tech I've run across lots of problems with products made by them from monitors to notebooks. We have a laptop with the infamous keyboard/touchpad issue and of course its out of warranty and acer won't do anything about unless we are willing to plop down $450. I know when I talk to my vendors I always tell them "no acer".

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

I've got an Acer Aspire 1363 WLMi Notebook that is a month away from being 4 years old.

I bought it purposely because it had a dedicated graphics card and, apart from changing the hard drive myself (not an unreasonable failure for a heavily-used NB), I've had no bother from it at all.

You really shouldn't go around shouting your mouth off about an entire brand being bad, just because you've had an unfortunate history of user experience.

If it hadn't been for Acer's adoption of Turion CPUs as standard, I'd have probably bought another NB from them. As it is, I'm perfectly happy with my 4-year-old Aspire which just seems to keep on going. :)

+
    0 Votes

I tried most of the fixes on here but can only attain temporary keyboard funcionality.

One was acheived with battery power only, using the CTRL+ESC method where you hold the 2 buttons & power on the machine, then hard-power off. Restart, hit F2, and get in to the BIOS. This worked after 50 tries, but funcionality goes away once in Windows.

Another time I was able to get the Windows key to work IN Windows, but shortly after it froze.

I am able to bring the laptop out of stand-by mode by striking any key on the laptop's keyboard.

After doing the PCMCIA-USB fix (with external USB keyboard & mouse combination), I updated the system's BIOS in Windows & when it promted me the system would restart in 30 seconds, I hit the Windows key & to my amazement it worked. I thought this was a good fix, but after system restart, lost keyboard & mouse again.

The PCMCIA-USB workaround is the only practical fix for this model so far. My only question for people who have gotten this far is - how do I install Windows again if I am unable to access the BIOS to tell my machine to boot from CD?

+
    0 Votes
    tchago

"how do I install Windows again if I am unable to access the BIOS to tell my machine to boot from CD?"

Exactly.

I have Windows CD and Ubuntu LiveUSB. No good. Have you had any luck with this acer mess?

Best regards.

+
    0 Votes
    spiralnexus

I have seen this type of issue though it is usually video related. System decides to cut power or doesn't have enough amperage coming through the battery and adapter to run everthing. I found the issue to be very prevalent on UPS powered desktops. Though the same premise applies here. Since most machines power on and check and charge CPU then ram then video then proceed to power on other devices it is possible the is not enough current. I had my TP turned off but I could get it to power on for 4 seconds by disabling and re-enabling it inside windows. It drove me nuts for about 2 hours. But the power issue is definitely something to explore. Pull the battery then plug it in without it. My wife's Latitude can't have the battery in it due to its age if we put in the battery the system won't POST due to the voltage drain trying to get the battery to charge. Realistically if the battery is over 2 years old you need a new one if it is Li-Ion. I found a place called freshbattery.com that packs the battery when you order it. I have had no issues from any of their batteries yet the last one for this computer Acer 5100 is in it now and is still kicking after a year and a half I can still watch a full DVD before my power browns out. When I first got it it lasted 3 and a half hours.

+
    0 Votes
    stompter

This solution worked for me too. Remove the battery completely, it is a battery issue.

+
    0 Votes
    moonmonkey2009

Hi all,
    This keyboard/usb/touchpad problem hit me last week after nearly four years of owning an aspire 5103. At first a couple of hard shutdowns worked but then nothing!
    I had already decided on buying another laptop anyway so I'm not really that arsed about the problem. My choices were between another acer or a custom built sony vaio!!! The problem and what I've found out since has made my decision for me, perhaps sony have better customer support!
    Anyhoo, those living in the UK with this problem might be interested to know of their rights as consumers beyond the 1 year warranty. Take a look at the 'Sales of Goods' act... (http://www.which.co.uk/advice/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/index.jsp).
    The most important parts to digest are that after warranty your complaint should be dealt with by the company/shop that sold you the faulty goods, NOT the manufacturer! Also, you have six years cover under this act (five in Scotland.... sorry guys)!
    All you have to do is prove that in the eyes of the law there is reasonable grounds to expect that a laptop (or whatever) should last more than what it has before breaking down. The shop won't have a leg to stand on and will have to replace/repair for free unless they want trading standards on their arses and/or face possible legal action!!!
    Just like many of you, I'm well within my rights to contact laptopsdirect (an Acer owned company) and demand a replacement, but alas I'm the type of person that once a brand lets me down, they can eat sloppy dog poo! I'll never buy Acer again and will spread the warning whenever I get the chance!
    In short, after warranty, tackle the shop who sold said item to you, quote the sales of goods act, listen to the excuses and then watch them squirm as they realise that they have to pay up! Eventually wholesale orders for Acer will diminish and they might get their act together and stop using cheap mobos that break down when you ****!
    Right... I'm off to spend ?1100 on sony style!!
    Good luck y'all
    J

+
    0 Votes
    Just-Helpin

Faulty battery.
    Remove battery, everything works 100%
    Replace battery and KB / Touch pad stop but screen continues to update.
    Battery Charge circuite pulls power from South Bridge

+
    0 Votes
    spiralnexus

The expected life of any laptop is 2-3 years. I know in the US, if you ask any technician, they will tell you the life is about 2-3 years and that is it. For the average user 2 years would be the norm before a major catastrophe such as CPU overheating or videocard burnout. For a computer repair person, who follows a rigorous cleaning and maintenance schedule, 4 years to 5 years would be about the norm; although once you open the case the warranty is void, unless you are certified by Acer.
    I wish anyone luck in trying to get a replacement for a 3 year old laptop under this UK law. I would suggest having all of your repair shop receipts for proof of maintenance.

+
    0 Votes
    reknoZ

That's nonsense.

Barring physical defects, usually a dying/dead hard disk which can be easily replaced, there is no reason that a laptop can't last 4-6 years. Easily.

I've had hundreds of clients whose laptops I've worked on. When I get them they are already 2-3 years old. I do a system refresh (reinstall Windows, etc.), maybe upgrade the memory, maybe the disk, and voil?! Their system runs as good as the day they bought it and no reason to believe it won't last another 2-3 years.

No, it's not the belle of the ball. It's not the fastest on the block. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But, it's a great workhorse for surfing the 'net, checking email, Skype, listening to iTunes, writing a term paper, etc.

Telling people a laptop has a life expectancy of 2-3 years is just wrong and forcing people to upgrade when it's not necessary.

+
    0 Votes
    pat_skerrett

The Fn+F7 toggles the touchpad on and off. The button to the left of the ON button above the keyboard does the same thing. The light next to it should be off for the touchpad to work.

+
    0 Votes
    elikovich

Same problem with my 4810T. I found it was related to uninstalling the Acer "Launch Manager" utility. Once I reinstalled it, it works fine.

+
    0 Votes
    spiralnexus

Here is one way to see if it a simple issue such as just a overload shut off. Take off the hinge cover, unscrew the 2 screws for the keyboard. Pull the keboard up gently towards the screen and then rotate it towards you exposing the MB and connectors set it down keyside to palmrest on the laptop. remove the connectors for both the keyboard and the touchpad. Now plug it up and power on. If it starts go ahead and power off again before windows load screen comes up. Plug in a USB keyboard after powering off. Then power on again.if it boots up and you can use the keyboard you are in business. Shut it down and reconnect the cords for palmrest and keyboard. power on and see if it works.
    I have had my 5100 since 2005 and have never really had an issue other than my keyboard dying after a few drops of pepsi went under the 0 key it took 2 weeks beforeit killed 0 then 2 days later 9 and - went out then 2,5, and 1. the next day t-Pgup went on the next row and thats when I pulled the keyboard and started using USB for a month until I ordered a new keyboard and a protective cover. That is the only issue I have ever had with mine other than windows bloat. Still running all original equipment except the keyboard. Oh but my battery needs to be replaced as I have had it so long. Do you guys ever clean the heatpipe? I have to clean mine once a month or te system starts to hang and foul up.

+
    0 Votes
    Disgrountled

Hello

I have the same issue.
    Acer Aspire 5100
    Freezed keyboard+mouse+usb ports
    Reseted bios (from J2 jumper and/or removing battery) no change in bios version or commands from usb/mouse/usb ports
    Booted from HDD (with windows XP installed) no change
    Can`t install windows vista/7 on that HDD ( no compatible slot for HDD *PATA* on another computer )
    Booted from CD (linux) by removing HDD
    Linux does not recognize keyboard or mouse or usb (key/mouse)
    Question is :

Should I get a PCMCIA card with USB?Would the computer automaticaly recognize the PCMCIA card so I can attach a keyboard/mouse too it?Will the latest bios update fix my problem if the above will work?

Please reply ASAP.Thanks alot
    Best Regards

+
    0 Votes
    NexS

Start your own question.
    You will be tended to.

+
    0 Votes
    reknoZ

Why not bump an existing thread?

If a new thread is started for the *same* problem, then when someone searches for the problem, they'll be led multiple pages. Which is good for the whole advertising thing and sponsored links, but not good for the person trying to solve the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    Dowayne

I have had my laptop for about 5-6 years and I know that I will have it for a lot longer. I have had an issue with my touchpad for about 3 years because the left side button broke and they was going to take about two months to fix it. I could not go that long without my laptop at the time. Then when I checked it was too much to pay to get a new one. Now, I am trying to find one that I can buy to replace it. Anyone have any ideas on where or how much I can get one for? As far as how long a laptop should work for.... There is no reason that you can't get at least 10 years out of any pc whether it is a desktop or laptop. You just need to do proper maintenance and take care of the computer. Just like anything that you own. Just wanted to add my two cents. Good luck on getting your pcs fixed.

+
    0 Votes
    catalyst9

Thanks to all who answered/clarified this MANUFACTURER issue because this will NEVER get resolved until Acer addresses the obvious design flaw in their computers. My Acer hasn't worked for a month and they want me to ship it to Texas for repairs....unfortunately, I will have no money until May for UPS/Fedex and have to go to the local library to submit my school finals....GRRrrr!!
    I WILL email ejulaw@hotmail.com to hopefully get this issue resolved because I can't afford to GIVE a business $400 AND their product doesn't work for SHOOT!!!

• +
    0 Votes
    phinfan

Try using Fn + F7. It turns the touchpad on and off.
    I was having the same issue. I took apart my 5100 and everything was fine. Once I found Fn + F7 my touchpad works fine.

Hope this helps.

+
    0 Votes
    my_jet

Fn + F7 make no difference for me either.
    See this thread-
    http://www.fixya.com/support/t252499-keyboard_mouse_dead
    Fn brightness up and down works,
    but no mouse or keyboard.
    Also can't hit F2 during boot or any
    keyboard input!!!!

This is driving me nuts...
    There must be a fix for this?!?!

Any way to clear bios or something
    to get keyboard back!?!?!

Removing battery does not help either...

+
    0 Votes
    tphamiltonz

What be the reason to disable the touchpad? I fixed this issue with no problem after reading this post but it does not make any sense to me. Thanks for your help! I was about to check the connection to the motherboard!

Tomas

+
    0 Votes
    jconant

Thank you! I fat finger broke my touch pad and couldn't for the life of me get it back to work...2 seconds after reading this, I had my touch pad back.

+
    0 Votes
    nextstop2003

Hi dude,
    I've the same laptop and yesterday I came thru the same problem you said...
    as I know, the last action I remember I did was to connect my ipod by the left sided usb input and everything was messed up in few secs.
    Nobody could solve my problem so far, nor F2 at prompt neither fn+F7 routine...
    did you fix it?
    thanks
    paolo

+
    0 Votes
    dunnjed85

I have the exact same problem. I was listening to some music using iTunes, I left my room for a while and when I came back there was a weird screen that came up with white, purple, and green vertical lines and it was frozen up. So I held down the power button to turn it off and restart it and when I did, the keyboard and mouse no longer function. I tried the fn+f7 and that doesn't work. I tried the brightness keys and they worked for a while after start up and then they stopped working. I read somewhere else that this might be a motherboard problem, but I have no idea. Anybody have any idea?

+
    0 Votes
    dchung

Two notebooks Aspire 5043 and Aspire 5102 have the same keyboard/touchpad lock. F2 or whatever key combination does not work. External keyboard and mouse does not work either. Both problems started 3 weeks ago in case someone thinks this is a software update or windows update issue. I have read many other threads with people and the aspire 5000 and 5100 series having the exact same problem. Class Action Suit anyone?

+
    0 Votes
    ejulaw

Since I bought the Aspire 5100 in Dec. 2006, it has crashed 4 times. When it crashes, a weird screen comes up, and everything is frozen, so you cannot do anything but power it down. When you try to power back up, most of the time it will not boot up. Rarely, it will boot up but the keyboard and mouse are locked, so again, you can't do anything. The first time it happened was March 2007, about 90 days after I bought it. I sent it in to Acer, and they replaced the motherboard. The same exact thing happened in June 2007 and in Oct 2007. They replaced the motherboard each time. With this trend, I knew that if it happened outside the 1-year warranty, Acer would tell me I'm on my own, so I called to complain that they never fixed the problem. They did confirm that outside the 1-year warranty, I would be on my own! (Sad way to stand behind your product and to take care of your customers!) Well, it just happened again mid-February, they told me to take a hike, and I got my attorney involved. In researching this problem, I spoke to a very experienced computer repair center who confirmed they have been getting in these models with the same exact problem. He confirmed that something is causing the connections for the keyboard, the mouse, and the USB ports to **** on the motherboard, which is why Acer kept replacing the motherboards on my unit until I was out of warranty. And to compound the problem, even if I wanted to have it repaired, it seems the motherboards can't be gotten. He also pointed me to posts from Italy, from Ontario Canada, and from several other states in the U.S. with users with this Acer model outlining the exact same scenario. So, I'm stuck with a computer that doesn't work and that cannot be fixed! What Acer should have done was a recall to fix their obvious design flaw OR to make it right with customers who paid good money for a reliable laptop and instead got in essence a defective product. But that would cost Acer too much money, so I guess they figure they'll field complaints until people get tired and give up. I'm working on a legal alternative. Contact me at ejulaw@hotmail.com if you'd like to explore options. My name is Ed, and the ejulaw stands for Equal Justice Under Law, which Acer counts on us not exercising.

+
    0 Votes
    coollg01

Hi,

I am having same problem. I have given it to local vendore here. He recovered my windows and told me that its a windows problem. my acer laptop worked for 3 days and again same thing happend.

I don't know what to do. I will try to re-install a simple windows XP with out any acer software with it.

I will do it on this weekend then put the result again....

But in last 3 weeks i am really fed up to see it starting but not responding

+
    0 Votes
    ejulaw

Just sharing my saga with Acer and the faulty Aspire 5100 (read original post from 2/23/08 for background) in an effort to help. Acer replaced my defective Aspire 5100 with a different model that lists for much more than I paid for the 5100. I'm using it right now. Won't go into detail in this post, but if you're stuck with a laptop that won't work and cannot be fixed like I was while Acer has your money but won't help you and you want to do something about it, email Ed at ejulaw@hotmail.com. You will need to reside in the U.S. or Canada to explore this option.

+
    0 Votes
    mharborne

I'm in GB. Just collected my 15 month old Aspire 5101 from Comp.repair shop (unrepaired) who told me that the had heard of a number of these with the same problem. ie: wont boot up into BIOS, stops at 'Start up normaly' + options .. but Keyboard/Touch pad is locked so can't move it to 'Safe Mode' starting. Back up discs wont work either. Its loaded with Vista HomePrem. Phoneing Acer UK on Monday

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

A supposed computer repair shop that doesn't have a usb external keyboard isn't much of a repair shop.

Probably just as well they didn't do anything to it.

If I remember rightly, Acer Support are just down the road from you in Plympton, Devon. Unfortunately, petrol prices being what they now are, the round trip of 182 miles x 2 means that the cost of a courier would likely be cheaper than personal delivery and collection. :)

You would be wise to inquire when you phone them, since the laptop is more than one year old (out of warranty) if THEY have any Acer-endorsed repair sites in your immediate geographical area.

Any time I've had telephone contact with Acer Support in Devon, they have been more than helpful.

<Typos>

+
    0 Votes
    mharborne

Hi .. Shop tried USB mouse & keyboad but USB sockets not working either. F7 (or any keyboard button not working. Backup disk goes to 'Language Selection' and will not go any further as 'Next' cant be highlighted. Can get it to boot up in Windows Vista but unable to select USER and continue. As you suggest I will contact Acer tomorrow to see if the have anyone nearer to me.
    As a Govenor of a local school and about to purchase 25 machines I'm a little worried as Acer were on our 'short list' on grounds of price. Im thinking that maybe HP or Dell would be a better bet!. MJH

ACER REPLY..
    Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

This would be classed as a chargeable repair, the process would be the following.

There will be a ?53.13 charge taken from you before your machine is brought in for repair. You will then be given courier details so that you may arrange collection of your machine for shipment to our repair centre. Once received in the repair centre it will undergo assessment by one of our technicians. They will draw up a written proposal for you containing full details pertaining to your repair. This will be sent to you by post giving you ten days to respond.

Once you have received the proposal you have the option to reject it, which means the ?53.13 will cover the engineer and couriers fees, and the machine will be returned to you un-repaired.

After ten days, if your proposal is not signed and returned to us by fax or post the repair is defaulted as rejected, your machine is not repaired, and shipped back to you.

We can not give estimates of repair costs, under any circumstances, without the machine being diagnosed by an Acer technician

If you would like to book your machine in for an assessment please let us know and we will make the necessary arrangements.

Regards
    Dane

Acer Technical Support Team

Opening Times
    Mon ? Fri
    09:00 to 17:30

Tel: 0870 853 1000
    Fax: 0870 853 1004
    Email: euro_mail@acer-euro.com

Please reply with full history when responding to this e-mail.

-----mharborne@hotmail.com wrote: -----

To: euro_mail@acer-euro.com
    Date: 01/09/2008 08:48AM
    Subject: Aspire Notebook Web-Support-Request # 245-074329

SERIALNUMBER: LXAX90X0177030EE1C1601
    PARTNUMBER: (given by customer) / LX.AX90X.017 (taken from SN)
    PN-DESCRIPTION:
    PRODUCT: 1-Notebook
    UKDEALER: Other
    DAY: 10
    MONTH: 05
    YEAR: 2007
    ADVANTAGE:
    OPERATINGSYSTEM: Windows Vista Home Premium
    SERVICEPACK:
    PROBLEM: Faulty Laptop has just been returned (unrepaird) from Comp.Repair Shop with a note to say that they, and other repair centers, have had a number of these with the same fault, and that it is a design fault and to contact you. Machine will not boot up and keyboard+touchpad locks at \'Start as normal\' screen. Cannot move to \'Safe Mode\'. Back up Vista disc will not load. Returned to you for repair last year (Sept Case No. STDREG 1303949). I am dreading that the same machine that I gave my wife for last Christmas develops the same fault. .. please positivly advise my course of action .. Thanks Martin Harborne INFO LINK WITH SIMILAR DETAILS GIVEN BY THE REPAIR SHOP. http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=243038&messageID=2435487
    TROUBLESHOOTING: INFO LINK http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=243038&messageID=2435487
    FIRSTNAME: Martin
    LASTNAME: Harborne
    COMPANY:
    CUSTOMER_ID:
    PHONE: 01643 705800
    ADDRESS: 52 The Avenue
    ZIPCODE: TA24 5BB
    CITY: MINEHEAD
    REGION: United Kingdom / Ireland

+
    0 Votes
    spiralnexus

http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1724
    the above link offers exchange for the 5100 motherboard.

+
    0 Votes
    davistje

I have the same issue with mine. The problem occured almost 2 months out of warranty. What really pisses me of is I bought mine near the end of October 2007 and researching the problem tells me they knew of the obvious defect as far back as 2004. I did further research and have come to the conclusion that the problem is the VIA power management chip over heats and fails. I'm sure everyone who used their touchpad also had the left button sink down? I will never purchase ACER CRAP AGAIN! eMachine=CRAP and since Acer makes eMachines one can conclude ACER MAKES CRAP PRODUCTS.

davistje@live.com

+
    0 Votes
    rbink

I was in the process of setting this up, taking care of all of the drivers that did not load, including the bios. I hadn't gotten all of the drivers fixe when Windows Update decided that I needed SP3. After that, I cannot use the keyboard or mouse and USB keyboards and mice do not work either. The only workaround that I have found is to us a PCMCIA to USB card for the keyboard and mouse. After a re-boot, I have to unplug and re-plug the keyboard to make it work. The mouse works without unplugging. I've tried re-flashing the BIOS, but get the same results. This is NOT an OS issue as I canot hit the F2 button to get into BIOS. ARGH!!!

+
    0 Votes
    juanmdoy

I tried almost everything, I thought it was the motherboard (keyboard/mouse controller). When the Acer screen appeared, I held down [FN] key while pressing the [F6] to a blank screen, I left it on a blank screen, and I let it boot up. The Windows screen appeared with mouse/keyboard/usb function.

Ps. If you can use the [FN] key with other keys, then it is not your keyboard/mouse controller ie. motherboard.

+
    0 Votes
    indiebear

Hi, I had the same problem with my Acer Aspire 5100. I've tried to read a lot around internet for a solution and finaly I think it's a problem with Acer mainboards. There are people with a similar problem but your can fix it removing the battery but unfortunately this is not our problem.

Solution :Today I bought a pcmcia/usb and usb mouse+keyboard pack and this is the way that now I'm writing to you. That's the only way to go into windows. The usb ports in the laptop don't work, you need to use a pcmcia. They give power because I can use usb speakers, but a mouse or an external usb hard disc don't work .

As far as the best solution would be to phone to Acer support service but I bought this laptop more than two years ago. I know that It's not my fault, It's a manufacture problem but... What can I do? I'll try to get in contact with Acer. I think I'm not the first one in this situation.

Extra info: I updated BIOS with two different versions today but It doesn't work.

If an expert knows something that I can do and I haven't done before please, post here. Thanks to all and sorry for my english, I'm from Spain.

+
    0 Votes
    gcreame

I had a similar problem with the Ace Aspire 5100. So, I got a P2A 1080 PPA 1080 4 Port USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card bought in JR and Windows Vista recognized it. So, I was able to connect my wireless mouse and keyboard using the usb.

Good luck.

+
    0 Votes
    josemq2000

Ok, this worked for me, I started to Flash Bios 3.13 on my Acer 5100 and noticed that when the flash process ended the keyboard started to respond, so I canceled the auto shut down counter, but when I restart the computer the keyboard locks again, so, I do the flashing every time windows starts to enable keyboard; give a try and let me know if you can permanently enable keyboard. PD: Touch Pad still don't work.

+
    0 Votes
    Beastcat

Ive recently been working on a Aspire 3500, often the keyboard and touchpad would lock up and not respond once in windows, I found that the 'deferred procedure calls' were very high with Process Explorer - and hunted round the net for info on that.

Sounds strange but it turns out it was a Battery Issue - I removed the Battery while plugged into AC and instantly got the keyboard and touchpad back.

+
    0 Votes
    icfish19

As a school district tech I've run across lots of problems with products made by them from monitors to notebooks. We have a laptop with the infamous keyboard/touchpad issue and of course its out of warranty and acer won't do anything about unless we are willing to plop down $450. I know when I talk to my vendors I always tell them "no acer".

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

I've got an Acer Aspire 1363 WLMi Notebook that is a month away from being 4 years old.

I bought it purposely because it had a dedicated graphics card and, apart from changing the hard drive myself (not an unreasonable failure for a heavily-used NB), I've had no bother from it at all.

You really shouldn't go around shouting your mouth off about an entire brand being bad, just because you've had an unfortunate history of user experience.

If it hadn't been for Acer's adoption of Turion CPUs as standard, I'd have probably bought another NB from them. As it is, I'm perfectly happy with my 4-year-old Aspire which just seems to keep on going. :)

+
    0 Votes

I tried most of the fixes on here but can only attain temporary keyboard funcionality.

One was acheived with battery power only, using the CTRL+ESC method where you hold the 2 buttons & power on the machine, then hard-power off. Restart, hit F2, and get in to the BIOS. This worked after 50 tries, but funcionality goes away once in Windows.

Another time I was able to get the Windows key to work IN Windows, but shortly after it froze.

I am able to bring the laptop out of stand-by mode by striking any key on the laptop's keyboard.

After doing the PCMCIA-USB fix (with external USB keyboard & mouse combination), I updated the system's BIOS in Windows & when it promted me the system would restart in 30 seconds, I hit the Windows key & to my amazement it worked. I thought this was a good fix, but after system restart, lost keyboard & mouse again.

The PCMCIA-USB workaround is the only practical fix for this model so far. My only question for people who have gotten this far is - how do I install Windows again if I am unable to access the BIOS to tell my machine to boot from CD?

+
    0 Votes
    tchago

"how do I install Windows again if I am unable to access the BIOS to tell my machine to boot from CD?"

Exactly.

I have Windows CD and Ubuntu LiveUSB. No good. Have you had any luck with this acer mess?

Best regards.

+
    0 Votes
    spiralnexus

I have seen this type of issue though it is usually video related. System decides to cut power or doesn't have enough amperage coming through the battery and adapter to run everthing. I found the issue to be very prevalent on UPS powered desktops. Though the same premise applies here. Since most machines power on and check and charge CPU then ram then video then proceed to power on other devices it is possible the is not enough current. I had my TP turned off but I could get it to power on for 4 seconds by disabling and re-enabling it inside windows. It drove me nuts for about 2 hours. But the power issue is definitely something to explore. Pull the battery then plug it in without it. My wife's Latitude can't have the battery in it due to its age if we put in the battery the system won't POST due to the voltage drain trying to get the battery to charge. Realistically if the battery is over 2 years old you need a new one if it is Li-Ion. I found a place called freshbattery.com that packs the battery when you order it. I have had no issues from any of their batteries yet the last one for this computer Acer 5100 is in it now and is still kicking after a year and a half I can still watch a full DVD before my power browns out. When I first got it it lasted 3 and a half hours.

+
    0 Votes
    stompter

This solution worked for me too. Remove the battery completely, it is a battery issue.

+
    0 Votes
    moonmonkey2009

Hi all,
    This keyboard/usb/touchpad problem hit me last week after nearly four years of owning an aspire 5103. At first a couple of hard shutdowns worked but then nothing!
    I had already decided on buying another laptop anyway so I'm not really that arsed about the problem. My choices were between another acer or a custom built sony vaio!!! The problem and what I've found out since has made my decision for me, perhaps sony have better customer support!
    Anyhoo, those living in the UK with this problem might be interested to know of their rights as consumers beyond the 1 year warranty. Take a look at the 'Sales of Goods' act... (http://www.which.co.uk/advice/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/index.jsp).
    The most important parts to digest are that after warranty your complaint should be dealt with by the company/shop that sold you the faulty goods, NOT the manufacturer! Also, you have six years cover under this act (five in Scotland.... sorry guys)!
    All you have to do is prove that in the eyes of the law there is reasonable grounds to expect that a laptop (or whatever) should last more than what it has before breaking down. The shop won't have a leg to stand on and will have to replace/repair for free unless they want trading standards on their arses and/or face possible legal action!!!
    Just like many of you, I'm well within my rights to contact laptopsdirect (an Acer owned company) and demand a replacement, but alas I'm the type of person that once a brand lets me down, they can eat sloppy dog poo! I'll never buy Acer again and will spread the warning whenever I get the chance!
    In short, after warranty, tackle the shop who sold said item to you, quote the sales of goods act, listen to the excuses and then watch them squirm as they realise that they have to pay up! Eventually wholesale orders for Acer will diminish and they might get their act together and stop using cheap mobos that break down when you ****!
    Right... I'm off to spend ?1100 on sony style!!
    Good luck y'all
    J

+
    0 Votes
    Just-Helpin

Faulty battery.
    Remove battery, everything works 100%
    Replace battery and KB / Touch pad stop but screen continues to update.
    Battery Charge circuite pulls power from South Bridge

+
    0 Votes
    spiralnexus

The expected life of any laptop is 2-3 years. I know in the US, if you ask any technician, they will tell you the life is about 2-3 years and that is it. For the average user 2 years would be the norm before a major catastrophe such as CPU overheating or videocard burnout. For a computer repair person, who follows a rigorous cleaning and maintenance schedule, 4 years to 5 years would be about the norm; although once you open the case the warranty is void, unless you are certified by Acer.
    I wish anyone luck in trying to get a replacement for a 3 year old laptop under this UK law. I would suggest having all of your repair shop receipts for proof of maintenance.

+
    0 Votes
    reknoZ

That's nonsense.

Barring physical defects, usually a dying/dead hard disk which can be easily replaced, there is no reason that a laptop can't last 4-6 years. Easily.

I've had hundreds of clients whose laptops I've worked on. When I get them they are already 2-3 years old. I do a system refresh (reinstall Windows, etc.), maybe upgrade the memory, maybe the disk, and voil?! Their system runs as good as the day they bought it and no reason to believe it won't last another 2-3 years.

No, it's not the belle of the ball. It's not the fastest on the block. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But, it's a great workhorse for surfing the 'net, checking email, Skype, listening to iTunes, writing a term paper, etc.

Telling people a laptop has a life expectancy of 2-3 years is just wrong and forcing people to upgrade when it's not necessary.

+
    0 Votes
    pat_skerrett

The Fn+F7 toggles the touchpad on and off. The button to the left of the ON button above the keyboard does the same thing. The light next to it should be off for the touchpad to work.

+
    0 Votes
    elikovich

Same problem with my 4810T. I found it was related to uninstalling the Acer "Launch Manager" utility. Once I reinstalled it, it works fine.

+
    0 Votes
    spiralnexus

Here is one way to see if it a simple issue such as just a overload shut off. Take off the hinge cover, unscrew the 2 screws for the keyboard. Pull the keboard up gently towards the screen and then rotate it towards you exposing the MB and connectors set it down keyside to palmrest on the laptop. remove the connectors for both the keyboard and the touchpad. Now plug it up and power on. If it starts go ahead and power off again before windows load screen comes up. Plug in a USB keyboard after powering off. Then power on again.if it boots up and you can use the keyboard you are in business. Shut it down and reconnect the cords for palmrest and keyboard. power on and see if it works.
    I have had my 5100 since 2005 and have never really had an issue other than my keyboard dying after a few drops of pepsi went under the 0 key it took 2 weeks beforeit killed 0 then 2 days later 9 and - went out then 2,5, and 1. the next day t-Pgup went on the next row and thats when I pulled the keyboard and started using USB for a month until I ordered a new keyboard and a protective cover. That is the only issue I have ever had with mine other than windows bloat. Still running all original equipment except the keyboard. Oh but my battery needs to be replaced as I have had it so long. Do you guys ever clean the heatpipe? I have to clean mine once a month or te system starts to hang and foul up.

+
    0 Votes
    Disgrountled

Hello

I have the same issue.
    Acer Aspire 5100
    Freezed keyboard+mouse+usb ports
    Reseted bios (from J2 jumper and/or removing battery) no change in bios version or commands from usb/mouse/usb ports
    Booted from HDD (with windows XP installed) no change
    Can`t install windows vista/7 on that HDD ( no compatible slot for HDD *PATA* on another computer )
    Booted from CD (linux) by removing HDD
    Linux does not recognize keyboard or mouse or usb (key/mouse)
    Question is :

Should I get a PCMCIA card with USB?Would the computer automaticaly recognize the PCMCIA card so I can attach a keyboard/mouse too it?Will the latest bios update fix my problem if the above will work?

Please reply ASAP.Thanks alot
    Best Regards

+
    0 Votes
    NexS

Start your own question.
    You will be tended to.

+
    0 Votes
    reknoZ

Why not bump an existing thread?

If a new thread is started for the *same* problem, then when someone searches for the problem, they'll be led multiple pages. Which is good for the whole advertising thing and sponsored links, but not good for the person trying to solve the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    Dowayne

I have had my laptop for about 5-6 years and I know that I will have it for a lot longer. I have had an issue with my touchpad for about 3 years because the left side button broke and they was going to take about two months to fix it. I could not go that long without my laptop at the time. Then when I checked it was too much to pay to get a new one. Now, I am trying to find one that I can buy to replace it. Anyone have any ideas on where or how much I can get one for? As far as how long a laptop should work for.... There is no reason that you can't get at least 10 years out of any pc whether it is a desktop or laptop. You just need to do proper maintenance and take care of the computer. Just like anything that you own. Just wanted to add my two cents. Good luck on getting your pcs fixed.

+
    0 Votes
    catalyst9

Thanks to all who answered/clarified this MANUFACTURER issue because this will NEVER get resolved until Acer addresses the obvious design flaw in their computers. My Acer hasn't worked for a month and they want me to ship it to Texas for repairs....unfortunately, I will have no money until May for UPS/Fedex and have to go to the local library to submit my school finals....GRRrrr!!
    I WILL email ejulaw@hotmail.com to hopefully get this issue resolved because I can't afford to GIVE a business $400 AND their product doesn't work for SHOOT!!!