Questions

Acer Travelmate 4060 New Hard Drvie

+
0 Votes

Acer Travelmate 4060 New Hard Drvie

chris.lambert
Hi All,

Here's an odd one for you.

I'm installing a new Hard Drive into a Acer TravelMate 4060.

I have it set to boot from the CD, but when the Laptop is turned on it just reports that there is no Operating System. If I put the old HDD in then it see's the OS and then will happly boot from the CD.

Had anyone come across this problem before and what was the fix for it. I don't want to have to keep going back to the old HDD as it in on it's last legs and I need to be able to pull data back from it later.

I've spoken to Acer, but as it is not them doing the work and I have replaced the HDD they are not interested in helping.

Cheers

Chris
  • +
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

You say it sees the os then boots from the CD.

Have you changed the bios settings to boot from the CD first?

+
    0 Votes
    chris.lambert

The current Boot sequence is

CD
    Floppy
    HDD

But for some reason it looks like it checks the HDD first no matter what the order is.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

I've dealt with them in the past, mind you that was under warranty.

Maybe it's because they're stuck in a time-warp way down there at the bottom end of the UK!

Thing is, they told me I could remove my HDD before returning my Acer for repair under warranty, because they consider all Acer NBs as business machines and HD removal doesn't invalidate the warranty.

So, warranty or not, changing your HDD they should still be on talking terms from a support point of view.

Are you sure the BIOS is accepting your changes. ie Checking it again after power-down / power-up.

+
    0 Votes
    chris.lambert

Yep, double checked the bios settings.

However i have noticed something in the last 30 mins.

It looks to be an issue with the HDD and the laptop. I can put the HDD into another laptop and it will run fine. However when I put it into the Acer it won't see the HDD, but if I try a different HDD then it will see it.

The new HDD is a Samsung HM060HC if that helps any.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

But if the other laptop can recognise it, have you tried to format it on the other laptop and then returned it to the Acer?

Would that help the Acer "see" it?

What about the pinouts on the back?
    How are they set at present?

+
    0 Votes
    chris.lambert

I've installed Win XP Home & Pro onto the drive via another laptop but still the Acer won't see the drive. I have tryed the Pins as both Master and Cable select.

Both have the same out come.

I'm wondering if it's a BIOS issue. But even this seems a little unlikely as it see's other HDD's ok.

It's just seems to be the Acer and Samsung combination that won't work.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

How about the difficulties I've had for the last two years regarding my Acer and its TSST DVD-RW. It stopped recognising any media (blank that is) and only reads Magazine cover discs which have obviously been PRESSED rather than burned.

TSST = Toshiba Samsung Storage Technologies.

It's not just the HDDs that cause Acer problems.

+
    0 Votes
    kawash

Acer america are idiots. that is why you are having
    problems. The newer bios which they make impossible to
    update will recognize your samsung drive. Trust me I had
    the same exact problem. The acer Euro support site gives
    you the dos flash utility and readme files as well.

Here is the solution my friend.
    1. download Driver Free Disk For BIOS Flashing from
    bootdisk.com
    2. download the new bios from
    ftp://ftp.support.acer-
    euro.com/notebook/travelmate_4060/bios/3a06.zip
    3. create the bootdisk by running the executable from
    bootdisk.com then copy phlash16.exe as well as the wph
    bios file to the boot disk.
    I am assuming you can get your hand on an external usb
    floppy drive. boot from floppy and flash your bios. and
    your laptop will recognize the drive.

+
    0 Votes
    tipam

I flashed the BIOS using WinPhlash in XP under the old HDD. When the BIOS updated it saw the new Samsung Hard-drive! I then installed the setup files for a WinXP installation, but when it rebooted, the drive would not boot as if the BIOS can't detect the boot sector. Unfortunately, I can't find another BIOS update to fix this BIOS update!

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Were you aware that there is a thing called "Acer Guaranteed Compatible HDDs" - I wasn't.

http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/Database_files/Acer_Laptop_Replacement_hard_drive.htm

It rather suggests that some HDDs may be more (or less!) compatible than others.

(Edited for benefit of last line.)

+
    0 Votes
    chris.lambert

Thanks.

Thats a new one for me to. I'll look into this a little more.

Looking at some of the prices on that website, it's almost cheaper to get a new laptop.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

You reckoned that a swap-over did the trick. Your "bad" drive worked in another laptop and its HD worked in the Acer.

Seems to me you've already got a suitable stand-off that would accomplish your goal.

By the way, how's your optical drive holding up? Showing any signs of TSST-itis yet? My cure was a crossover cable: I just use the drives on my tower!

+
    0 Votes
    chris.lambert

The bad drive is still on it's last legs even when I swap it over to the other laptop.

The best solution is a new drive for the Acer. I'm going ot hunt around for better prices on the models from the web site you gave me.

Cheers

+
    0 Votes
    tipam

I get the same problem having updated to the latest BIOS (3A05). Strange thing is the HDD id shows up under passwords of the BIOS but the hard-drive isn't detected in the summary and isn't detected when booting up. I put the original HDD back in and it works? This must be a BIOS problem surely?

+
    0 Votes
    netptl39

Exactly the same symptoms:
    HDD is nearly dead, the CD/DVD drive is able to read only some dvds but no CD. I have an Original Microsoft Windows CD Bought with the tower and it is not recognized.
    Changed a few times the BIOS (under windows) between 3A05 and 3A06. but nothing really happened.
    The price onlaptopbits.co.uk/ is a rip off.
    Anyone any ideas?

+
    0 Votes
    TobiF

Much better to start your own question thread. Don't be shy!

• +
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

You say it sees the os then boots from the CD.

Have you changed the bios settings to boot from the CD first?

+
    0 Votes
    chris.lambert

The current Boot sequence is

CD
    Floppy
    HDD

But for some reason it looks like it checks the HDD first no matter what the order is.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

I've dealt with them in the past, mind you that was under warranty.

Maybe it's because they're stuck in a time-warp way down there at the bottom end of the UK!

Thing is, they told me I could remove my HDD before returning my Acer for repair under warranty, because they consider all Acer NBs as business machines and HD removal doesn't invalidate the warranty.

So, warranty or not, changing your HDD they should still be on talking terms from a support point of view.

Are you sure the BIOS is accepting your changes. ie Checking it again after power-down / power-up.

+
    0 Votes
    chris.lambert

Yep, double checked the bios settings.

However i have noticed something in the last 30 mins.

It looks to be an issue with the HDD and the laptop. I can put the HDD into another laptop and it will run fine. However when I put it into the Acer it won't see the HDD, but if I try a different HDD then it will see it.

The new HDD is a Samsung HM060HC if that helps any.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

But if the other laptop can recognise it, have you tried to format it on the other laptop and then returned it to the Acer?

Would that help the Acer "see" it?

What about the pinouts on the back?
    How are they set at present?

+
    0 Votes
    chris.lambert

I've installed Win XP Home & Pro onto the drive via another laptop but still the Acer won't see the drive. I have tryed the Pins as both Master and Cable select.

Both have the same out come.

I'm wondering if it's a BIOS issue. But even this seems a little unlikely as it see's other HDD's ok.

It's just seems to be the Acer and Samsung combination that won't work.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

How about the difficulties I've had for the last two years regarding my Acer and its TSST DVD-RW. It stopped recognising any media (blank that is) and only reads Magazine cover discs which have obviously been PRESSED rather than burned.

TSST = Toshiba Samsung Storage Technologies.

It's not just the HDDs that cause Acer problems.

+
    0 Votes
    kawash

Acer america are idiots. that is why you are having
    problems. The newer bios which they make impossible to
    update will recognize your samsung drive. Trust me I had
    the same exact problem. The acer Euro support site gives
    you the dos flash utility and readme files as well.

Here is the solution my friend.
    1. download Driver Free Disk For BIOS Flashing from
    bootdisk.com
    2. download the new bios from
    ftp://ftp.support.acer-
    euro.com/notebook/travelmate_4060/bios/3a06.zip
    3. create the bootdisk by running the executable from
    bootdisk.com then copy phlash16.exe as well as the wph
    bios file to the boot disk.
    I am assuming you can get your hand on an external usb
    floppy drive. boot from floppy and flash your bios. and
    your laptop will recognize the drive.

+
    0 Votes
    tipam

I flashed the BIOS using WinPhlash in XP under the old HDD. When the BIOS updated it saw the new Samsung Hard-drive! I then installed the setup files for a WinXP installation, but when it rebooted, the drive would not boot as if the BIOS can't detect the boot sector. Unfortunately, I can't find another BIOS update to fix this BIOS update!

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

Were you aware that there is a thing called "Acer Guaranteed Compatible HDDs" - I wasn't.

http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/Database_files/Acer_Laptop_Replacement_hard_drive.htm

It rather suggests that some HDDs may be more (or less!) compatible than others.

(Edited for benefit of last line.)

+
    0 Votes
    chris.lambert

Thanks.

Thats a new one for me to. I'll look into this a little more.

Looking at some of the prices on that website, it's almost cheaper to get a new laptop.

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

You reckoned that a swap-over did the trick. Your "bad" drive worked in another laptop and its HD worked in the Acer.

Seems to me you've already got a suitable stand-off that would accomplish your goal.

By the way, how's your optical drive holding up? Showing any signs of TSST-itis yet? My cure was a crossover cable: I just use the drives on my tower!

+
    0 Votes
    chris.lambert

The bad drive is still on it's last legs even when I swap it over to the other laptop.

The best solution is a new drive for the Acer. I'm going ot hunt around for better prices on the models from the web site you gave me.

Cheers

+
    0 Votes
    tipam

I get the same problem having updated to the latest BIOS (3A05). Strange thing is the HDD id shows up under passwords of the BIOS but the hard-drive isn't detected in the summary and isn't detected when booting up. I put the original HDD back in and it works? This must be a BIOS problem surely?

+
    0 Votes
    netptl39

Exactly the same symptoms:
    HDD is nearly dead, the CD/DVD drive is able to read only some dvds but no CD. I have an Original Microsoft Windows CD Bought with the tower and it is not recognized.
    Changed a few times the BIOS (under windows) between 3A05 and 3A06. but nothing really happened.
    The price onlaptopbits.co.uk/ is a rip off.
    Anyone any ideas?

+
    0 Votes
    TobiF

Much better to start your own question thread. Don't be shy!