Questions

Administrative Remote Desktop to Server 2003 fails with Access Denied

+
0 Votes

Administrative Remote Desktop to Server 2003 fails with Access Denied

a_amurphy
Using remote desktop and attempting to login to a Domain Member Server (running Windows 2003 Enterprise R2, fully patched, with Remote Desktop enabled with default config) using the Domain Administrator account (in the root domain of a single domain forest) I get an error that reads
"The system cannot log you on due to the following error: Access is denied. Please try again or consult your system administrator." after proper authentication is passed to the box in the RDC window. There are no active RDP connections to the server.
The server was just recently built, and is currently not in production. The Remote Desktop to the server worked initially, but quite recently and suddenly stopped working. As far as I can ascertain from all who had hands on the server, no one changed anything, nor did they apply any patches in the time between it working and not working.
The server is just running IIS and has a DFS root on it.
The server is accessible and fully functional on the network, only Remote Desktop is problematic. An RDP connection can be established with the server, but after proper and confirmed credentials are passed to the RDC connection it gives the error.

I've googled this but found nothing that speaks of this situation.
Does anyone have any insight or solution?
I would rather not burn an incident with MS.

Thank's in advance,
Adam Murphy
+
0 Votes
Jacky Howe

I found a bit of reading for you. It may help. The first one may have helped another user with the same error message the post was a bit vague.

How to override the license server discovery process in Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services

http://tinyurl.com/syt0

Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0)

http://tinyurl.com/2zk4ve

AccessTokenLimitation.doc

http://tinyurl.com/no9lg

+
0 Votes
a_amurphy

That's not my situation. We are 'not' using Terminal Server licensing, RDC is only used for administration. When used for administration you get two RDC connections plus the console without licensing. Like I said, this worked fine and then suddenly stopped working on this server, still works fine on all the other domain member servers and the DC, all using the domain administrator user to login via RDC.
There are no lingering RDC sessions on the server either.

+
0 Votes
a_amurphy

I disjoined the server in question from the domain and then attempted to rejoin it. This failed with an error of bad username or password, which was not accurate. I could join other machines to the domain.
I rebuilt the server in question and the issue is resolved. I can rejoin the domain with that box now and I can use RDC just fine. Bizarre, perhaps something with the SID's.

+
0 Votes
Jacky Howe

Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell have a utility called newsid.exe if you can find a copy it could come in handy next time. Or PM me and I will send you a copy. Glad to hear that you are up and running.

+
0 Votes
kindaechi

make time sync with ntp server to be similar ad. I can solved with this.

+
0 Votes
Mehul Bhai

Zombie Alert!!!

+
0 Votes
Mehul Bhai

Zombie Alert!!!