Questions

Anyone experience in Windows 2007 where certain websites will not open?

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Anyone experience in Windows 2007 where certain websites will not open?

VCHD_IT
Our agency just purchased 4 new computers that have Windows 2007, IE 9.0. This is our first exposure to Windows 2007 and IE 9.0. All our existing computers are Windows XP with IE 8.0. Everything is working fine accept that our our agency website and facebook will not open. We receive the message that the website cannot be viewed. These are the only two website, so far, that have this issue and this is true on all four new computers. I can open both website on the old Windows XP with IE 8.0.

I have loaded Chrome on one of the new computer and on the intial attempt I was able to open the agency website but never again. I have disabled antivirus and firewall with no change. I have played with the SSL and TLS settings in IE, no change. I've uninstalled Spybot, no change. I've disabled Protective Mode in IE 9.0 with no positive results. I've added the websites to Trusted Sites, no change.

I can ping the website using the website name and by using its IP address. I have attempted to connect to the agency's website using the IP Address with no luck. I have googled our website and then attempt to open through the link with no luck.

Has anyone experienced this and have a solution?
  • +
    1 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

That I would imagine is your Issue.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    VCHD_IT

Yes, I have checked IE settings. I recently brought in a personal laptop with Window 2007. From home on our network the laptop was able to open the website in question. At my office through the local network and through the wireless network it could not connect to the website.

It appears to have something to do with the DNS. I contacted our provider and they suggested that I connect a window 2007 box directly to the modem/gateway. I did and the 2007 box was able to open the website. So the issue is somewhere after the modem.

We have a CISCO Pix firewall. I'm wondering if it could be creating come kind of road block to the website.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

Does your web site use Adobe Flash for animation?

I would bet either JAVA is not installed properly or Adobe Flash is not setup on the PC.

Goto www.java.com and see if java is working. Adobe has a site to test Flash.

Clear the web browser cache completely, clear active logins, restart the browser
    Run the browser without add-ons and plugins
    Check if other sites load, e.g. check if https://www.facebook.com/ loads

+
    0 Votes
    VCHD_IT

No the website does not use any animation. Java appears to be working OK. I have cleared the browser cache and ran the browser without add-on still unable to connect to the website.

I have tried using an alternative DNS address with no luck.

I have tried Chrome and Firefox with the same outcome accept in Chrome once the initial connection fails Chrome presents an option to "Reload". Sometimes when I hit the reload option the website will open.

+
    0 Votes
    Deadly Ernest

the two most likely it could be are the zone setting or it could be to do with the security certificate setting.

+
    0 Votes
    hikari_elvira

can you give us the exact message that you are getting? it might be the system time is wrong

+
    0 Votes
    VCHD_IT

The message states that the website slow in responding.

+
    1 Votes
    SysWarTech

Does it work for anyone on Win7/IE9 outside of your network (or is it not available to Joe Public)?
    Do you use a proxy server?
    Have you supplied the necessary proxy settings?
    If so (and the website is on an intranet), have you configured the proxy exceptions?
    Check your route table & trace route: ROUTE PRINT, TRACERT - make sure the correct gateway is involved.

+
    1 Votes
    SysWarTech

Does your network firewall have a rule which only allows http traffic for certain fixed IP addresses (or certain hostnames)?
    Have you tried the IE9 compatibility view or hitting F12 & trying different browser modes?

+
    0 Votes
    VCHD_IT

We have a CISCO Pix Firewall which I have no experience with. An outside consultant set it up years ago. I am consulting with him to see if the PIX is causing the issue.

I have tried the IE 9 compatability with no luck.

+
    1 Votes
    MemphisDan

Try changing the display theme from Windows 7 /Aero to the Windows classic theme. I have had some websites that would not open under the Aero but worked fine under classic. Also I have had to downgrade Java from 7 back to 6 inorder to make some websites work ok.

• +
    1 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

That I would imagine is your Issue.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    VCHD_IT

Yes, I have checked IE settings. I recently brought in a personal laptop with Window 2007. From home on our network the laptop was able to open the website in question. At my office through the local network and through the wireless network it could not connect to the website.

It appears to have something to do with the DNS. I contacted our provider and they suggested that I connect a window 2007 box directly to the modem/gateway. I did and the 2007 box was able to open the website. So the issue is somewhere after the modem.

We have a CISCO Pix firewall. I'm wondering if it could be creating come kind of road block to the website.

+
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

Does your web site use Adobe Flash for animation?

I would bet either JAVA is not installed properly or Adobe Flash is not setup on the PC.

Goto www.java.com and see if java is working. Adobe has a site to test Flash.

Clear the web browser cache completely, clear active logins, restart the browser
    Run the browser without add-ons and plugins
    Check if other sites load, e.g. check if https://www.facebook.com/ loads

+
    0 Votes
    VCHD_IT

No the website does not use any animation. Java appears to be working OK. I have cleared the browser cache and ran the browser without add-on still unable to connect to the website.

I have tried using an alternative DNS address with no luck.

I have tried Chrome and Firefox with the same outcome accept in Chrome once the initial connection fails Chrome presents an option to "Reload". Sometimes when I hit the reload option the website will open.

+
    0 Votes
    Deadly Ernest

the two most likely it could be are the zone setting or it could be to do with the security certificate setting.

+
    0 Votes
    hikari_elvira

can you give us the exact message that you are getting? it might be the system time is wrong

+
    0 Votes
    VCHD_IT

The message states that the website slow in responding.

+
    1 Votes
    SysWarTech

Does it work for anyone on Win7/IE9 outside of your network (or is it not available to Joe Public)?
    Do you use a proxy server?
    Have you supplied the necessary proxy settings?
    If so (and the website is on an intranet), have you configured the proxy exceptions?
    Check your route table & trace route: ROUTE PRINT, TRACERT - make sure the correct gateway is involved.

+
    1 Votes
    SysWarTech

Does your network firewall have a rule which only allows http traffic for certain fixed IP addresses (or certain hostnames)?
    Have you tried the IE9 compatibility view or hitting F12 & trying different browser modes?

+
    0 Votes
    VCHD_IT

We have a CISCO Pix Firewall which I have no experience with. An outside consultant set it up years ago. I am consulting with him to see if the PIX is causing the issue.

I have tried the IE 9 compatability with no luck.

+
    1 Votes
    MemphisDan

Try changing the display theme from Windows 7 /Aero to the Windows classic theme. I have had some websites that would not open under the Aero but worked fine under classic. Also I have had to downgrade Java from 7 back to 6 inorder to make some websites work ok.