Questions

Anyone see this Xactimate 25.5 and Win7 VPN issue?

+
0 Votes

Anyone see this Xactimate 25.5 and Win7 VPN issue?

ACGPHX
Recently a clients laptop died and needed to be replaced. His old laptop had windows XP installed and he would frequently VPN connect to his Windows 2003 server and work from home in Xactimate version 25.5. As fate would have it, Xactimate is having issues with the VPN scenario now thats its been installed on a new laptop running Windows 7. Aside from the Hardware and Operating system differences ALL of the software and connectivity options have remained the same as they were under XP.

I have pinged the server by name while the VPN link was established and the IP resolves as it should. I tried disabling the AV software (AVAST) without any difference. The local SQL client and the server SQL services are both running. I am at a loss. Could the Windows 7 laptop being 64 Bit have anything to do with this?

When connected I can browse all the mapped drives. But when it comes to running Xactimate I receive the error "could not connect to server \fps01\Xactware1". Naturally, Xactware support doesn't support any VPN scenario. They gave a few pointers and then bailed.

Has anyone experienced this and managed to work through/around it?
+
0 Votes
ACGPHX

Does anyone play here anymore?

+
0 Votes
lanrat

Did you find an answer? - I have had this exact problem too and did manage to resolve it but cannot recall the details - it definately lies within the Win 7 settings for networking/VPN - I will try to find my notes.

+
0 Votes
Raistlin6881

Ianrat, please contact me re: Xactware. I have had some exp. with them and would like to trade notes.

+
0 Votes
ACGPHX

No, you are the only person to respond to this question. I've tinkered quite a bit with this problem and have had no success. I would appreciate whatever insights you could offer. Thanks

+
1 Votes
lanrat

If you have not already setup Xactimate as an 'exception' thorugh the firewall try the following -
- Open Network and Sharing Center
- Select - Windows Firewall (bottom Left cnr)
- Select - "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall" (top right cnr)

If already logged on as an Admin you can go directly to 2>

1> Click [Change Settings]
2> Click [Allow another program...]
- Scroll and select "Xactimate"
- Click [Add]
- ensure that the check box for the relevant (VPN) network *and* "local" network are selected
- Click [Ok]

Connect to the server via the VPN connection and see if this works - post back with your results, I'd like to confirm this was the final solution I used :^)

+
0 Votes
ACGPHX

I have an appointment to try this out on the clients laptop (in a public coffee house) tomorrow. I will let you know how things went. Thanks

+
0 Votes
rpluss

You solution helped solve my problem though. Xactimate 27.3 was not loading up after i clicked on the desktop icon. Received an error saying something like "Unable to connect to server". Followed the steps you mentioned (till step 2 allow another program)- added Xactimate and now it opens like a charm. This will go into my notes. Thanks.

+
0 Votes
ACGPHX

I setup the firewall exception but the same exact message appeared "could not connect to server \fps01\Xactware1"

I do really really dislike Xactimate's lack of flexibility with their program.

+
0 Votes
lanrat

Sorry to hear that :^(
Have you tried the VPN connection from a (private) location where you are confident all the relevant ports are open/forwarded or are you confident that an XP laptop connects ok from this coffee house? I'd be worried that there are too many variables outside your control using a coffee shop for this initial test. (Unless you had previously used the same location successfully with the XP laptop off-course)

+
0 Votes
ACGPHX

Yes, these are places where he's already VPN'd into the network and ran Xactimate in Windows XP.

+
0 Votes
lanrat

Hi ACGPHX - I fixed a (win 7) laptop with a similar error msg ("could not connect to server \[servername]\Xactware") late last week by applying the steps described earlier - I did nothing else! (I have no idea why this setting had disapeared)
I noticed your error msg had a "1" appended to the end (Xactware1) - I find that strange, do you have multiple installs of Xactimate on the server? How about the following - my client is running SBS 2003 R2 on the DC with the Xactimate DB backend mounted on the "data drive" of that same server.
What is your setup - Is your Xactimate 'server' a workstation, an app server or the DC and what OS is running on the DC?
When you replaced the XP laptop with Win 7 did you? -
1. Add the new laptop to the domain
2. Add the relevant (VPN/Remote Access) security certificates during the setup