Questions

best method for backing up DC or AD in server 2008?

Tags:
+
1 Votes

best method for backing up DC or AD in server 2008?

gavinjinks
Hey, I have recently installed a Windows 2008 server as my new Domain Controller... My understanding is that we can not run a backup domain controller with 2008? What other options do I have, and what are the best options?
  • +
    0 Votes

hi

markp24

Are you saing you cant use a BDC ? or your cant do a backup of the DC?
    you can make read only DC's which will work. To migrate to a DC you need to migrate the Schema and other master roles to the new DC (vs prooting a bdc to a pdc)

i hope that helps

+
    0 Votes
    gavinjinks

Hi, Thanks for the swift reply. What im trying to imply is that I have never used a BDC before, also, if its not the best way of backing up our DC, then what is?

I only have two other servers in our domain: a W2k3 and W2k file servers, is it feasable to use these as BDC's?

• +
    0 Votes

hi

markp24

Are you saing you cant use a BDC ? or your cant do a backup of the DC?
    you can make read only DC's which will work. To migrate to a DC you need to migrate the Schema and other master roles to the new DC (vs prooting a bdc to a pdc)

i hope that helps

+
    0 Votes
    gavinjinks

Hi, Thanks for the swift reply. What im trying to imply is that I have never used a BDC before, also, if its not the best way of backing up our DC, then what is?

I only have two other servers in our domain: a W2k3 and W2k file servers, is it feasable to use these as BDC's?