lemings
in having big trouble with my windows server 2003, i cannot ping any hoston my
network and also any host cannot ping the server, first i cannot ping 127.0.0.1
and also \\server ip dosent work, so i desactivate wins but it gives me now
the ping problem , my server seems to see itself and no one else in the network
pls could anyone help

Clarifications

markp24

can you provide the tcp/ip properties on the server. And the ip setup of the network its connecting to?
this will help.

• +
    1 Votes
    Kenone

You can't ping yourself? 127.0.0.1? Then your NIC is not installed or working.

+
    0 Votes
    oldbaritone

Something is hosed in the OS. Try booting from CD and running "repair installaion"; failing that you may need to reinstall.

+
    0 Votes
    Spitfire_Sysop

I agree that there is something terribly wrong here. Large ammounts of information would be needed to really solve a networking problem in a forum.

You want to leave WINS turned on for older clients but DNS is what links IP's to hostnames. If you can't ping by IP then you have a IP configuration issue. If you can't ping loopback then you are fukt. This may indicate that you need a new NIC.

+
    0 Votes
    dayen

if you updated your network card drivers roll them back if not try safemode wait 5 min
    after you login and windows will run a checksum in the back ground you won't see anything happening, then reboot if this dosen't work run chkdsk /p from install disk when you boot from disk let it run tell it ask for repair pick console
    if not it a bad network card
    P.S. I find this alot

• +
    1 Votes
    Kenone

You can't ping yourself? 127.0.0.1? Then your NIC is not installed or working.

+
    0 Votes
    oldbaritone

Something is hosed in the OS. Try booting from CD and running "repair installaion"; failing that you may need to reinstall.

+
    0 Votes
    Spitfire_Sysop

I agree that there is something terribly wrong here. Large ammounts of information would be needed to really solve a networking problem in a forum.

You want to leave WINS turned on for older clients but DNS is what links IP's to hostnames. If you can't ping by IP then you have a IP configuration issue. If you can't ping loopback then you are fukt. This may indicate that you need a new NIC.

+
    0 Votes
    dayen

if you updated your network card drivers roll them back if not try safemode wait 5 min
    after you login and windows will run a checksum in the back ground you won't see anything happening, then reboot if this dosen't work run chkdsk /p from install disk when you boot from disk let it run tell it ask for repair pick console
    if not it a bad network card
    P.S. I find this alot