Questions

Blue Screen of Death Error Stop: 0x0000007E

+
0 Votes

Blue Screen of Death Error Stop: 0x0000007E

STTorg
I have a Lenovo 3000 N200 laptop, and recently started having problems, so I ran the Restore System utility and restored the system back to a date when things were working normally. I then ran a scan with PowerSuite and fixed a number of problems the program detected. I then restarted and am now getting a BSOD error message Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF6CEFDA6, 0xF89A28E4, 0xF89A25E0). I have tried running the Restore System utility in Safe Mode, but it doesn't allow me to select any restore points, or there are no restore points. I do not have the system disk to do a repair installation. Any ideas?
  • +
    0 Votes

If WinXP, perhaps this page will help
    support.microsoft.com/kb/330182
    Related to device drivers and such...if so you may need to reinstall drivers,
    especially video.
    If using Windows 7, this page may help:
    support.microsoft.com/kb/979538
    Possibly due to USB device problems

To get to those pages, copy and paste into your browser address bar.
    Next thing to consider is getting rid of Power Suite...in my opinion
    it is little more than adware. Use a different antivirus package such as
    Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira, Avast...each are available for
    free use by home user.
    You may have to have a friend make you an Emergency Startup Disc
    for your version of Windows...that should get you at least booted into
    Safe Mode so you can repair any faulty device drivers.

+
    0 Votes
    hikari_elvira

try checking for hdd bad sector and it does have a lot then you have to reformat the hard disk. and if you want your files then tty slaving your hard disk. but first thing, do not open / remove (slaving) your hard disk unless it is still under warranty. we dont want to void the warranty.

+
    1 Votes
    Rob Kuhn

I've seen this happen before where the hard drive did not have sufficient space to completely boot the OS. If you can bring it up in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, check to see if you have sufficient space.

Also, what happens if you select "Last known good configuration" ?

You can also try starting the OS in debugging mode so you can see what the last driver loads before the BSOD.

The reaosn you are not seeing any additional restore points could be that they were automatically purged. This is determined by how much was allocated for restore points. If this is the case chances are the restore point you selected might have been right at the purge point.

Lastly, did you make any changes to the BIOS? I've seen where enabling (or even disabling) a setting/feature will cause an OS to throw a BSOD during boot.

Slaving the drive is a good option that will allow you to backup any data. I use a external IDE/SATA-to-USB adapter. It works with 2.5 and 3.5 inch HDD and is great for situations like this.

I will usually take it one step further when slaving the drive. I will use Acronis and make an image of the drive "as-is" along with making a copy of my data. This way I can attempt an OS repair on the drive without fear of losing anything. And if I have to reformat and reinstall the OS, I will have my data already copied and I can mount the Acronis image just in case I missed anything.

Good luck!

+
    0 Votes
    gadget

This was a new one on me...
    I started getting the BSOD frequently, like every hour or so.
    To try and resolve this I started by following all of the steps listed above then I started replacing drivers and hardware.
    Nothing seemed to work!

With the price of new PCs dropping I decided I may as well upgrade to a new one.
    After getting everything all set up on the new PC I decided to install my SSD for my operating system. I formated the drive and copied my operating system and program files to it, set it as my boot drive and as soon as I booted my new PC the BSOD returned!

I called the manufacturer of the SSD and found that there was a bug in the original firmware that after so many hours it would cause the BSOD, a simple firmware upgrade solved the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    dayen

Check your memory make sure it's seated (remove one chip at a time to see if one is going bad)
    I also vote for not using power suite

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

It's available free here

http://www.ultimatebootcd .com/download.html

remember to remove the space from between ultimatebootcd and the .com for a working link.

Col

• +
    0 Votes

If WinXP, perhaps this page will help
    support.microsoft.com/kb/330182
    Related to device drivers and such...if so you may need to reinstall drivers,
    especially video.
    If using Windows 7, this page may help:
    support.microsoft.com/kb/979538
    Possibly due to USB device problems

To get to those pages, copy and paste into your browser address bar.
    Next thing to consider is getting rid of Power Suite...in my opinion
    it is little more than adware. Use a different antivirus package such as
    Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira, Avast...each are available for
    free use by home user.
    You may have to have a friend make you an Emergency Startup Disc
    for your version of Windows...that should get you at least booted into
    Safe Mode so you can repair any faulty device drivers.

+
    0 Votes
    hikari_elvira

try checking for hdd bad sector and it does have a lot then you have to reformat the hard disk. and if you want your files then tty slaving your hard disk. but first thing, do not open / remove (slaving) your hard disk unless it is still under warranty. we dont want to void the warranty.

+
    1 Votes
    Rob Kuhn

I've seen this happen before where the hard drive did not have sufficient space to completely boot the OS. If you can bring it up in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, check to see if you have sufficient space.

Also, what happens if you select "Last known good configuration" ?

You can also try starting the OS in debugging mode so you can see what the last driver loads before the BSOD.

The reaosn you are not seeing any additional restore points could be that they were automatically purged. This is determined by how much was allocated for restore points. If this is the case chances are the restore point you selected might have been right at the purge point.

Lastly, did you make any changes to the BIOS? I've seen where enabling (or even disabling) a setting/feature will cause an OS to throw a BSOD during boot.

Slaving the drive is a good option that will allow you to backup any data. I use a external IDE/SATA-to-USB adapter. It works with 2.5 and 3.5 inch HDD and is great for situations like this.

I will usually take it one step further when slaving the drive. I will use Acronis and make an image of the drive "as-is" along with making a copy of my data. This way I can attempt an OS repair on the drive without fear of losing anything. And if I have to reformat and reinstall the OS, I will have my data already copied and I can mount the Acronis image just in case I missed anything.

Good luck!

+
    0 Votes
    gadget

This was a new one on me...
    I started getting the BSOD frequently, like every hour or so.
    To try and resolve this I started by following all of the steps listed above then I started replacing drivers and hardware.
    Nothing seemed to work!

With the price of new PCs dropping I decided I may as well upgrade to a new one.
    After getting everything all set up on the new PC I decided to install my SSD for my operating system. I formated the drive and copied my operating system and program files to it, set it as my boot drive and as soon as I booted my new PC the BSOD returned!

I called the manufacturer of the SSD and found that there was a bug in the original firmware that after so many hours it would cause the BSOD, a simple firmware upgrade solved the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    dayen

Check your memory make sure it's seated (remove one chip at a time to see if one is going bad)
    I also vote for not using power suite

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

It's available free here

http://www.ultimatebootcd .com/download.html

remember to remove the space from between ultimatebootcd and the .com for a working link.

Col