Questions

Can not log into Windows Server 2003

+
0 Votes

Can not log into Windows Server 2003

jmorr34
When I switch over to my primary domain controller and try to log in by pressing CTRL ALT DEL, it does nothing. I am unable to bring up the screen to type in my username and password. Any ideas what may be the problem? or would it be alright to just force the power off and turn it back on? I do have a seconday dc.

Thanks,
J
  • +
    0 Votes
    Koerper

My first thought is that it lost connection with the keyboard. That's a pretty common problem with KVM switch boxes. If rebooting the switch box doesn't fix it, you might have to reboot the server. Alternatively, some server hardware (especially if it's more than a few years old) doesn't like having a ps/2 keyboard unplugged or plugged in while the power is on. A reboot will fix that also.

+
    0 Votes
    jmorr34

thanks jc, the line to the switch must be bad. I thought I had checked that before, but I must not have.

• +
    0 Votes
    Koerper

My first thought is that it lost connection with the keyboard. That's a pretty common problem with KVM switch boxes. If rebooting the switch box doesn't fix it, you might have to reboot the server. Alternatively, some server hardware (especially if it's more than a few years old) doesn't like having a ps/2 keyboard unplugged or plugged in while the power is on. A reboot will fix that also.

+
    0 Votes
    jmorr34

thanks jc, the line to the switch must be bad. I thought I had checked that before, but I must not have.