Questions

Answer for:

Can wireless (in my home) be broken in to.

Message 12 of 15

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
ericson007

If you have some hardware lying around. A good way of protecting the wifi a little more is to run it behind a firewall. Also before having access to the net to have a captive portal to authenticate through, if possible also WPA 2 - Enterprise. Not really likely to keep out someone really determined, however, it will beat almost certainly 99.9% of the script kiddies.

Your brother is a very smart man though. With the ever increasing speeds of ISP services, I do not understand why you want wireless. At home here I have a 1gbps up/down fiber connection. Connecting to that with a wireless device loosing 480 mpbs on my last test, I would rather just stick with wire as well. Ever tried CIFS shares from a cheap non enterprise NAS over wireless. It's a dog, not that it is the fastest protocol ever, but wire does help data move along.

Especially in the U.S. where walls are generally dry wall. Cutting away, pulling wire and fitting a wall cat 6 plug is not that difficult and really increases the neat factor.