Questions

Cannot Save from Excel 2003 to networked location.

+
0 Votes

Cannot Save from Excel 2003 to networked location.

fabiola.c.villena
I am working witn an end user who has Office 2003.
Everytime she tries to use the "save as" option, chooses a networked location to save the file, she gets the following error "<filename> cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding."
The current file she works on is not read only.
She's able to save the file to her local machine, then copies and pastes it successfully to the desired networked location. But, of course, as all end users demand, she wants to be able to use the "Save As" option right from Excel 2003.
I have not been able to find any applicable solutions to this issue for Excel 2003. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
Clarifications Clarifications
+
0 Votes
Collapse -

What are her rights on the network?

+
0 Votes
fabiola.c.villena
Collapse -

I confirmed with the Server administrators that the user has full rights to the specific directory, subdirectories, and even two levels up in the directory structure on the network. She also is set as a Local administrator on the machine she's using.

+
0 Votes
Kjell_Andorsen
Collapse -

One thing I occasionally see in cases like this is when a Network administrator has given a user full NTFS permissions for a directory, but has left the share permissions at the default "Read only" level. One thing to check is to have her create a word document or some other file and save it to the directory in question.

+
0 Votes
fabiola.c.villena
Collapse -

The file in question is not read only.
She's able to save the file to her local machine, then copies and pastes it successfully to the desired networked location, and she's been using this workaround since I initally posted this thread. But, of course, as all end users demand, she wants to be able to use the "Save As" option right from Excel 2003.
She can create, edit and delete other types of files from other software programs such as Notepad and MS Word 2003.
The problem seems to be isolated to the use of the "save as" option within Excel 2003. Only on this case she gets the error mentioned above.

+
0 Votes
HAL 9000 Moderator
Collapse -

There are not more than 1 person with access to this Excel file are there?

If more than one person at a time is entering data or has the file open what you are describing is exactly what should be happening. As this user is attempting to use Excel as a Network DBase program when it's actually a desktop application only and can not accept input from different sources. If that's the case you are using the wrong Product and need to switch to M$ SQL not Excel.

If that's not the case and as other things in Office are working properly I would give M$ a call to find out what their software is doing as you are only having this problem with 1 application in Office. They may have a known problem and a solution available for Excel.

Col

+
0 Votes
Collapse -

Hi

Can anyone flash some light cannot save a excel file on network "disk full" we tried best to resolve but unforunate nothing working out ..i kindly need to check with M$ or technet...

+
0 Votes
pete.edelberg
Collapse -

It seems that our order forms which we have been using (same VBA code) for over a year stopped working since MS January patches. Has nothing to do with Network shares. Our current workaround is to save the file with a different name first in Windows Explorer, work away on the file and simply click 'Save' when done - no problems. I have approached several VBA MVPs on this and they can't figure it out. Has anyone contacted Microsoft directly or checked Technet?

+
0 Votes
dave.classick
Collapse -

I just wrote a macro today that attempts to save to a network drive to which i have full permissions.

Get the same error.

hopefully there is a response posted to this thread.

+
0 Votes
allisenw
Collapse -

I am having the same problem in Excel 2007. The user is opening up a spreadsheet he uses as a template more or less, doing save as, giving it a different name and it will not allow him to save it. I verified the share is set to Everyone full control and the NTFS persmissions give him and domain admins full control. Just for giggles I propagated his permissions on the folder and subfolders, and that didn't fix it. He can write, read, rename and everything but cannot save from the Save As box in Excel.

+
0 Votes
---TK---
Collapse -

you might want to start a new one... Also I would open the file up... click tools... and click share workbook.