Questions

Cannot Save from Excel 2003 to networked location.

+
0 Votes

Cannot Save from Excel 2003 to networked location.

fabiola.c.villena
I am working witn an end user who has Office 2003.
Everytime she tries to use the "save as" option, chooses a networked location to save the file, she gets the following error "<filename> cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding."
The current file she works on is not read only.
She's able to save the file to her local machine, then copies and pastes it successfully to the desired networked location. But, of course, as all end users demand, she wants to be able to use the "Save As" option right from Excel 2003.
I have not been able to find any applicable solutions to this issue for Excel 2003. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
Clarifications Clarifications
+
0 Votes
jim.cooper
Collapse -

Same problem here.

Firewall logs show blocked connection attempts from the 'saving machine' to port 80 and 88 on the target server.

+
0 Votes
floramarie
Collapse -

One of my user's PCs has the same issue. Were you able to find a solution?

Thank you!

+
0 Votes
cjm9950
Collapse -

NIC default set to "Auto Detect"
Changed it to 100MB Full

+
0 Votes
nic6666
Collapse -

I have the same issue, trying to save in 97-2003 Workbook (.xls) on two different network location. Having full control right in folder, local admin on my workstation.

I noticed that if i change the filename, i can have it to work. But i still don't understand the issue. If there is a space in the path and/or filename, it works.

Here are my results :
untest.xls doesnt work
untest .xls works (notice the space)

Book1.xls doesnt work
Book11.xls doesnt work
Book111.xls doesnt work
Book1111.xls doesnt work
Book11111.xls works

untest.xls doesnt work
untestt.xls doesnt work
untesttt.xls doesnt work
untestttt.xls works

+
0 Votes
OH Smeg
Collapse -

A couple of things here.

First it's probably not a great idea to tag at the end of a 7 year old question and expect much in the way of answers. Start a new question and you'll get a better response.

Secondly if there is someone else with the same file open when you try to save it then Excel will not be able to save the file no matter what else is happening. It's one of the things about Excel you can not have more than one person at a time working on the same file and have it savable.

Col

+
0 Votes
nic6666
Collapse -

Thanks for your reply. I know i should start a new question but i wanted to talk with someone who had seen the same issue and this post was quite near. (sorry for my english) I posted on a 7year old question and i got a reply in less than 24 hours, thats not bad!

Nobody else has the file open because the file does not exist yet (open excel, new ... , save as)