Questions

Can't Add New Vista Ultimate to Windows Server 2003 Domain

+
0 Votes

Can't Add New Vista Ultimate to Windows Server 2003 Domain

smcdaid
Let me preface this by saying that I don't have a lot of experience with using Windows Server 2003. I'm helping a small outfit out and they have a network that consists of one Win2k3 server as a domain controller running Active Directory.

They have 6 XP Pro machines running just fine.

The needed another machine and purchased one with Vista Ultimate. When I try to add it to the network, it can see all the other XP Pro machines and it can go on the Internet but I can't join the domain.

I get the following error:
------------------
The domain name DDCSYS might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller for domain DDCSYS:
The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DDCSYS
The following AD DCs were identified by the query:
pdc.ddcsys
Common causes of this error include:
- Host (A) records that map the name of the AD DCs to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.
- Active Directory Domain Controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.
-------------------

WINS is not running on this server but DNS is and the Vista machine is using the IP of the W2K3 as the DNS with no secondary. Like I said, it is going onto the Internet just fine...

Also, even though it can see all the other computers on the network, it can't see the share on the main server.

Any help would be much appreciated, I've been searching this problem high and low and so far while I've found some discussion, none of what I've found has been helpful.
  • +
    0 Votes
    jswentworth

In c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc on the Vista box you should see a file named Hosts, add an entry for the domain controller and its IP address in that file and then try to join the domain.
    Alternately I've been able to fix this issue by installing NetBIOS IPX/SPX on the Vista PC.

+
    0 Votes
    smcdaid

If the DC is at 192.168.0.101 and it is called PDC on the domain DDCSYS, should it be written as:
    192.168.0.101 pdc.ddcsys #DN

or
    192.168.0.101 ddcsys
    ?

+
    0 Votes
    smcdaid

I'm still getting the same error.

The DC Domain is a single word like XXX rather than XXX.XXX

I know when setting up Windows 2003 Server it suggests that this can cause problems.

Any other suggestions?

+
    0 Votes
    smcdaid

After bugging around with it, I finally fixed it by simply changing it to static IP and entering in all the IPs and subnets... it jumped right onto the domain.

• +
    0 Votes
    jswentworth

In c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc on the Vista box you should see a file named Hosts, add an entry for the domain controller and its IP address in that file and then try to join the domain.
    Alternately I've been able to fix this issue by installing NetBIOS IPX/SPX on the Vista PC.

+
    0 Votes
    smcdaid

If the DC is at 192.168.0.101 and it is called PDC on the domain DDCSYS, should it be written as:
    192.168.0.101 pdc.ddcsys #DN

or
    192.168.0.101 ddcsys
    ?

+
    0 Votes
    smcdaid

I'm still getting the same error.

The DC Domain is a single word like XXX rather than XXX.XXX

I know when setting up Windows 2003 Server it suggests that this can cause problems.

Any other suggestions?

+
    0 Votes
    smcdaid

After bugging around with it, I finally fixed it by simply changing it to static IP and entering in all the IPs and subnets... it jumped right onto the domain.