Questions

Can't do a "Save As" to a network drive using Word 2007

+
0 Votes

Can't do a "Save As" to a network drive using Word 2007

jbonin
I am getting close to the end of my rope. I am running Vista Business and Office 2007. When I open a document in Word it opens fine. When I try to do a "Save As" (a .doc file not the new format) to a network drive, I get an error "There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost." and the file is not written. I can copy and paste files to and from the network drive using Windows Explorer and (surprisingly) I can open a network file with Word and do a "Save As" to a local drive without any problems. I have tried the above with Windows XP Pro and Office 2007 and the same error occurs.

I have looked at the various Microsoft web sites for any help but I have not found anything that will help me correct the problem.

Any ideas?
+
0 Votes
david.nicholson
Collapse -

We are having the same problem. I thought at first it was a Vista problem, but I am having the same issue on Office 2007 with Win XP. Microsoft's response was to save it to your local HDD and copy to the network share. Sounds like a bug to me.

+
0 Votes
eviltwn82
Collapse -

We experienced similar problems with our supported computers. We determined that the problem was actually with the Antivirus software we use. In the settings there was a "Protect Network Drives" option that was enabled by default. Apparently this conflicts with the way Office 2007 handles network shares. Disabling the option resolved the issue for us on both XP and Vista computers, so I would recommend checking the antivirus settings :-). Hope this helps.

+
0 Votes
howellnj
Collapse -

The Antivirus tip is dead on. 12 new systems with office 2007 (our first) and CA e-trust. None could save to network drive if work was new from local template. Uncheck rule to inspect netword drive in e-trust and all function perfectly. Nice tip. No info at MS

+
0 Votes
TechBro
Collapse -

I had this problem with a USB drive and I thought I was just careless!

Not sure if this is the right path, but is the network drive formatted as NTFS? If not, maybe that has some interplay with Vista and Office 07. Try updating the FAT32 partitions to NTFS.

+
0 Votes
ben.rattigan
Collapse -

All the PC's I am running are Windows XP Pro, no Vista. All drives are formatted NTFS. This has been working fine up until just a week a go.

+
0 Votes
micpc
Collapse -

The problem seems to be with offline files. On the start menu, in the search field, type "offline files". Once offline files opens, click on disable offline files and then you will be prompted to reboot your machine. After reboot, you will be able to save to a network drive.

+
0 Votes
smallbiz-techwiz
Collapse -

I tried searching for "offline files" on my XP machine and it found no results. Was your solution only for Vista PC's? If so, how does he correct the problem on the XP machine?

+
0 Votes
micpc
Collapse -

The resolution I posted was done on a Vista PC with Office 2007. I have not tried it on an XP machine with Office 2007. To access offline files in XP: open My Computer, on the Tools menu click Folder Options, on the Offline Files tab uncheck the Enable Offline Files check box, hit Apply and OK.

+
0 Votes
smallbiz-techwiz
Collapse -

It looks like Offline Files is enabled by default. I disabled mine just as a preventative measure.

+
0 Votes
crcanassr
Collapse -

I installed Office 2007 on a XP/HOME computer and got the same errors. The I upgraded to XP/PRO and have the same problems. Yes, I disabled the Offline Files and still have the same problem. Actually Word 2007 creates an empty file on the network drive but it gives the error when it tries to write to it. Yes, I can write to the network drive from other apps. including Word 2003.