Questions

Answer for:

Can't find Windows 7 64-bit compatible drivers for laptop/notebook

Message 5 of 5

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
ReBornInSoCal

I just wanted to say thank you for your quick responses, and sorry it took me so long to get back to this issue. My entire household had the flu and when we all started feeling better I took a little time to relax and really enjoy the Superbowl unfortunately my team lost. lol
Hi Smeg, before I posted my question in Jan I used AIDA64 Extreme to identify the hardware on the Inspiron but it did not ID all the components in detail(ex: the touchpad) so i was not able to ID all the needed drivers. I'm not familiar with the software you mentioned so I don't know if it works any better than AIDA but I will look into it. Hi Andrea, I usually use a program called SlimDrivers by SlimWare Utilities for that and all though it seemed to identify and download the needed drivers I was unable to install all the drivers that it downloaded, when I tried windows popped up "failed to install" messages then aborted installation but it didn't tell me why. I am not familiar with DriverPack, but I am familiar with Softpedia the company that makes it, I have used other programs by them and they worked well so I will check it out. Hi Chas, going to the DELL website was actually the first thing that I did but they don't have the recent drivers because the Inspiron was originally shipped with Vista Home 32bit those are the only drivers they have available. There is link there for windows7 but when you click on it you get a message that says use the Vista drivers, I tried and that and it didn't work. As I mentioned to Andrea I usually use SlimDrivers to identify and download needed drivers for whatever comp i happen to be working on but this time that didn't work. The touchpad was not specifically identified by either of the programs I mentioned using, it keeps being identified as an OS2 mouse. Even the Dell website didn't ID specifically. I didn't think of checking MS update so I'll have to check it out. Btw I agree with you I definately prefer the 32bit version of Win7 for older machines unfortunately the 64bit was all I had available at the time. Thanks again for all the quick responses to my question.