Questions

Change path for pst file in Outlook 2007

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Change path for pst file in Outlook 2007

natterjack
Dear All
Please advise how could I change the path to locate Outlook.pst file in Outlook 2007.
The present path is
C:\Users\My Compuer Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
If I want to change the outlook.pst file to D drive, how shall i do it.

Thanks
natterjacktoad
  • +
    0 Votes
    -vgrepl.

Hello,

I ran into a similar problem few weeks back. From what I gather, you cannot change the location of a PST file, you can only delete and add PST files - not modify them.

Here are the steps I took to change the location of a PST file (I don't have Outlook 2007 installed, just from memory)

1) Open outlook
    2) Go to Tools --> Email Accounts
    3) Under (data) files, select the PST file you want to move, in its details copy the location (excluding the outlook.pst part)
    4) Close Outlook
    5) Select Start --> Run, and paste the location of the PST file you want to move, and hit enter. The folder with the PST file will appear.
    5) Copy (do not move) the PST file you want to move from its original location to the new location.
    6) Open Outlook.
    7) Go to Tools --> Email accounts
    select the option of adding a new PST file, and browse to the file you just copied over.
    9) Delete the original PST file from the Files menu
    10) Make the new PST file the default PST file (all e-mails will go directly into it).
    11) You should notice no change at all, your new PST file is under the "Outlook Today" in left-hand tree-view.
    12) If you want, delete the old PST file from
    its original location.
    13) You can repeat this for the PST file of archive, that is located in the same folder as the outlook.PST file.

Good luck! Let me know if this helped.

+
    0 Votes
    kire110

Your approach is not working for me.

I have two .pst files, one named Outlook.pst and the other one 'Outlkire.andov@yahoo.com-00000005.pst'. i cannot change the path for the second one and i would like to be able to change it too. I would like to keep the messages, but the pst file with the longer name which contains the messages i cannot move it. Do you think that you can help me?

Thank you in advance

+
    0 Votes
    boxfiddler Moderator

but I can help you create and save your own copies of .pst files wherever you want to put them.

File\Export - to a pst file - Save As\wherever you want to put it.

I have been doing this for years. Then if the Outlook default gets corrupt, I replace it with my most recent export.

edit: afterthought
    I don't allow auto-archiving, so Outlook's default .pst file rarely gets large and/or corrupt. This does mean I have to export as above on a regular basis.

• +
    0 Votes
    -vgrepl.

Hello,

I ran into a similar problem few weeks back. From what I gather, you cannot change the location of a PST file, you can only delete and add PST files - not modify them.

Here are the steps I took to change the location of a PST file (I don't have Outlook 2007 installed, just from memory)

1) Open outlook
    2) Go to Tools --> Email Accounts
    3) Under (data) files, select the PST file you want to move, in its details copy the location (excluding the outlook.pst part)
    4) Close Outlook
    5) Select Start --> Run, and paste the location of the PST file you want to move, and hit enter. The folder with the PST file will appear.
    5) Copy (do not move) the PST file you want to move from its original location to the new location.
    6) Open Outlook.
    7) Go to Tools --> Email accounts
    select the option of adding a new PST file, and browse to the file you just copied over.
    9) Delete the original PST file from the Files menu
    10) Make the new PST file the default PST file (all e-mails will go directly into it).
    11) You should notice no change at all, your new PST file is under the "Outlook Today" in left-hand tree-view.
    12) If you want, delete the old PST file from
    its original location.
    13) You can repeat this for the PST file of archive, that is located in the same folder as the outlook.PST file.

Good luck! Let me know if this helped.

+
    0 Votes
    kire110

Your approach is not working for me.

I have two .pst files, one named Outlook.pst and the other one 'Outlkire.andov@yahoo.com-00000005.pst'. i cannot change the path for the second one and i would like to be able to change it too. I would like to keep the messages, but the pst file with the longer name which contains the messages i cannot move it. Do you think that you can help me?

Thank you in advance

+
    0 Votes
    boxfiddler Moderator

but I can help you create and save your own copies of .pst files wherever you want to put them.

File\Export - to a pst file - Save As\wherever you want to put it.

I have been doing this for years. Then if the Outlook default gets corrupt, I replace it with my most recent export.

edit: afterthought
    I don't allow auto-archiving, so Outlook's default .pst file rarely gets large and/or corrupt. This does mean I have to export as above on a regular basis.