Questions

Cisco 2821 FTP issue

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Cisco 2821 FTP issue

cswebb97
I have a cisco 2821 router that is causing problems with FTP. I know this because inside the router I have no problem with FTP through our firewall and on to the server hosting the service. The previous network admin configured an acl for FTP on the router allowing all "IP" traffic to a specific server IP address. Also the ACL on the outbound traffic allows all IP traffic out from the specified server IP address. This works fine.

The notes for this configuration stated it was needed to solve active vs. passive ftp issues. That technician is no longer here so I cannot ask about it.

Now we need to set up ftp access to a service, but don't want to give access to all IP traffic to the IP address of the server hosting the service. I entered acl's that allow ftp and ftp-data through the router to the firewall, but don't see any traffic. Browser from outside router shows that the request times out. Also tcpdumps for the traffic coming from a known outside ip address never shows up on either the external or interal interfaces of the firewall. When attempting ftp access from a system outside the firewall but inside the router, I see the traffic. What is the router doing to the request?

What is the proper way of configuring a Cisco 2821 for passing ftp traffic to the firewall?