Questions

Cisco 2950 veiwing port configs

+
0 Votes

Cisco 2950 veiwing port configs

bemick8
Does anyone know how to view individual port configs on a Cisco 2950 switch? What I'm trying to do is identify devices on the switch by IP address without having to go to each device and disconnect it to find it in the switch. Working with unmarked cables in an environment running approx 40 devices on two 24 port switches. Can I run a show config of some kind that will display an IP address associated with each port? Not all devices are Cisco so I need something like a sh cdp neighbor detail that will show the IP addresses of non Cisco devices.
+
0 Votes
Triathlete1981

show interface fastethernet 0/1 (or whatever port you want to see)

you could also use this command:
show interfaces
to see all interface configs.

fyi - just in case you didn't know, the 2950 is end of life and is replaced by the 2960 series.

+
0 Votes
bemick8

I treid your suggestion and I get a ton of info except the one thing I am looking for. I need to see the actual network assigned IP address of the devices connected to the switch by port. The idea is that I can identify the patch cables in the switch without having to trace every cable. If I know the IP address, I know the device. I know that I can run a neighbor detail to see other Cisco devices by IP address, can I see everything else?

Appreciate the help.

+
0 Votes
CG IT

personally cable labeling using IP addresses is not the best way to go.

Most network cables are labeled using a series of numbers and these numbers indicate where they are physically and that is on a building diagram.

Catalyst switches don't use IP address, they use MAC address to build their tables. Port Security is also by MAC address.

If you are creating documentation, probably best to use MAC addresses as these are what you'll find in the switch table. Your documentation would be that cable 25211 = MAC 00-02-21-CA-11 that is in the accounting department and MAC 00-02-21-CA-11 is ACC1 workstation [name of workstation].

This way in using DHCP for addressing, you aren't wondering what happened to ACC1 workstation with IP address 172.10.0.100 when DHCP gives it a different address.

you'll also know that MAC 00-02-21-CA-11 is in VLAN 20 [if you VLAN] and that MAC is on port 14. That only that MAC address can be on port 14 [port security] and if whomever complains they can't access anything, and your monitoring your switches, you might find the switch port disabled because someone unplugged the computer and plugged something else in that shouldn't be there.

+
0 Votes
bemick8

Heres the deal. My customer wants all cables in their switches identified and labeled so they can move to a multiple Vlan environment. They use a set IP scheme at each location so I know what the devices are by their IP address, not MAC. Just trying to find the least time consuming way to accomplish the goal. I have several hundred locations to do this at in a short period of time. The devices are spread through out 45,000 to 50,000 square foot facilities.

From what I've been hearing, it sounds like Mac addresses is as far as I can go. I was hoping there was a neighbor detail type cpmmand that would show all IP addresses connected to the switch by port.

Thanks again.

+
0 Votes
CG IT

I'd bite the bullet and create documentation that's going to be useful in the long run and that anyone can come in, read it, and not screw up the network [assuming whomever comes in knows what their doing].

I'd document the cable runs using a numerical numbering system. got 100 cables..start at 1 and go to 100. then 1-22 go to switch #1 in rack #1 25 through 47 go to switch #2 in rack #1... MAC address blah blah is cable 2 on switch#1 in rack #1 VLAN blah blah.

if you have to know what cable is what, get a blinker which will blink the switch port light Psiber makes one.

here's a link to a retail online store. that unit shown is a psiber.

http://www.nudata.com/testers/cabletracker_network_id_kit.htm