Questions

Cisco 3560 switch and vlan trunking

+
0 Votes

Cisco 3560 switch and vlan trunking

tazz20019
I'm in an office with two outlets for separate vlans and need more links for pc's. I have one cisco 3560 catalyst switch. Is it possible to use each outlet as a trunk or access link to say fa11 and fa24 and assign ports 2-10 to one and 12-23 to the other?
+
0 Votes
NetMan1958

by "outlets"? I don't understand what your asking. Maybe if you give more detail, I can help.

+
0 Votes
tazz20019

I guess I really meant ports in a wall outlet, one is for the 10.70.50.0 network and the other for 10.70.120.0 network. A 24 port switch plugged into either one would be a switch for that single network with more ports than I need for either network. Can this switch be configured as essentially two switches, half on the .50.0 and half on the .120.0 without a layer three device?

+
0 Votes
NetMan1958

Yes you can configure multiple VLAN's and associated subnets on the same switch, however you will need a layer 3 device to enable communication between the different subnets. The 3560 is a layer 3 switch so you can configure it for ip routing and it will route the traffic between the different VLANs/subnets.

Hope that answers your question and you can post back if you need additional info.

+
0 Votes
CG IT

here's a Cisco article on Trunk ports for the 2900 series [layer 2]. These are also applicable to the 3500 [layer 3]. you just specify which switch port is a trunk port for your VLAN .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/releasesa4/eesoftconfig/masctrnk.html

The trunk port isn't a routing port for intervlan routing. you provide intervlan routing by creating subinterfaces on your router Network Interface.