Questions

Answer for:

Cisco Pix 506e firewall blocking Win07 from accessing a specific website?

Message 20 of 52

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
sanjiv2

Here is my understanding of your network:
http://www.gliffy.com/pubdoc/3741740/M.png

My Suggestions:
Here is my understanding:
Assumption A : If Webserver is outside the local network.[ol]
1. If domain name is accessible by XP workstations then it should be accessible by WIN7 as well. PIX does not care about the client OS.
2. Manually assign local IP address + DNS to one of the WIN7 computer and try if it works.
3. Note down the IP/DNS configuration of one of the working XP computer , turn it off and assign the same IP/DNS config to the WIN7 computer see it works.
4. Make sure do not launch the website from the shortcut. Open up the browser and type the domain name directly in the browser.
5. Try with different browser if required.
6. Try to ping the domain name as well as your dns server.
7. Open up the command prompt and type nslookup www.your-domain.com and see if your DNS server is able to resolve the domain name to an ip address.
8. Try changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and run ipconfig /flushdns and try again.
[/ol]Assumption B: If webserver is inside the local network [ol]
1. In order to reach the webserver behind the PIX using the public domain from the local network, one of the following has to be true:
[ol]
i. DNS doctrine has been done on the PIX.
ii. You have hosted local DNS with the local network and your clients have been configured for local DNS.
iii. Client host file has of local IP address with the public domain name, such as:
192.168.2.4 www.your-domain-name.com your-domain-name.com
[/ol]
2. Check the contents of the host file on XP clients:
3. Try reaching the website using the local IP address of the server such as http://192.168.2.4
[/ol]

It is safe to post entire PIX configuration provided you mask public IP, passwords (even if it is encrypted),domain names, or any other object name referencing your domain/company.