Questions

Answer for:

Cisco Pix 506e firewall blocking Win07 from accessing a specific website?

Message 28 of 52

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
VCHD_IT

Your assumptions are accurate accept that the individual computers could be connected to any of three 3COM switches, which are all interconnected to the same network, same workgroup.

Your two suggestions on commands to try on the CISCO are well beyond my comprehension on what they do. I feel that I might want to try them at a time when no one is connected to the network (after hours). I might come in this weekend or try Monday evening. Is there any severe repercussions on doing these commands? Is there commands to undo in case of an emergency?

Your question "where is the device that resolves your DNS queries? ". Here is the best answer I can give you. At any of the agency's PC the ipconfig /all command shows the DNS server address as those that belong to Comcast our internet and email provider. So I assume it is the Comcast Gateway box to the outside of the PIX. When I removed the PIX from the network and connected the Comcast Gateway directly to the 3COM switches the XP and 07 boxers had internet connection and the 07 boxes could connect to the agency's website. However neither boxes could connect to the agency network because they were assigned IP address (10.1...) outside the series used by our network (192.168...).