Questions

Compaq 8000T crashing

+
0 Votes

Compaq 8000T crashing

ike4
I have a Compaq 8000T computer that keeps crashing. It works fine for about 6-8 hours but after I re-boot it it has corupt files and missing files.
I used the restore disks I made when I got the system. I also did a complete install from a different XP Pro disk and loaded all the drivers I downloaded from Compaq and then upgrade them. With this install it seemed to work for 2 days and then it desided to re-boot on it's own and now is not bootable again!
Driving me crazy.
I replaceed the memory and the video card and got the same results. Possible mother board or CPU problem?

Ike
  • +
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

my first thought would be that your hard drive is dying. I would run complete diags on it...download those from the drive maker (eg seagate/maxtor, etc).

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

It has to be getting a bit long in the tooth by now.

+
    0 Votes
    MeadowsPV

Many bizzare issues come from a flakey PSU, or worse; the AC mains. If you don't have a UPS system on your system, you really need one. Power glitches and outtages are one thing; but a 'barefoot PC' will go nuts on a negative power spike. Most systems have ZERO tolerance for this.
    The other thought is if you have the system on an extension cord or cheap surge protector.. [ Temporarily .. Plug directly into a known good wall socket ]. Then Go Buy a UPS that is sized for your system's needs. Make sure it is listed as an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulated] unit.
    One Last possibility is that some large load like an Air contitioner or Laser printer [ hopefully, no arc welders - grin ]is on the same circuit as your system..
    HTH

• +
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

my first thought would be that your hard drive is dying. I would run complete diags on it...download those from the drive maker (eg seagate/maxtor, etc).

+
    0 Votes
    OldER Mycroft

It has to be getting a bit long in the tooth by now.

+
    0 Votes
    MeadowsPV

Many bizzare issues come from a flakey PSU, or worse; the AC mains. If you don't have a UPS system on your system, you really need one. Power glitches and outtages are one thing; but a 'barefoot PC' will go nuts on a negative power spike. Most systems have ZERO tolerance for this.
    The other thought is if you have the system on an extension cord or cheap surge protector.. [ Temporarily .. Plug directly into a known good wall socket ]. Then Go Buy a UPS that is sized for your system's needs. Make sure it is listed as an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulated] unit.
    One Last possibility is that some large load like an Air contitioner or Laser printer [ hopefully, no arc welders - grin ]is on the same circuit as your system..
    HTH