Questions

Answer for:

Computer turning off and on, on its own....

Message 140 of 139

View entire thread
+
1 Votes
AlaTech

It varies between vendors. Some of the switches if you look will have slide connectors on those, some unfortunately soldier them in thus you would need to trace those wires to the Motherboard connection and unplug at the motherboard. It should be a simple slide plug. Of course use a ground strap so that you do not fry any of the components.

The reliability of these switches is very good, but they can of course get damaged. Your machine does not sound old enough for wear issues. I have some antiques that still work fine in that area. Which means in one of your moves you may have had excess pressure on one of the switches that may have given the circumstance for the current problem.

Someone else may have to answer this part tho...The reset switch might not have to be connected for the machine to work, and then again might be in the POST check and may be required. If it allows no reset button that would mean you don't have the reset control. A minor inconvience by comparison. Either switch could still be the problem; but I think it will only be one. I would possibly take a picture of both switches and head to the local tech store that sells parts. The switches should not be expensive, they are for the most part simple relays with a spring release toggle built in.

The Power Switch must be used...I am not to comfortable with 'hot wiring' the power switch as a bypass.

It explains other things you described too; if the power cycles in mid POST then it can give some rather weird problems like the monitor issues you mentioned that is usually 'solved' by a clean problem free boot. If power fluxuates in operation it can have odd acting results too; that was a reason to suspect the power supply.