Questions

Dell 4550 PCI Input Device

+
0 Votes

Dell 4550 PCI Input Device

pentrex
Upgraded my Dell 4550 from XP Home to XP Professional. Right after that got some errors. All fixed successfully by updating and downloading proper drivers but the last one - "PCI Input Device" still decorates my Device Manager.

Tried to update the missing driver (as Manager says it is not installed) but couldn't. No drivers was found. Tried to look for appropriate input drivers in Dell's downloads. Found two input drivers but downloading those have not solved the problem either. Uninstalling the PCI Device and rebooting also have failed. Nether did updating the Chipset from the Dell site.

Anyone can say something what the "Input Device" is it referred to and what might be a cure?
+
0 Votes
seanferd
Collapse -

You could try the Unknown Device Identifier:
http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

Looking through the list at Dell would be difficult, at best, without the service tag number.

Was a PCI card ever added to this machine?

+
0 Votes
pentrex
Collapse -

No PCI cards were added and with the pre-installed XP Home there was no errors either.

Thanks. I will try the Unknown Device.

+
0 Votes
pentrex
Collapse -

Run as you recommended the Device Identifier and it instantly gave me all drivers IDs on my system. Based on that, it was not so hard to find a right driver. It turned out to be the Creative Lab SB Live Value Gameport. (never would have thought my system needs this weird widget but I downloaded it and the error gone)

Great thanks! The Unknown Device ID is is a great tool !

+
0 Votes
OH Smeg
Collapse -

And enter the Dell Service Tag Number for this system?

That will give you every Driver that this system needs and this device will be one of those.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

But at a guess the required driver is for the Track Pad.

Col

+
0 Votes
pentrex
Collapse -

Thanks. The problem is fixed. I have replied already.

+
0 Votes
OH Smeg
Collapse -

But I'm a bit confused the Game Port for the SB should have been installed by Default.

Col