Questions

Dell Demension E310 Window 7

+
0 Votes

Dell Demension E310 Window 7

dlcompu
Upgraded to Windows 7 from XP on Demension E310. The only problem is with the onboard video saying incompatible. Need DirectX 3D Video. Can a video card be install that is compatible with directx be installed and disable the onboard video? Everything else is fine.
  • +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

It has the ability to plug in a PCIe X1 Video Card so any modern PCIe Video card should suit your needs. Just remember to plug the monitor into the new Video Card and not the On Board Video Outlet as the Onboard one stops working when you plug in a Video Card.

Personally I wouldn't get too carried away with a High End Video Card as the Power Supply in the unit probably will not be sufficient to power it and you'll run into problems there.

This is all in the Owners Manual so you should read the directions supplied by Dell for this unit. If you no longer have your User Manual you can get one here direct from Dell's Web Site.

//downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-3100_owner's%20manual_en-us.pdf?c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs

Col

+
    0 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

I'm wondering if the OP ran a compatibility test on that machine before putting 7 on it...

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Purps why bother checking if it works with an Obsolete OS from Microsoft every one knows that Windows Just Works. :^0

Now why didn

+
    0 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

lol..yeah, i know Col....we had to wipe and reload a neighbor's daughter's laptop because her friend thought it could handle 8...ahhh, not so much...it's happier now after I put 7 back on it

• +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

It has the ability to plug in a PCIe X1 Video Card so any modern PCIe Video card should suit your needs. Just remember to plug the monitor into the new Video Card and not the On Board Video Outlet as the Onboard one stops working when you plug in a Video Card.

Personally I wouldn't get too carried away with a High End Video Card as the Power Supply in the unit probably will not be sufficient to power it and you'll run into problems there.

This is all in the Owners Manual so you should read the directions supplied by Dell for this unit. If you no longer have your User Manual you can get one here direct from Dell's Web Site.

//downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-3100_owner's%20manual_en-us.pdf?c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs

Col

+
    0 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

I'm wondering if the OP ran a compatibility test on that machine before putting 7 on it...

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Purps why bother checking if it works with an Obsolete OS from Microsoft every one knows that Windows Just Works. :^0

Now why didn

+
    0 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

lol..yeah, i know Col....we had to wipe and reload a neighbor's daughter's laptop because her friend thought it could handle 8...ahhh, not so much...it's happier now after I put 7 back on it