Questions

Dell Inspiron 1300 - how to reset to factory specs?

+
0 Votes

Dell Inspiron 1300 - how to reset to factory specs?

Goldenbarstewart
I phoned Dell but they want to charge me for the answer. I held down control + F11 but only get the windows offer to restore to the last know good config, etc. F2 takes me to the BIOS and F12 is only the boot sequence.
  • +
    1 Votes
    OH Smeg

If it doesn't have a Recovery Partition you need to use the Disc's supplied with the unit to reload the system.

According tot he Owners Manual for this model it doesn't have a recovery partition you need to use one of the supplied Disc's to reload the system. See page 76 of the Owners Manual. If you do not have the Users Manual any longer you can download it from here

http://support.ap.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/ins1300/en/om/om_en.pdf

If you don't any longer have the Recovery Set you need to contact Dell and buy a Recovery Set from them for this unit.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    Goldenbarstewart

There are three partitions on the HDD, two of which (the first and last) do not show up in 'Computer' but do show up in Disk Management (they are FAT 32) - the last one appears to have a folder entitled 'IMG' which seems to have a Ghost image in it. I was able to copy the contents of that 3rd partition to an external drive. I ran Ghost 12 from a CD but apparently that file is not compatible with Ghost 12. Possibly an older version? Also, from DOS, I cannot locate that 3rd partition, even though it appears to be FAT 32. That 3rd partition contains an autoexec.bat and config.sys etc. - I'm wondering if there is someway to boot from that.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

The full description of this is available on page 77 of the users manual.

But the bit you want is this.

Turn on the PC and when the POST Screen is on press the Ctrl & F11 Keys. Then click on Restore and then Confirm on the next screen and restart the system when it is finished.

I would suggest reading the full text of this process in the Users Manual as the above is just Paraphrased.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    Goldenbarstewart

Thanks - checked the User Manual. They recommended pressing Control + F11 as you did, but as I said, I only got the windows message indicating that Windows did not start properly and do I wish to go into safe mode or load the last good configuration, etc. This time I went into the BIOS (pressing F2) and reset it to factory defaults and also to show the full POST on startup. Now, upon restart, the Control + F11 worked, giving me access to the Factory Restore option. Yes - Ghost 8.3 shows up and is presently reinstalling the system to factory specs. Thanks for your input! It is, as always, very much appreciated. countryfriendly@countrycomputerscanada.com

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Your Welcome

• +
    1 Votes
    OH Smeg

If it doesn't have a Recovery Partition you need to use the Disc's supplied with the unit to reload the system.

According tot he Owners Manual for this model it doesn't have a recovery partition you need to use one of the supplied Disc's to reload the system. See page 76 of the Owners Manual. If you do not have the Users Manual any longer you can download it from here

http://support.ap.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/ins1300/en/om/om_en.pdf

If you don't any longer have the Recovery Set you need to contact Dell and buy a Recovery Set from them for this unit.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    Goldenbarstewart

There are three partitions on the HDD, two of which (the first and last) do not show up in 'Computer' but do show up in Disk Management (they are FAT 32) - the last one appears to have a folder entitled 'IMG' which seems to have a Ghost image in it. I was able to copy the contents of that 3rd partition to an external drive. I ran Ghost 12 from a CD but apparently that file is not compatible with Ghost 12. Possibly an older version? Also, from DOS, I cannot locate that 3rd partition, even though it appears to be FAT 32. That 3rd partition contains an autoexec.bat and config.sys etc. - I'm wondering if there is someway to boot from that.

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

The full description of this is available on page 77 of the users manual.

But the bit you want is this.

Turn on the PC and when the POST Screen is on press the Ctrl & F11 Keys. Then click on Restore and then Confirm on the next screen and restart the system when it is finished.

I would suggest reading the full text of this process in the Users Manual as the above is just Paraphrased.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    Goldenbarstewart

Thanks - checked the User Manual. They recommended pressing Control + F11 as you did, but as I said, I only got the windows message indicating that Windows did not start properly and do I wish to go into safe mode or load the last good configuration, etc. This time I went into the BIOS (pressing F2) and reset it to factory defaults and also to show the full POST on startup. Now, upon restart, the Control + F11 worked, giving me access to the Factory Restore option. Yes - Ghost 8.3 shows up and is presently reinstalling the system to factory specs. Thanks for your input! It is, as always, very much appreciated. countryfriendly@countrycomputerscanada.com

+
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Your Welcome