Questions

Dell Inspiron 9300 Advice Needed

+
0 Votes

Dell Inspiron 9300 Advice Needed

dermot_sullivan
My motherboard on my inspiron 9300 crashed and burned so being confidant in my ability to remove the old board and replace it with a new 9300 board i had ordered i got stuck in. I got the new board installed perfect but my new board has SATA connetions for the hard drive and my hard drive off the old board had Pata/IDE connections.

I'm prepared to make my old 80gb Seagate into an external device using Usb but i'm just wondering if anyone knew what size Sata Hard drive could i now fit into my laptop and if anyone could recommend a make or model.

Also is there advice for copying my operating system and files from my Ide hard drive to my new sata hard drive that i will purchase?

Thanks
  • +
    0 Votes
    retro77

Just have to be the 2.5" size. they are making these bigger and bigger. I've been looking to buy one of these myself:

Seagate Momentus 7200.2 ST9160823ASG
    160GB, 8MB Cache, 7200RPM

WD Scorpio WD2500BEVS
    250GB, 8MB Cache, 5400RPM

For performance numbers, check out this link:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage25.html

+
    0 Votes
    dermot_sullivan

I was just wondering what the best way of copying over files and operating system from my old IDE hard drive to my new Sata hard drive would be? Would you expect any problems in booting up when i insert the new hard drive

+
    0 Votes
    Alpha-Male

The sizes (now) are pretty close to standard. Just about any should work.

My personal preference is for Seagate Drives. They are well made, have good performance and a 5 year warranty in many cases. The fact the warranty their products for 5 years instead of 1 should say something.

I installed a 100GB Seagate Momentous drive in my HP laptop and have been very pleased with the performance.

+
    0 Votes
    james

First you will want an 80 or 120gig Harddrive. If your new HDD does not come with any ghosting software, bring your old and new drive to any computer shop or friends house that use ghost and they should be able to make a duplicate of your old drive onto your new drive. Put the new drive in the machine and Voila! It's like you never skipped a beat. Most shops should do it for around $50

+
    0 Votes
    nirmalkej

Your problem seems to be well covered, but I am interested in knowing where did you get the mobo from ?

TIA

• +
    0 Votes
    retro77

Just have to be the 2.5" size. they are making these bigger and bigger. I've been looking to buy one of these myself:

Seagate Momentus 7200.2 ST9160823ASG
    160GB, 8MB Cache, 7200RPM

WD Scorpio WD2500BEVS
    250GB, 8MB Cache, 5400RPM

For performance numbers, check out this link:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage25.html

+
    0 Votes
    dermot_sullivan

I was just wondering what the best way of copying over files and operating system from my old IDE hard drive to my new Sata hard drive would be? Would you expect any problems in booting up when i insert the new hard drive

+
    0 Votes
    Alpha-Male

The sizes (now) are pretty close to standard. Just about any should work.

My personal preference is for Seagate Drives. They are well made, have good performance and a 5 year warranty in many cases. The fact the warranty their products for 5 years instead of 1 should say something.

I installed a 100GB Seagate Momentous drive in my HP laptop and have been very pleased with the performance.

+
    0 Votes
    james

First you will want an 80 or 120gig Harddrive. If your new HDD does not come with any ghosting software, bring your old and new drive to any computer shop or friends house that use ghost and they should be able to make a duplicate of your old drive onto your new drive. Put the new drive in the machine and Voila! It's like you never skipped a beat. Most shops should do it for around $50

+
    0 Votes
    nirmalkej

Your problem seems to be well covered, but I am interested in knowing where did you get the mobo from ?

TIA