Questions

Dell Latitude D600 Administrator Password

+
0 Votes

Dell Latitude D600 Administrator Password

dennythewolf
I am currently trying to log on to a Dell Latitude D600 running window 2000 professional, I have the administrator password and can change all the set up stuff that I need (HDD password, config password etc.) but when I boot up and the user sign on dialog box appears I can not sign in .. I even tried to go through safe mode ..I tried using admininistrator as the user name and also tried leaving it blank ..I guess what I am asking is if there is some special trick or way to sign on with the admin password in windows 2000> THANK YOU MUCH FOR ANY HELP
  • +
    0 Votes
    Info-Safety, LLC

It is a good idea to change the name of the administrator account, for security reasons. If you DID change the account name, you will need to login with that username and the correct password.

I hope this helps.

Craig Herberg
    http://info-safety.com

+
    0 Votes
    dennythewolf

When I created the Administrator password it gave no option for creating a user name .. Thxs for the try

+
    0 Votes
    Info-Safety, LLC

Changing the Administrator account name is a Security Policy, not a setup option.

Craig Herberg

+
    0 Votes
    dennythewolf

Thanks for the clarification. What I meant is that when I went into the f2 set up (when u boot the machine) I was able to put in the administrator password .. any ideas on what to put in as a user name on the log on screen / Thxs again

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

"I have the administrator password and can change all the set up stuff that I need (HDD password, config password etc.)"

Do you have the password for the Windows Administrator account, or do you have the BIOS Setup password? They are two different things. However, based on what you said you can change ("set up stuff", "config password", "I went into the f2 set up (when u boot the machine)" ) you have the BIOS password, not the Admin password. Unless they were coincidentally set up as the same phrase, they're not interchangeable.

There's no trick to using the password for the Windows Administrator account, but I suspect you don't have it. Did you install Windows on this machine yourself, or did you buy it used from someone else?

• +
    0 Votes
    Info-Safety, LLC

It is a good idea to change the name of the administrator account, for security reasons. If you DID change the account name, you will need to login with that username and the correct password.

I hope this helps.

Craig Herberg

+
    0 Votes
    dennythewolf

When I created the Administrator password it gave no option for creating a user name .. Thxs for the try

+
    0 Votes
    Info-Safety, LLC

Changing the Administrator account name is a Security Policy, not a setup option.

Craig Herberg

+
    0 Votes
    dennythewolf

Thanks for the clarification. What I meant is that when I went into the f2 set up (when u boot the machine) I was able to put in the administrator password .. any ideas on what to put in as a user name on the log on screen / Thxs again

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

"I have the administrator password and can change all the set up stuff that I need (HDD password, config password etc.)"

Do you have the password for the Windows Administrator account, or do you have the BIOS Setup password? They are two different things. However, based on what you said you can change ("set up stuff", "config password", "I went into the f2 set up (when u boot the machine)" ) you have the BIOS password, not the Admin password. Unless they were coincidentally set up as the same phrase, they're not interchangeable.

There's no trick to using the password for the Windows Administrator account, but I suspect you don't have it. Did you install Windows on this machine yourself, or did you buy it used from someone else?