Questions

Desktop Experience features in Windows Server 2008

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Desktop Experience features in Windows Server 2008

daring
When building servers for our customers, I'd like to include Disk Cleanup and Mobile Device Center, but these are only available when adding the "Desktop Experience" feature. This feature will also add things like Media Player, themes, Sound Recorder, Calendar, Mail, etc. which I do NOT want on a customer server for performance and breakability reasons.

Anyone know of a way to install specific features on Server 2008 in a more granular way?
  • +
    0 Votes

http://www.serverwatch.com/stypes/servers/article.php/17193_3732336

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
    If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

+
    0 Votes
    jason404

I can't see how that is helpful at all.

+
    0 Votes
    jason404

Did you ever find a way of doing this?

I want to install only Windows Mail, while avoiding all the other rubbish, especially Windows Defender with all its annoying updates.

+
    0 Votes
    daring

Doesn't look like there's a way to separate them out at this time. The Windows 7 kernel looks far more customizable, so there's hope for this in the Server 7 future. I usually defend them, but I don't know what Microsoft was thinking in this case.

Right now as a solution, I think I'll be installing CCleaner and Defraggler on these 2008 servers. They are both fantastic programs, and free!

I would also suggest Thunderbird as opposed to Windows Mail, if you can't get it on there otherwise.

+
    0 Votes
    jason404

I want to install only Windows Mail, while avoiding all the other rubbish, especially Windows Defender with all its annoying updates.

• +
    0 Votes

http://www.serverwatch.com/stypes/servers/article.php/17193_3732336

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
    If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

+
    0 Votes
    jason404

I can't see how that is helpful at all.

+
    0 Votes
    jason404

+
    0 Votes
    daring

Doesn't look like there's a way to separate them out at this time. The Windows 7 kernel looks far more customizable, so there's hope for this in the Server 7 future. I usually defend them, but I don't know what Microsoft was thinking in this case.

Right now as a solution, I think I'll be installing CCleaner and Defraggler on these 2008 servers. They are both fantastic programs, and free!

I would also suggest Thunderbird as opposed to Windows Mail, if you can't get it on there otherwise.

+
    0 Votes
    jason404