0 Votes

Does exchange 2010 need to be separate from my DC

bobbyrobert
Hi All,

My setup is a HP Proliant DL180 G6 box
2 Intel Xeon quad core 2.40Ghz processor
32Gb ram
4x HP 6000Gb SAS 10k drives raid 5
I have a SBS2011 as my PDC, file server, print server as a VM on a vmpshere 5 platform.
This has exchange 2010 already install. my question is, will it be better to have a dedicated server running as a VM with Exchange 2010 on it, as ive heard not to run exchange on your DC.
If yes i want to run four servers as VM's
1) DC,file, print
2)exchange2010
3)Accounts software Irish, sage
4) Sharepoint, WUS
Can anyone tell me if this is ok to setup and if they have some recommendations for when i set this up. Or if anyone knows of a better way to do this, that would be great advise.
many thanks looking forward to all responses.
  • +
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

As well as your backup and recovery strategy.

With VMware, there is no performance penalty for spreading apps out over a greater number of VMs, as long as you have the OS licenses for that.

Sharing the DC with file/print could create issues since you don't need a very big disk for that, while you may need a lot of space for a file server. Backing up, restoring, or managing a VMware snapshot of a 20 Gig VM is lot easier than a 2TB VM.

+
    0 Votes
    bobbyrobert

Thanks for your advice

We have 26 users in our office.
    They mainly work with files nad emails.
    Our backup strategy is hosted on line backup.
    Our DC, file print server has been allocated 10Gb ram and 500Gb storage
    Looking to have a VM just for exchange is this possible or shall i just keep exchange on the PDC as its installed out of the box with SBS2011 standard.
    Thanks

• +
    0 Votes
    robo_dev

As well as your backup and recovery strategy.

With VMware, there is no performance penalty for spreading apps out over a greater number of VMs, as long as you have the OS licenses for that.

Sharing the DC with file/print could create issues since you don't need a very big disk for that, while you may need a lot of space for a file server. Backing up, restoring, or managing a VMware snapshot of a 20 Gig VM is lot easier than a 2TB VM.

+
    0 Votes
    bobbyrobert

Thanks for your advice

We have 26 users in our office.
    They mainly work with files nad emails.
    Our backup strategy is hosted on line backup.
    Our DC, file print server has been allocated 10Gb ram and 500Gb storage
    Looking to have a VM just for exchange is this possible or shall i just keep exchange on the PDC as its installed out of the box with SBS2011 standard.
    Thanks