Questions

Error 800 vpn connection

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Error 800 vpn connection

bzibbo
I set up a vpn connection to remote to my desktop at work on both my wireless laptop and home desktop both with Windows XP Prof installed. The laptop and home desktop are on a shared network. I have a 2Wire DSL modem. I can vpn and remote desktop to work with my laptop, but receive the 800 error on home desktop. IP address has been checked and re-entered. Password checked. Firewall settings appear to be the same. Need advice on what to check next.
Thank you in advance for your expert advice.
Barbara
  • +
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

check the setup of the router/firewall

+
    0 Votes
    bzibbo

According to the Management and Diagnostic Console for the 2Wire, associated outbound traffic through the firewall is checked.

+
    0 Votes
    rkuhn

Trying to VPN in to work with the laptop and the desktop at the same time? Or are you killing the connection of one before trying the other?

+
    0 Votes
    bzibbo

The laptop is turned off while working on desktop.

+
    0 Votes
    asmith

What VPN client are you running? If it is a Cisco VPN then you might have a problem with the GUI being up and still runnig while you are trying to vpn from the other device.

+
    0 Votes
    bzibbo

Built in with Windows XP prof

+
    0 Votes
    pablon74

I have the exact same problem under the same conditions, my laptop connects but my desktop does not. Only diference is that my router is a D-Link 610, other than that identical problem. Plz help!!

+
    0 Votes
    jnn4v

I am at a customer's office today, and when using their laptop, I can connect to their VPN, but when using mine, I cannot. Both are using the same network, and both are running XP. Mine gives Error 800.

+
    0 Votes
    Chris.Reynolds

Open a command window and use "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt"
    I have used this successfully on a couple of XP machines at work that used to connect OK via VPN, then suddenly stopped. An indicator for this is if the Error 800 message comes up very quickly after trying to connect

+
    0 Votes
    adam.lavery

Thanks Chris, after two days of tearing my network apart to find out why one machine couldn't establish any VPN connections, this fixed it! Should add though that a reboot is required to pick up the changes.

+
    0 Votes
    hjrjolie

I have heard of Norton Internet Security causing a problem, if you have NIS try turning it off and see if it will connect. Maybe MS's built-in firewall too?

2 cents worth.

+
    0 Votes
    greglfield

I have seen the issue with Nortel VPN and port 50 being blocked by the modem. we have the 2 wire in the test lab and even after opening vpn (port 50) it will not allow it to pass. There must be an issue with the 2 wire modem. I can't find a setting on it to just disable it's firewall altogether, so we'll probably replace it with another brand.

+
    0 Votes
    leyonchung

Go through with the simple steps and you will get rid of this vpn error 800.

1-Check out if you are using the correct server name as given by your subscribed VPN service provider

2-Make sure that you internet connection is working properly, if not then reset the adapter or modem, as the case may be.

3-Another method would be to ping the server. For this, click ???Run??? after clicking the ???Start??? button on the windows screen. Type ???Ping??? followed by the name of your VPN server or IP address. Press enter. You will come instantly come to know if the server is working or not, in the resulting DOS screen.

4-Look out if the network firewall of your system is blocking the VPN connection. If it is so, then open Port 1723 and enable Port 47 in the configuration settings for the firewall. If you are using L2TP VPN then ensure port 1701 I not blocked.

5-If any of the antivirus installed at your system is causing the problems in VPN connection than remove it or alternatively, add the the IP of remote client in its configuration settings.

6-If you are able to connect to VPN from your desktop but not from your laptop, it could be probably due to security software such as Microsoft OneCare that is quite capable of blocking GRE, uninstall it and check out the results.

7-Uninstall and reinstall the VPN client at your end, enter the provided username and password provided by your VPN vendor during the setup. If you are having problem with installing the software, seek the customer care support of your service provider.

8-Contact your server administrator if more than expected clients are currently using the VPN connection. Though, such an occurrence is rare.

9-If the problem still exists, make a request for VPN server security certificate verification.

You can also visit: http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/vpn-error-800

• +
    0 Votes
    w2ktechman

check the setup of the router/firewall

+
    0 Votes
    bzibbo

According to the Management and Diagnostic Console for the 2Wire, associated outbound traffic through the firewall is checked.

+
    0 Votes
    rkuhn

Trying to VPN in to work with the laptop and the desktop at the same time? Or are you killing the connection of one before trying the other?

+
    0 Votes
    bzibbo

The laptop is turned off while working on desktop.

+
    0 Votes
    asmith

What VPN client are you running? If it is a Cisco VPN then you might have a problem with the GUI being up and still runnig while you are trying to vpn from the other device.

+
    0 Votes
    bzibbo

Built in with Windows XP prof

+
    0 Votes
    pablon74

I have the exact same problem under the same conditions, my laptop connects but my desktop does not. Only diference is that my router is a D-Link 610, other than that identical problem. Plz help!!

+
    0 Votes
    jnn4v

I am at a customer's office today, and when using their laptop, I can connect to their VPN, but when using mine, I cannot. Both are using the same network, and both are running XP. Mine gives Error 800.

+
    0 Votes
    Chris.Reynolds

Open a command window and use "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt"
    I have used this successfully on a couple of XP machines at work that used to connect OK via VPN, then suddenly stopped. An indicator for this is if the Error 800 message comes up very quickly after trying to connect

+
    0 Votes
    adam.lavery

Thanks Chris, after two days of tearing my network apart to find out why one machine couldn't establish any VPN connections, this fixed it! Should add though that a reboot is required to pick up the changes.

+
    0 Votes
    hjrjolie

I have heard of Norton Internet Security causing a problem, if you have NIS try turning it off and see if it will connect. Maybe MS's built-in firewall too?

2 cents worth.

+
    0 Votes
    greglfield

I have seen the issue with Nortel VPN and port 50 being blocked by the modem. we have the 2 wire in the test lab and even after opening vpn (port 50) it will not allow it to pass. There must be an issue with the 2 wire modem. I can't find a setting on it to just disable it's firewall altogether, so we'll probably replace it with another brand.

+
    0 Votes
    leyonchung

Go through with the simple steps and you will get rid of this vpn error 800.

1-Check out if you are using the correct server name as given by your subscribed VPN service provider

2-Make sure that you internet connection is working properly, if not then reset the adapter or modem, as the case may be.

3-Another method would be to ping the server. For this, click ???Run??? after clicking the ???Start??? button on the windows screen. Type ???Ping??? followed by the name of your VPN server or IP address. Press enter. You will come instantly come to know if the server is working or not, in the resulting DOS screen.

4-Look out if the network firewall of your system is blocking the VPN connection. If it is so, then open Port 1723 and enable Port 47 in the configuration settings for the firewall. If you are using L2TP VPN then ensure port 1701 I not blocked.

5-If any of the antivirus installed at your system is causing the problems in VPN connection than remove it or alternatively, add the the IP of remote client in its configuration settings.

6-If you are able to connect to VPN from your desktop but not from your laptop, it could be probably due to security software such as Microsoft OneCare that is quite capable of blocking GRE, uninstall it and check out the results.

7-Uninstall and reinstall the VPN client at your end, enter the provided username and password provided by your VPN vendor during the setup. If you are having problem with installing the software, seek the customer care support of your service provider.

8-Contact your server administrator if more than expected clients are currently using the VPN connection. Though, such an occurrence is rare.

9-If the problem still exists, make a request for VPN server security certificate verification.

You can also visit: http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/vpn-error-800