Questions

Error with Routing and Remote Access on MS Server 2003 Enterprise R2?

+
0 Votes

Error with Routing and Remote Access on MS Server 2003 Enterprise R2?

Omniata
I have a ML530 G2 running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2.

After rebooting everything is fine, remote access works, as does the copy of teamviewer I have installed.

However, after about 10 minutes of initiating a VPN connection from a remote office the connection drops and the server is no longer accessible.

If I go into Routing and Remote Access and restart it the connections function again.

The server is fully licensed and appears to be in a good state of health.

There was a fault on one memory bank, but upon removing and reseating the DIMMS everything went back to ok...

The server has two 3.0GHz Xeon processors and 16GB RAM running fully redundantly, so only 8GB is available to the system.

The server is only running Routing and Remote Access, Terminal Services, File Server, Domain Controller and nothing else.

DHCP is handled by the router in the unit where the server is situated.

I need to know how to stop it from dropping the connections as it is being used as a remote access for sales to keep all the copies of their work and software localised.
  • +
    0 Votes
    Seonix

I would check the event logs, both Application and Security, to see if any errors appear around the time that the server is dropping off.
    Try restarting the RARS service to see if that fixes the issue as well. It would be interesting to know which service restart, if any, will resoilve the issue, rather than rebooting the whole box.

+
    0 Votes
    Seonix

System sorry, not security logs.

+
    0 Votes
    Omniata

I've tried just restarting the RARS and the same thing happens...

I get unlimited remote access but as soon as I initiate a VPN after the 10 minutes in drops all connections as if RARS is being turned off...

I suspect a virus infection and am looking at the worm with A,B,C,D and E variants...
    I'll try installing the Microsoft Fix it and see if the error continues...

+
    0 Votes
    Seonix

Have you checked the VPN timeout setting? Both on the server and the client?

+
    0 Votes
    Omniata

I've gotten a little further with this and it could be to do with the setup...

The server is set to use an IP of 137.248.21.10 in a range 137.248.21.1 to 137.248.21.255.
    The router is set to 137.248.21.1...
    The first 50 addresses are reserved...

In the RARS the range for the "Internal" on the IP routing config is set to the range available on the router...
    I believe this could be causing a conflict as when the VPN connection is established the address, eg: 137.248.21.2, appears in the routing table on the router...
    The then server drops its connection...
    The system then shows a memory error with bank C, upon restarting the error disappears and normal functioning resumes, until a VPN connection is established...

I'd appreciate some help setting this up properly, I could provide access to the server on a temporary basis for someone that's both confident and competent at this sort of thing ;o)

+
    0 Votes
    Omniata

Apologies, hit "-1" instead of "+1"

+
    0 Votes
    Omniata

After a bit more searching there appears to be an issue with logging between IAS/ISA and VPN and RARS... I will turn the logging off to see what happens... And reset the RARS and input the setting from scratch...

+
    0 Votes
    Omniata

Problem sorted!!!!

I had to disable all the logging features in RARS...

For the purposes for which the systems being used, development and small quantity of users, this is ok as I can monitor the system consistently and maintain any issues that arise...

• +
    0 Votes
    Seonix

I would check the event logs, both Application and Security, to see if any errors appear around the time that the server is dropping off.
    Try restarting the RARS service to see if that fixes the issue as well. It would be interesting to know which service restart, if any, will resoilve the issue, rather than rebooting the whole box.

+
    0 Votes
    Seonix

System sorry, not security logs.

+
    0 Votes
    Omniata

I've tried just restarting the RARS and the same thing happens...

I get unlimited remote access but as soon as I initiate a VPN after the 10 minutes in drops all connections as if RARS is being turned off...

I suspect a virus infection and am looking at the worm with A,B,C,D and E variants...
    I'll try installing the Microsoft Fix it and see if the error continues...

+
    0 Votes
    Seonix

Have you checked the VPN timeout setting? Both on the server and the client?

+
    0 Votes
    Omniata

I've gotten a little further with this and it could be to do with the setup...

The server is set to use an IP of 137.248.21.10 in a range 137.248.21.1 to 137.248.21.255.
    The router is set to 137.248.21.1...
    The first 50 addresses are reserved...

In the RARS the range for the "Internal" on the IP routing config is set to the range available on the router...
    I believe this could be causing a conflict as when the VPN connection is established the address, eg: 137.248.21.2, appears in the routing table on the router...
    The then server drops its connection...
    The system then shows a memory error with bank C, upon restarting the error disappears and normal functioning resumes, until a VPN connection is established...

I'd appreciate some help setting this up properly, I could provide access to the server on a temporary basis for someone that's both confident and competent at this sort of thing ;o)

+
    0 Votes
    Omniata

Apologies, hit "-1" instead of "+1"

+
    0 Votes
    Omniata

After a bit more searching there appears to be an issue with logging between IAS/ISA and VPN and RARS... I will turn the logging off to see what happens... And reset the RARS and input the setting from scratch...

+
    0 Votes
    Omniata

Problem sorted!!!!

I had to disable all the logging features in RARS...

For the purposes for which the systems being used, development and small quantity of users, this is ok as I can monitor the system consistently and maintain any issues that arise...