Questions

Excel 2003 - Assigning values in the dropdown list

+
0 Votes

Excel 2003 - Assigning values in the dropdown list

jmerrea
I really can't figure this out. I just made a dropdown list using the Data > Validation which the source was targeted in a diffrent worksheet. What I wanted to do is to assign each choices in the dropdown menu with a specific numerical value.

eg. if the selected choice in the dropdown is "Apple", then the value of "Apple" is "1" or if the choice is "Banana", then the value of "Banana" is "2" and after that, it will summarize how many people in the list chose "Apple" and the "Banana".
Is this possible?
  • +
    0 Votes
    deanna_miles

I am having the exact same thing. If you did figure it out can you share you results. I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks

+
    0 Votes
    RL_STYX

YOU SHOULD MAKE AN "IF" FUNCTIONS ONTO YOUR "SOURCE BAR" IN THE DATA VALIDATION LIST.. EG. TYPE =IF(A1="APPLE","1",IF(A1="BANANA","2"....),0)))....

EMAIL ME IF YOU ALREADY SOLVED IT..

+
    0 Votes
    contact4manoj

Try using the VLOOKUP() or HLOOKUP() function. You can use the TEXT() function to get the value of the selected item in the cell containing the dropdown list, and then use that to do a cross-table retrieval from the Data Area specified in the VLOOKUP() or HLOOKUP() functions.

Happy coding!

Regards,

MANOJ KUMAR SHARMA.

• +
    0 Votes
    deanna_miles

I am having the exact same thing. If you did figure it out can you share you results. I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks

+
    0 Votes
    RL_STYX

YOU SHOULD MAKE AN "IF" FUNCTIONS ONTO YOUR "SOURCE BAR" IN THE DATA VALIDATION LIST.. EG. TYPE =IF(A1="APPLE","1",IF(A1="BANANA","2"....),0)))....

EMAIL ME IF YOU ALREADY SOLVED IT..

+
    0 Votes
    contact4manoj

Try using the VLOOKUP() or HLOOKUP() function. You can use the TEXT() function to get the value of the selected item in the cell containing the dropdown list, and then use that to do a cross-table retrieval from the Data Area specified in the VLOOKUP() or HLOOKUP() functions.

Happy coding!

Regards,

MANOJ KUMAR SHARMA.