Questions

Excel 2003 intermittent problem

+
0 Votes

Excel 2003 intermittent problem

roywig
I am plagued by a recurring problem with Excel. Basically it consists of random and uncontrollable cell merging, which makes the whole programme useless. Any movement of the cursor merges the next cell up,down and across.The only way to stop it, is to shut the pc down competely and re-start. I am using XP professional with 1Gb Ram Plus three hard drives. I try to keep the Operating system separate on one drive and have most of the various programmes and files in another, with back-up in the third.
I have tried removal and re-installation wihout success and would welcome some more ideas.
Have a good New Year everyone.
Roy
  • +
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

You mentioned this occurs when you move the cursor. Might you have a "sticky" mouse button?

+
    0 Votes
    roywig

Thanks for reply and sorry for delay in replying.
    The mouse works fine (when Excel works) and with all the other programmes.
    If I close excel (Ctrl/Alt/Del/ is the only way after repeated use of task manager)then shut down and restart it Excel will work then - for a while: sometimes only after a few minutes sometimes a bit longer.
    I use an AMD Athlon motherboard with ext. clock 100Mhz -Max Clock 3000Mhz. Currently set at 1100 MHz. Also using NTFS system.
    Any ideas welcomed
    Roy

+
    0 Votes
    bill.hidek

I have this same problem. Did you ever find a way out? I've tried every combination of CNTL and ALT and Function keys but cannot find a way to free up the cursor other than rebooting - thanks

+
    0 Votes
    maus_haus90

I have this problem too and can only confirm what you are saying...any new clues?

• +
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

You mentioned this occurs when you move the cursor. Might you have a "sticky" mouse button?

+
    0 Votes
    roywig

Thanks for reply and sorry for delay in replying.
    The mouse works fine (when Excel works) and with all the other programmes.
    If I close excel (Ctrl/Alt/Del/ is the only way after repeated use of task manager)then shut down and restart it Excel will work then - for a while: sometimes only after a few minutes sometimes a bit longer.
    I use an AMD Athlon motherboard with ext. clock 100Mhz -Max Clock 3000Mhz. Currently set at 1100 MHz. Also using NTFS system.
    Any ideas welcomed
    Roy

+
    0 Votes
    bill.hidek

I have this same problem. Did you ever find a way out? I've tried every combination of CNTL and ALT and Function keys but cannot find a way to free up the cursor other than rebooting - thanks

+
    0 Votes
    maus_haus90

I have this problem too and can only confirm what you are saying...any new clues?