Questions

Excel 2007 file open problem

+
0 Votes

Excel 2007 file open problem

IT_crazy
I have one user that is having problems opening an Excel attachment in Outlook 2007. When trying to open the file it takes about 5 minutes or more before it finally opens. No other users have this problem. Has anyone else had this trouble and what did you do to fix it?
  • +
    0 Votes
    amentf

Is the version of MS Office on their PC version 2007? Is the attachment a 2007 version as well? Or are they different versions?

I have seen this when the two versions are different. (e.g. version installed on PC is 2003 and the attachment is 2007)

+
    0 Votes
    mafergus

If the user detaches the spreadsheet and opens it from their local machine, does it still take as long? Does it do this with all excel files for this user or just one?

+
    0 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

how close in specs are the machines? i'm just wondering if the one that take so long to open may be an older machine with less resources...?

+
    0 Votes
    IT_crazy

I'm sorry I didn't provide better detail. The sender has Office 2003 and the receiving person has Office 2007. If the receiving person saves the file to the desktop it opens right away in Excel. This person also has a new HP dx2400 pc with 2 GB memory and a 160 GB hard drive. All excel attachments behave the same way and I have checked the file associations and they are fine. Both users here are using XP SP3. If the user previews the file through Outlook 2007 it works right away. Seems kind of strange to me.

+
    0 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

option from the email and save to the desktop as a 1997-2003 workbook, see if that works, it not, let us know

+
    0 Votes
    mafergus

Did office 2007 come with the computer or was it installed later? and have you tried temporarily turning off virus scanning of attachments to see if that makes a difference.

+
    0 Votes
    IT_crazy

Office 2007 was installed upon receipt of the computer, however it was not installed when I received it (the 60 day free trial) that is commonly found on pcs. I checked the antivirus and it is set the same way everyone else is. Turned off attachment scanning and didn't seem to make any difference. Looks like I will just have to reinstall Office 2007. Thanks for your tips on what to try.

+
    0 Votes
    Sue T

but I read somewhere that you need to uninstall the trail version of Office 2007 before you install Office 2007. Apparently you can have issues otherwise. Sounds weird but I have heard of stranger things.

+
    0 Votes
    ITSeth

Is the user using the "preview" option to open the attachment?

If the file was made with 2003 and the user has 2007, if you have the Office compatibility patch downloaded, i am not sure if the built-in Outlook "previewer" utilizes it.

Edit: have you run diagnostics, aka checked for win updates?

+
    0 Votes
    IT_crazy

The preview option works fine and the user was using it for awhile. I ran the diagnostics and this didn't show any problems. The latest Windows XP and Office suite updates are all instatlled. The funny part is that now it is working like it should. I suspected that maybe one of the downloads didn't install correctly or ? but the user says everything works fine now. Obviously, something caused this but nothing is showing up in the logs. I thank all of you who took part in this.

• +
    0 Votes
    amentf

Is the version of MS Office on their PC version 2007? Is the attachment a 2007 version as well? Or are they different versions?

I have seen this when the two versions are different. (e.g. version installed on PC is 2003 and the attachment is 2007)

+
    0 Votes
    mafergus

If the user detaches the spreadsheet and opens it from their local machine, does it still take as long? Does it do this with all excel files for this user or just one?

+
    0 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

how close in specs are the machines? i'm just wondering if the one that take so long to open may be an older machine with less resources...?

+
    0 Votes
    IT_crazy

I'm sorry I didn't provide better detail. The sender has Office 2003 and the receiving person has Office 2007. If the receiving person saves the file to the desktop it opens right away in Excel. This person also has a new HP dx2400 pc with 2 GB memory and a 160 GB hard drive. All excel attachments behave the same way and I have checked the file associations and they are fine. Both users here are using XP SP3. If the user previews the file through Outlook 2007 it works right away. Seems kind of strange to me.

+
    0 Votes
    PurpleSkys Moderator

option from the email and save to the desktop as a 1997-2003 workbook, see if that works, it not, let us know

+
    0 Votes
    mafergus

Did office 2007 come with the computer or was it installed later? and have you tried temporarily turning off virus scanning of attachments to see if that makes a difference.

+
    0 Votes
    IT_crazy

Office 2007 was installed upon receipt of the computer, however it was not installed when I received it (the 60 day free trial) that is commonly found on pcs. I checked the antivirus and it is set the same way everyone else is. Turned off attachment scanning and didn't seem to make any difference. Looks like I will just have to reinstall Office 2007. Thanks for your tips on what to try.

+
    0 Votes
    Sue T

but I read somewhere that you need to uninstall the trail version of Office 2007 before you install Office 2007. Apparently you can have issues otherwise. Sounds weird but I have heard of stranger things.

+
    0 Votes
    ITSeth

Is the user using the "preview" option to open the attachment?

If the file was made with 2003 and the user has 2007, if you have the Office compatibility patch downloaded, i am not sure if the built-in Outlook "previewer" utilizes it.

Edit: have you run diagnostics, aka checked for win updates?

+
    0 Votes
    IT_crazy

The preview option works fine and the user was using it for awhile. I ran the diagnostics and this didn't show any problems. The latest Windows XP and Office suite updates are all instatlled. The funny part is that now it is working like it should. I suspected that maybe one of the downloads didn't install correctly or ? but the user says everything works fine now. Obviously, something caused this but nothing is showing up in the logs. I thank all of you who took part in this.