Questions

Excel 2007 freezing and locking up

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Excel 2007 freezing and locking up

jenl2881
My company recently switched from Office 2000 and 2003 to Office 2007. This is an accounting firm and some of the Excel spreadsheets contain 300,000 lines+. Some of the staff are having issues with the Excel spreadsheets (older files converted to the new Excel 2007 spreadsheets)locking up or freezing. One staff member has an issue where if she tries to copy one file into another or, say, copying 500 lines of one worksheet to another worksheet Excel freezes. When she tries to enter data the file is VERY slow and sometimes locks up.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue may be or what I can try to do to rectify the problem? Thanks!
  • +
    0 Votes
    jenl2881

We have already converted the files to Excel 2007 and the whole office has Office 2007 so we don't need to save in Excel 2003 format.

The issue is with freezing or sluggishness when copying between spreadsheets, adding data to a line, etc. The file also opens VERY slowly.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

but have a look at this.

Troubleshooting Microsoft Excel
    Excel has no normal.dot file like Microsoft Word, so troubleshooting it generally takes steps that are a little more difficult right from the start, but there's only a few things that could be wrong.

If all your applications are acting up, then you should probably clean up your hard drive first.

Files Won't Open
    This is often caused by one stupid setting. It's under Tools Options, General tab. Make sure that Ignore Other Applications is not checked.

XLStart Folder Issues
    First, if Excel appears to be trying to open a bunch of files when you launch it, check out the information about the XLStart folder. You may not need to come back to this article.

XLB File
    What the heck is an XLB file? It's where all your toolbar customization is stored. Sometimes, it becomes corrupt, and hoses up your Excel so that you can't use it. So, with Excel closed, you do a search for *.xlb files and you rename or delete them. Then relaunch Excel.

Dump the Excel Windows Registry Key
    There are many people who would rather that I didn't tell you how to do this. But any adult that's paying any attention can follow my steps. What we're doing is removing Excel from the Windows registry. When you launch Excel again, it will re-register itself, so you can expect it to take a little longer to launch than usual.

Hit Start, Run and type regedit and hit enter. Browse, just like you would in Windows Explorer or My Computer, to the following folder:

My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\X.X\Excel

X.X will be as follows, depending on your version of Word:

Excel 2000 is 9.0

Excel 2002/XP is 10.0

Excel 2003 is 11.0

Once you find it, right click the Excel folder, and choose Rename. Rename it to OldExcel. This is a quickie method of backing up your registry. Close the Registry Editor.

Launch Excel.

http://www.officearticles.com/excel/troubleshooting_microsoft_excel.htm

+
    0 Votes
    boxfiddler Moderator

save directly to .xlsx format? If so, and if you still have the original files you could try Save As... Other Formats... Excel macro-enabled workbook .xlsm.

Assuming that you use macros in your workbooks as the size of them insinuates such, it may be the macros that are the problem. I'd be curious to know whether or not this helps.

It may also be that older macros don't get along with Excel 07 and may need to be re-written, though I can't say for certain. Some of what I have read and heard suggests this possibility however.

edit: afterthoughts

+
    0 Votes
    john

I don't know if you have ever found a resolution. I have had similar problems (also an accountant). Problems are usually with large spreadsheets (more than 200,000 lines), but occasionally with spreadsheets of only 50,000 lines. Most often happens when trying to insert columns or rows.

Using Vista. I've checked out most of the hints posted here, but with no success.

• +
    0 Votes
    jenl2881

We have already converted the files to Excel 2007 and the whole office has Office 2007 so we don't need to save in Excel 2003 format.

The issue is with freezing or sluggishness when copying between spreadsheets, adding data to a line, etc. The file also opens VERY slowly.

+
    0 Votes
    Jacky Howe

but have a look at this.

Troubleshooting Microsoft Excel
    Excel has no normal.dot file like Microsoft Word, so troubleshooting it generally takes steps that are a little more difficult right from the start, but there's only a few things that could be wrong.

If all your applications are acting up, then you should probably clean up your hard drive first.

Files Won't Open
    This is often caused by one stupid setting. It's under Tools Options, General tab. Make sure that Ignore Other Applications is not checked.

XLStart Folder Issues
    First, if Excel appears to be trying to open a bunch of files when you launch it, check out the information about the XLStart folder. You may not need to come back to this article.

XLB File
    What the heck is an XLB file? It's where all your toolbar customization is stored. Sometimes, it becomes corrupt, and hoses up your Excel so that you can't use it. So, with Excel closed, you do a search for *.xlb files and you rename or delete them. Then relaunch Excel.

Dump the Excel Windows Registry Key
    There are many people who would rather that I didn't tell you how to do this. But any adult that's paying any attention can follow my steps. What we're doing is removing Excel from the Windows registry. When you launch Excel again, it will re-register itself, so you can expect it to take a little longer to launch than usual.

Hit Start, Run and type regedit and hit enter. Browse, just like you would in Windows Explorer or My Computer, to the following folder:

My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\X.X\Excel

X.X will be as follows, depending on your version of Word:

Excel 2000 is 9.0

Excel 2002/XP is 10.0

Excel 2003 is 11.0

Once you find it, right click the Excel folder, and choose Rename. Rename it to OldExcel. This is a quickie method of backing up your registry. Close the Registry Editor.

Launch Excel.

http://www.officearticles.com/excel/troubleshooting_microsoft_excel.htm

+
    0 Votes
    boxfiddler Moderator

save directly to .xlsx format? If so, and if you still have the original files you could try Save As... Other Formats... Excel macro-enabled workbook .xlsm.

Assuming that you use macros in your workbooks as the size of them insinuates such, it may be the macros that are the problem. I'd be curious to know whether or not this helps.

It may also be that older macros don't get along with Excel 07 and may need to be re-written, though I can't say for certain. Some of what I have read and heard suggests this possibility however.

edit: afterthoughts

+
    0 Votes
    john

I don't know if you have ever found a resolution. I have had similar problems (also an accountant). Problems are usually with large spreadsheets (more than 200,000 lines), but occasionally with spreadsheets of only 50,000 lines. Most often happens when trying to insert columns or rows.

Using Vista. I've checked out most of the hints posted here, but with no success.